Illuminated headboards

Years ago that was a fine in Spain,can`t remember the reason,something to do with advertising,worse in the Basque area.

same kinda thing with spotlights as well was’nt it?? (not for advertising!)i saw a spanish xf105 the other week, he had 6 hellas on the roof.

The coppers out there were making a mint out of it,i got done for vagrancy in Sunbilla,he asked if i had credit if i broke down or had to call for tyre call outs,suspecting a trumped up false fine,i told him i had no funds,and get nicked,he then goes off to the cafe on the northbound side,laughing at me with his mates,while he scoffed cognacs and whiskey,yes,that is right,many a time a bike copper smelt of a bar and cigaros. :grimacing:

toby1234abc:
Years ago that was a fine in Spain,can`t remember the reason,something to do with advertising,worse in the Basque area.

absolute ■■■■■■■■

kindle530:
same kinda thing with spotlights as well was’nt it?? (not for advertising!)i saw a spanish xf105 the other week, he had 6 hellas on the roof.

spotlights and light bars are allowed as long as the owner is willing to pay for them to be ITV’d (MOT) seperately every year and they must have a seperate switch to turn them off apart from the headlight control of the truck

Cheers wbis.
So if i went there (as i have done a few times) in my GB registered motor, that has a seperate switch to turn the spot lights on and off (the sidelights stay on when the lights are turned on thou, you can have full beam on the unit, and only sidelights on in the spotlights), would i get done for not having a Spanish ITV, or would i be exempt being a foreign motor? ive allways wondered this, quite often i would flick the power off to the lights if i thought there were police about…

in a GB reg truck you are not required to go to such lengths.
under EU rules a truck that is road legal in its country of registration is deemed fit to travel in other EU countries, thats why euro trucks can run in the UK without top wheelarches as they are legal in their own country.
however having that switch you have is handy in case you encounter a guardia civil who is not clued up on the traffic regulations

I agree ive been to spain a fair few times now … :wink: and have never had a prob with spotlights on roof …even had the gardia civil sit in front of me for miles on the nationals ,autopista …never had a problem :grimacing:

cheers for that!

welshboyinspain:
thats why euro trucks can run in the UK without top wheelarches as they are legal in their own country.

Incorrect mate, & I know first hand having been pulled for it in Dover, if your pulling a fridge or curtainsider even UK trucks can run without wingtops but not ‘unit only’ or pulling a trailer that doesn’t cover the missing wingtops, empty skelly / tipper etc.

Luckily I’d gone prepared and taken some curtainsider vinyl & cable ties to efect the above ■■■■ up (which is legal) & had I done this in Calais the VOSA geeza said I wouldn’t have been pulled!! (& given a PG9 for the rotten silecer & worn drag link end :confused: )

Ross.

I was under the impression that the headboard lights had to be able to be turned off if there was any coloured writing on the panel, as with a light behind it, it could show a red light to the front.

But as mentioned, if a truck is legal in the UK it is legal in the EU and vice versa.

bigr250:

welshboyinspain:
thats why euro trucks can run in the UK without top wheelarches as they are legal in their own country.

Incorrect mate, & I know first hand having been pulled for it in Dover, if your pulling a fridge or curtainsider even UK trucks can run without wingtops but not ‘unit only’ or pulling a trailer that doesn’t cover the missing wingtops, empty skelly / tipper etc.
Luckily I’d gone prepared and taken some curtainsider vinyl & cable ties to efect the above ■■■■ up (which is legal) & had I done this in Calais the VOSA geeza said I wouldn’t have been pulled!! (& given a PG9 for the rotten silecer & worn drag link end :confused: )

Ross.

thats not really what i said, i never said without a trailer as that would be a long way from home without a trailer :stuck_out_tongue:
just mentioned that a spanish truck if legal in spain for its mot is accepted as legal in the UK. it is legal in spain to run without wingtops with a trailer but not without a trailer, you were just trying to be pedantic :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

welshboyinspain:
you were just trying to be pedantic :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Pedantic, moi, surement pas?? :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

My point (probably poorly put) was, wingtops aren’t a legal requirement in the UK if your coupled to a trailer that covers them, so no less or more legal on a foreign registered truck than a British one.

Which actually raises a point, if you drove your Megaspace ‘bobtail’ in Spain without wingtops, would you be legal? or would it depend on weather? (that sounds more Spanish to me, fine in good weather, 5000 Euro fine if it’s raining :confused: )

Ross.

bigr250:

welshboyinspain:

My point (probably poorly put) was, wingtops aren’t a legal requirement in the UK if your coupled to a trailer that covers them, so no less or more legal on a foreign registered truck than a British one.

Which actually raises a point, if you drove your Megaspace ‘bobtail’ in Spain without wingtops, would you be legal? or would it depend on weather? (that sounds more Spanish to me, fine in good weather, 5000 Euro fine if it’s raining :confused: )

Ross.

Don’t forget all the Spagettimeks had was a a roller blind over the tyres and they were legal.

bigr250:

welshboyinspain:

Ross.

As he’s already said, no wing tops or trailer in Spain would NOT be legal.
However, Spanish Polis seem to be allowed to use their brain and make fines up as they go. They would probably ignore no wing tops or trailer on a Spanish truck in the summer, but fine a Brit running right behind his Spanish mate.

Simon:

bigr250:

welshboyinspain:

Ross.

As he’s already said, no wing tops or trailer in Spain would NOT be legal.
However, Spanish Polis seem to be allowed to use their brain and make fines up as they go. They would probably ignore no wing tops or trailer on a Spanish truck in the summer, but fine a Brit running right behind his Spanish mate.

Couldn’t have answered it better myself :smiley:

The point i was making was not associated with spot lights,i was on about the advertising and sign writting on the head board at the top of the cab,i have seen them nick them for it,but this was years ago,cant recall the specific offence.

toby1234abc:
The point i was making was not associated with spot lights,i was on about the advertising and sign writting on the head board at the top of the cab,i have seen them nick them for it,but this was years ago,cant recall the specific offence.

I know what you are on about but every volvo for J Carrion one of spain’s biggest hauliers has illuminated headbords and our very own dear old vascoingles his volvo’s have black and red writing on the headboards illuminated and they are not illegal. did you ask when you saw them getting nicked what the offence was?

the drivers came in to the cafe,while waiting for their boss to wire the money,and said it was the head board,circa 1990 onwards this is.

toby1234abc:
the drivers came in to the cafe,while waiting for their boss to wire the money,and said it was the head board,circa 1990 onwards this is.

20 years ago :unamused: well it was worth waiting 20 years for your post toby :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: