How far is too far?

Hi guys this is my first post after joining the site about 9 months ago. I’m looking for some advice!
I was lucky enough to be set on 7 months ago by a local firm doing supermarket type deliveries, and I quite enjoy working on my own, I work nights doing dcd’s.

The only downside to my job is the start times, I’m on nights Monday to Friday, if I was on nights Sunday to Thursday or Monday to Friday with a early start I’d be fine. I’ve spoke to my managers a few times about changing my start times but I’m not getting anywhere!

So I’ve had a quick job hunt online and found similar work with a 3k pay rise.

My only issue is the job is a 46 mile round trip every day whereas my current job is a 6 mile round trip every day!

Could you give me some advice on what you would do and how far you would be willing to commute to work?

Thanks guys :grimacing:

I would be willing to do a 600 mile commute, for the right job.

23 miles each way is nothing in my opinion. A doodle, go for it. For day work I’d drive anything upto 45/50 minutes each way, maybe an hour depending on job. If tramping distance is no object for right job. When I was at Virginia doing the TM job I used to commute daily to Tamworth from Bristol and to be fair I lost the will to live, it was awful!

[attachment=0]IMG_2156.PNG[/attachment]

Go for it

I do 120 miles each way, but usually only once a week. works out the same… If its a good job, it shows some commitment on you part

I do 34 mile round trip at a sedately 50mph & takes me 25 mins each way, so not much further, although it depends on where you live for the commutable time but nights should negate this.

It’s not so much how far, but more of a how long it takes. Can take a couple of hours to do 10 miles in certain parts of London at peak times.

To address your topic question though.

How far is too far? :open_mouth:

No means no… just remember that!!!

Maybe look at it this way:
40miles x 5 = 200miles a week. 40mpg car? Thats 5gallons or about 25 litres a week. Call it £30. Pay rise of £3k is about £60 weekly. So youre making £30 a week for the time it takes you to commute. But for that commute youre in your own car so probably feel more relaxed than at work. All roughn`ready figures. Financially about break-even-ish??
Being paid more, makes us all feel much better, and more appreciated.

Is it 23 miles each way on a fast moving motorway or 23 miles through traffic filled city streets. I always had a time limit, I’d never work more than an hour away from home.

the nodding donkey:
I would be willing to do a 600 mile commute, for the right job.

I am sure you would need to travel farther afield than that to find a decent job.

With the exception of 5 years living around 2 miles from work,I spent most of my working life commuting daily between the Leatherhead/Esher area and Heathrow area.Which could be more than an hour each way depending on traffic.

Let alone during the months before I got my driving licence.Which because the 285 service was so hopeless usually mean’t three different considerable bus journeys.71 Chessington to Surbiton,281 Surbiton to Hounslow,237 Hounslow to Feltham and back.Totalling around 2 hours each way. :open_mouth: :wink:

Thanks guys, youve helped me make a decision so I’m planning on applying on Monday! :smiley:

Pokerblade:
Thanks guys, youve helped me make a decision so I’m planning on applying on Monday! :smiley:

Good luck. :smiley:

Im sure well all share in the credit if its a good choice, but if it goes belly up, remember its You who made the call. :confused:

Pokerblade:
My only issue is the job is a 46 mile round trip every day whereas my current job is a 6 mile round trip every day!

Could you give me some advice on what you would do and how far you would be willing to commute to work?

All I’ll say is that in quarter of a century of driving lorries all but one job for 18 months has been 25-30 miles each way commute. Even before I started driving lorries most jobs were 25-30 miles each way, it is the joys of living in a crappy seaside resort and what you have to do if you want decent money.

Conor:

Pokerblade:

All I’ll say is that in quarter of a century of driving lorries all but one job for 18 months has been 25-30 miles each way commute. Even before I started driving lorries most jobs were 25-30 miles each way, it is the joys of living in a crappy seaside resort and what you have to do if you want decent money.

Wouldn’t it be easier to move where you live?

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

switchlogic:
23 miles each way is nothing in my opinion. A doodle, go for it. For day work I’d drive anything upto 45/50 minutes each way, maybe an hour depending on job. If tramping distance is no object for right job. When I was at Virginia doing the TM job I used to commute daily to Tamworth from Bristol and to be fair I lost the will to live, it was awful!

If that had been me Luke, considering that like yourself I’m used to sleeping out in a truck, I would have had a caravan or a camper in the yard, and running home at weekends. With a view to getting a flat or house if job turned out to be ok.
I’d never consider a daily commute that far.

As for the o/p if the job is ok, that sort of daily mileage wouldn’t be a problem gor me.

robroy:

switchlogic:

If that had been me Luke, considering that like yourself I’m used to sleeping out in a truck, I would have had a caravan or a camper in the yard, and running home at weekends. With a view to getting a flat or house if job turned out to be ok.

As for the o/p if the job is ok, that sort of daily mileage wouldn’t be a problem gor me.

Good idea but the whole reason i jacked driving for Virginia in was I wanted to have more of a home life living with friends in Bristol. I hated the job with a passion for about 70% of the time, last thing I wanted to do was sleep at the poxy place

switchlogic:

robroy:

switchlogic:

Good idea but the whole reason i jacked driving for Virginia in was I wanted to have more of a home life living with friends in Bristol. I hated the job with a passion for about 70% of the time, last thing I wanted to do was sleep at the poxy place

Ah right, ok fair enough. :smiley:

Franglais:

Pokerblade:

Good luck. :smiley:

Im sure well all share in the credit if its a good choice, but if it goes belly up, remember its You who made the call. :confused:

Haha thanks I’m thinking with the idea that it might well be donkey work! But at least I’ll be on days and if it’s not right for me I can make plans later on, eventually I’d like to try general haulage, containers and maybe tankers. I also fancy trying 4 on 4 off at some point :smiley:

Like you say you have only been there 7 months,dont know how many work there,but it could be your the newbie and have been given the shift or run that nobody else wants. Until somebody leaves or somebody else starts you are most likely stuck with it,after all you didnt need to take the job in the first place,it was your choice.
As for commuting 46 miles round trip its nothing if traffic is OK

I love my commute, ten miles in on Sunday/Monday followed by about three feet a day until Friday/Saturday when I do the ten miles back out again!

As for Luke, I would have tried my best to agree an arrangement where you are in the office on Monday and Friday, and occaisional midweek days for meetings, and working from home for the rest of the week. A company the size of Virginas would have planning separate from TM I would guess so you wouldn’t have to be in the office for taking calls from customers. You would also be a lot more effective as a TM, because you wouldn’t have all the distractions of being in an office.

Added bonus, you wouldn’t have to be hanging around a company you didn’t like, while still taking their money! Win/Win.