I was driving a Renault Premium

First,I don’t like french,and i have just bad experiance with Premium,not knowing where to put my Legs.
So i started with some Hate in me,to have to,and not having a choice.,
Then,there were no gear stick,and no switch like Merc,MAN,Volvo,ect,ect
suddenly i found a handle too many on the Steering Wheel,and yes,it was.
Now what shall i say.
I picked up the trailer,around the building and out of yard,and i was surpriced nothing pushed my Anger.
a minute later i found out how to switch from Manuell to Automatic,and,at 04.30 the First Time after years i was sorry i had to park the Unit and couldn’t drive them any longer.
Result: Get a Job offered to drive a newer renault Premium.“Take it!”

I have only driven a Premium once, the first ten minutes were a bloody disaster pulled away in, I thought Auto, millions of revs but going no-where fast, stopped and asked the man what the hell am I doing wrong? Shown and OK till I wanted to go backwards, but after 7 days practice considered myself a novice. Good motor though and as only done the job for a fortnight quite enjoyed it and was then a ‘so called professional’’ because I CONSIDERED THE CHILDREN.

I had a premium for one night when my usual DAF 105 with bling was away for the night. the three good things about it were 1. I didn’t have to have a night out in it (crap for living in on long distance work) 2. The auto box was good through the M1/M25 road works. 3. It was dark and none of my mates saw me in it .

Oops sorry ! Serious mistake on my part. The Premium I drove would have been 100% perfect if only the curtains had the frilly bits hanging off the edge, as they were missing the motor was utter crap. The bed was fine as well, all night long and every night for a fortnight. :unamused:

if you want crap try an auto iveco 8 wheel grab :laughing:

i dont mind the premium we have a 08 auto which i drive often also agree iveco are ■■■■■

I thought they had Volvo drivelines in them anyway?

Harry Monk:
I thought they had Volvo drivelines in them anyway?

They do.

Ken.

Ive only had a shot of a demo a couple of year ago we got demos in from all makes. Pretty much guaranteed to either get daf or mercedes so i dont why we had renault and volvo demos. But i thought it was quite a decent truck gave it quite a good review on the feedback form, im a bit anti french so i kinda wanted to hate it :laughing:

merc0447:
Ive only had a shot of a demo a couple of year ago we got demos in from all makes. Pretty much guaranteed to either get daf or mercedes so i dont why we had renault and volvo demos. But i thought it was quite a decent truck gave it quite a good review on the feedback form, im a bit anti french so i kinda wanted to hate it :laughing:

i drive a premium full time and i was the same i wanted to hate it but beleive me nothing wrong with them just a little cramped inside …

bowser:

merc0447:

i drive a premium full time and i was the same i wanted to hate it but beleive me nothing wrong with them just a little cramped inside …

You’d consider them cramped? Do you have nights out in them? I only ask because aside from the Scania I had my training in, the company the agency have me with run all Premiums so they are all I have known so to speak. I’m 6’7-6’8 and on the overweight side of the spectrum and so far I haven’t really a problem with space. Then again I haven’t tried to get on to the bunk yet or anything else other than drive it. Nice to know other cabs are more spacious though if I ever get placed on a different contract.

The Pariah:

bowser:

merc0447:

You’d consider them cramped? Do you have nights out in them? I only ask because aside from the Scania I had my training in, the company the agency have me with run all Premiums so they are all I have known so to speak. I’m 6’7-6’8 and on the overweight side of the spectrum and so far I haven’t really a problem with space. Then again I haven’t tried to get on to the bunk yet or anything else other than drive it. Nice to know other cabs are more spacious though if I ever get placed on a different contract.

yes i night out regular and i could do with a bit more room , its not a big problem id sooner have my premium than not if you get my drift .other than that i love it .

I have been driving them for almost 2 years now. Good fleet lorry. 4-5 nights out a week.

Paul

I had a T registered one for a couple of days and found them horrible, this last week I have had a ‘57’ plate and today a ‘10’ plate. Surprisingly quite happy with the truck, the auto gear box has to be one of the best around and the 460 engine seemed to pull very well. On the downside I don’t like the gear change for reverse being on the stalk, and the worst thing about it is having the headlights on the indicator stalk, I’ve turned the headlights off 3 or 4 times today just indicating !!! They also don’t seem to like trailers with L.E.D lights and throw on every light on the trailer and give you warnings of bulb faults on the dash (both the units do this and there doesn’t seem any solving of the problem)

A word of warning though, the ‘57’ plate locked me out of it with the keys in the ignition after throwing a bulb fault error on the dash, I jumped out to check my lights (was locked in a customers yard just before hometime) and left the engine running, yep, you know what’s coming… Anyway, called Renault who said “It’s not uncommon on the premiums to lock the doors sporadically”, “How do you get into them then when this happens”, I asked. “We just bring a big bunch of keys and one of them will open it”, was the reply :slight_smile:

Kerbdog:
I had a T registered one for a couple of days and found them horrible, this last week I have had a ‘57’ plate and today a ‘10’ plate. Surprisingly quite happy with the truck, the auto gear box has to be one of the best around and the 460 engine seemed to pull very well. On the downside I don’t like the gear change for reverse being on the stalk, and the worst thing about it is having the headlights on the indicator stalk, I’ve turned the headlights off 3 or 4 times today just indicating !!! They also don’t seem to like trailers with L.E.D lights and throw on every light on the trailer and give you warnings of bulb faults on the dash (both the units do this and there doesn’t seem any solving of the problem)

A word of warning though, the ‘57’ plate locked me out of it with the keys in the ignition after throwing a bulb fault error on the dash, I jumped out to check my lights (was locked in a customers yard just before hometime) and left the engine running, yep, you know what’s coming… Anyway, called Renault who said “It’s not uncommon on the premiums to lock the doors sporadically”, “How do you get into them then when this happens”, I asked. “We just bring a big bunch of keys and one of them will open it”, was the reply :slight_smile:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Many years ago in the Customs park at Aosta (Italy), I was having a coffee with a Rennie Hogg driver who was driving his first (and Hogg’s) Renault Magnum. I asked him how it was, after all I was driving a lowly Iveco Turbostar, his reply still makes me smile some 18 years later.

He said “driving a Renault is like sleeping with a pig, it’s not too bad as long as none of your mates see you doing it”. nuff said. :grimacing:

Magnum or Premium, same truck different cab one has space one is cramped you choose. People who say the premium has enough space must have bean battery hens in a previous life.