How far is too far?

I am looking for a job now ,And would consider 25-30 miles away from Coventry for the right day or night job.Tramping 1 hour away seems reasonable ,Any further might become tedious after a few months .I did a few weeks of going from Coventry to Birmingham and that was 19.5 miles away ,But because of traffic it was regularly 1 hour each way …So check the routes first …

switchlogic:
23 miles each way is nothing in my opinion. A doodle, go for it. For day work I’d drive anything upto 45/50 minutes each way, maybe an hour depending on job. If tramping distance is no object for right job. When I was at Virginia doing the TM job I used to commute daily to Tamworth from Bristol and to be fair I lost the will to live, it was awful!

An experience though Luke .And fair play to you for doing that trek so often.

Beetlejuice:
I am looking for a job now ,And would consider 25-30 miles away from Coventry for the right day or night job.Tramping 1 hour away seems reasonable ,Any further might become tedious after a few months .I did a few weeks of going from Coventry to Birmingham and that was 19.5 miles away ,But because of traffic it was regularly 1 hour each way …So check the routes first …

I used to run into Eye on a Sunday night and kip in the wagon when I was working for Bartrums. Home was Toddington, Bedfordshire. It was usually a pleasant drive in and the security guy would have the Chinese and the 007 ready for me when I got in. Thats over 100 miles each way btw, but I saw no difference between doing 50 miles a day round trip and 100 miles at each end of the week. Still spending as much time and money on traveling.

I don’t think it’s the mileage that’s the key factor but the time it takes on average, a 23 mile run into work in some places would be a breeze in others places it consist of crawling through traffic at a snails pace and only a minor problem stuffing screwing the entire local road network to a standstill.

As for is it to far? That would be a personal thing, with factors like cost and time factored in.

Franglais:
Maybe look at it this way:
40miles x 5 = 200miles a week. 40mpg car? Thats 5gallons or about 25 litres a week. Call it £30. Pay rise of £3k is about £60 weekly. So youre making £30 a week for the time it takes you to commute. But for that commute youre in your own car so probably feel more relaxed than at work. All roughn`ready figures. Financially about break-even-ish??
Being paid more, makes us all feel much better, and more appreciated.

Lucky if I get 20mpg. From mine.

biggriffin:

Franglais:
Maybe look at it this way:
40miles x 5 = 200miles a week. 40mpg car? Thats 5gallons or about 25 litres a week. Call it £30. Pay rise of £3k is about £60 weekly. So youre making £30 a week for the time it takes you to commute. But for that commute youre in your own car so probably feel more relaxed than at work. All roughn`ready figures. Financially about break-even-ish??
Being paid more, makes us all feel much better, and more appreciated.

Lucky if I get 20mpg. From mine.

I get nearer 50mpg from my drive to work car. Used to get about 12mpg from an old Beemer, actually got just over 20 on a run. Had to sell it, apart from the economy I was in danger of losing my licence: ■■■■ thing would NOT go slow! A workmate ran an old 7 series saloon for a while, always less than 10mpg ! But that was a turbo petrol V8 long wheel base thingy.

I live in Lincolnshire and worked for a company from Greenock for a few years, although it was 6 weeks on and then a week off.
I used to rent a car from Uddingston where we kept the trucks whilst on our time off and drive the 250 miles home.
Always a long drive back after being at home for a week but was a great job with some great lads.