Hows the work in Scotland?

I’m moving over to Scotland, probably around the Edinburgh area, around the beginning of April and will be looking for work.

What kind of wages should I be looking for?
Any good companies to approach?
Anyone I shouldn’t approach?

Any advice appreciated!

I’ll be 25 in march, with my class C with my ADR in tankers and packages (except explosives and radioactives). I’ll have 6 months experience by then too; I’m doing agency work right now. I’ve also got my counterbalance forklift and a first aid qualification.

I’d love to do my class 1 but I need a bit more confidence first, and also, I can’t afford it right now. Agency work pays rubbish wages.

if your wanting night out work try pollocks at mussleburgh. top motors money is average, they do locals class two aswell… :laughing: :laughing:

Dapper Scavenger:
…snip…
I’d love to do my class 1 but I need a bit more confidence first, and also, I can’t afford it right now. Agency work pays rubbish wages.

Confidence??.. You got the confidence to drive class two, so you’ve more than got the confidence for class one mate… I aint ever driven anything, not even a 7.5 tonner, and I’m doing my class 1 at this very moment…

Get over here, and get going on that class one if you can mate, and all the best of luck to you…

Dapper you don’t say what area you are in now, but i would advise you to expect some pretty poor paying jobs in the Endinburgh area, especially class C. Though your ADR should help to lift it a bit.
The further north from London you go, the less the pay.

I am suprised by your view on agency pay. Generally speaking, an agency driver in any company, will be on better pay than the co’s own drivers.

There are £40k/year C+E AGENCY jobs to be had in the London area.

Well, I admit if I were offered a chance to do my class 1 now I’d take it!

I’m currently working out of Belfast, £5.50 an hour, or £6.00 an hour if its ADR.

There was loads of work just before Christmas, but its tailing off a little, and its a case of taking what you can get til something good comes along.

Driveroneuk:
Dapper you don’t say what are you are in now, but i would advise you to expect some pretty poor paying jobs in the Endinburgh area, especially class C. Though your ADR should help to lift it a bit.
The further north from London you go, the less the pay.

I am suprised by your view on agency pay. Generally speaking, an agency driver in any company, will be on better pay than the co’s own drivers.

There are £40k/year C+E AGENCY jobs to be had in the London area.

mayby dapper wants to work in a place free from smoke filled city and a place which is starting to expand in the workforce whether it be driving or office work,good luck in finding work should not think you’ll have a problem finding work it’s a great place to live.people are friendly.

dapper, there are plenty of driving companies around edinburgh,you just have to keep looking,places like semi-chem at newbridge,dhl/securicor at the gyle edinburgh,ups in the gyle there all worth putting in an application form on your arrival once you find your feet.you say you have class2adr well 30mins up the road you have BP they are class 2 tanker’s also rank hovis at leith docks they move flour. best thing you could do would be to join an agency and get your feet in the door,each company pays different the choice is yours good luck :slight_smile:

Securicor might not be a bad idea - I’ve done a couple of days with them here in Belfast through the Agency. Bit stringent on the rules but pleasant enough.

Thanks for the tips!

mayby dapper wants to work in a place free from smoke filled city and a place which is starting to expand in the workforce

True for both! I’m not a huge city fan - I’m only moving because I found that ‘someone special’.

KitKat, i hope you did not interpret my posting that i was decrying Scotland. Not all, i love the place, am vaguely considering moving to Moray. I was merely stating fact, drivers wages ARE lower there, than further South.

Dapper, glad to hear you’ve met a nice lassie. Wish i could find one :cry:

Rgds,
Jonathan

<<–Did a stint on agency for Semi Chem in Newbridge, not a bad effort, trunk to Newcastle(Washington Services), definitely want to try Pollocks in Musselburgh, I have friends that work for them, they like it. There are loads of haulage and own account companies in Livingston, and a few in Broxburn, definitely the WEST side of Edinburgh is where you want to be. There are also several places out in the Newbridge area, like Booker Fitch, if they are still around, got my first Class One job there, 142 Scania, scared the crap out of me…!!! lol Also across thestreet there is Fyffes, the fruit people, and if you get Class One DRIVERHIRE in Broxburn has a contract with them. There are lots of jobs in Edinburgh, you just need to go look for them, cos they don’t advertise.

You might want to also try the docks at Leith, guys like Chancelot Mill, I tipped there several times and they have their own vehicles, also can’t be that hard to get on at the breweries, they all have Class 2 dray work.

Good Luck, I’m sure you’ll find something

Just sometimes wish I was still there…!!!

Stuart

If the work and pay is anything like it is in Glasgow I’d avoid the move if you’re wanting to do either class 2 or 1 work. Struggled to get £5/hr on agency on class 2 in Glasgow a few years back when I lived there. I wouldn’t get your hopes up expecting to be straight in work - I think you might have a struggle on your hands, especially at this time of year.

Driveroneuk:
KitKat, i hope you did not interpret my posting that i was decrying Scotland. Not all, i love the place, am vaguely considering moving to Moray. I was merely stating fact, drivers wages ARE lower there, than further South.

Dapper, glad to hear you’ve met a nice lassie. Wish i could find one :cry:

Rgds,
Jonathan

no my friend thought never crossed my mind,yes wages are higher the further south you go but that’s for one reason and that’s the cost of living.edinburgh would be a great move for dapper he’s moving to a great city.