How far?

How far do you guys travel too and from work?

The reason I ask is I have been offered a job working nights (6-5) but the only thing thats putting me off is the fact its 39 miles away!
If it was day work with a couple of nights out a week it would be a lot better on the petrol and not having to travel back and forth every day.

Any thoughts? :smiley:

total madness:

The reason I ask is I have been offered a job working nights (6-5) but the only thing thats putting me off is the fact its 39 miles away!
If it was day work with a couple of nights out a week it would be a lot better on the petrol and not having to travel back and forth every day.

If its all thats about… buy a little cheap diesel motor! Should keep you right at a tank of juice a week in a little punto or 206 or summet.

zippy!:

total madness:

If its all thats about… buy a little cheap diesel motor! Should keep you right at a tank of juice a week in a little punto or 206 or summet.

That all depends on how long he is planning to stay in that job.

Last week I left a job which involved a 60 mile round trip every night. I was there 7 months. I was spending £50 per week on Shell V-Power, as I drive a performance car, (which was bought as a weekend toy a few years ago.) I did the sums and worked out that I would have to be there for 3 years to make it worth buying a small diesel commuting car.

I just had to ■■■■-up the fuel bills whilst I looked for work closer to home and I start a new job next week and it’s just 2 miles away…close enough to get back on my bicycle and leave the car for the weekends. \0/

Yeh a cheap diesel motor would be the answer, they will run on veggie oil too,lol or theres a big tank on that truck you drive to take the odd couple of gallons out of lol

zippy!:

total madness:

Good call, got my eye on a golf diesel,
The only other set back would be it would probably take about an hour and a half getting there in rush hour so would have to leave at about 16:30 but on the plus side I should be home in about 45 mins the next morning being that early… so I would be home and in bed by 7:00am… Still a bloody long day or night should I say!

total madness:

Total madness, that’s what it is. :open_mouth: You must be off your rocker or more money than sense, one or the other. Max I’d ever do on agency was 10 mile away and considering the vast majority of the jobs involved using the M62 between Hudds and Leeds, I would only do them if the shift start and approx end times were nowhere near the rush hours. When you work it out, not only are you spending a fortune on fuel and making your motor worth £2.50 from that starship miles it will have on it in the end, but also the travelling time can easily make it into an 18 hour day if you’re doing full spreads.

Aah… happy were the days when we used to take the wagon home.

picasaweb.google.com/irishcanald … 8663826738

Tone

total madness:

zippy!:

total madness:

Good call, got my eye on a golf diesel,
The only other set back would be it would probably take about an hour and a half getting there in rush hour so would have to leave at about 16:30 but on the plus side I should be home in about 45 mins the next morning being that early… so I would be home and in bed by 7:00am… Still a bloody long day or night should I say!

Make sure it’s an old style TDI engine if you’re gonna do that. CRD engines don’t run on veg oil. Well, they do, but not for very long before your pump, turbo and injectors pack up.

Rob K:

total madness:

Total madness, that’s what it is. :open_mouth: You must be off your rocker or more money than sense, one or the other. Max I’d ever do on agency was 10 mile away and considering the vast majority of the jobs involved using the M62 between Hudds and Leeds, I would only do them if the shift start and approx end times were nowhere near the rush hours. When you work it out, not only are you spending a fortune on fuel and making your motor worth £2.50 from that starship miles it will have on it in the end, but also the travelling time can easily make it into an 18 hour day if you’re doing full spreads.

I was thinking it was a bit far but options are running out…Im not done yet tho so I wont stick a fork in just yet! just weighing up my options and its good to hear varied views and oppinions :smiley:

The golf is a tdi 150 mate so if im reading the reviews right, not only wil she be good on fuel but she will have enough poke to get past those bloody lorry drivers :laughing:

total madness:

Rob K:

total madness:

I was thinking it was a bit far but options are running out…Im not done yet tho so I wont stick a fork in just yet! just weighing up my options and its good to hear varied views and oppinions :smiley:

The golf is a tdi 150 mate so if im reading the reviews right, not only wil she be good on fuel but she will have enough poke to get past those bloody lorry drivers :laughing:

TDI 150 is Pumpe Duse unit injection and not common rail so you might be alright but personally I wouldn’t stick veg oil in that either as they gunge up the injectors and nozzles. Don’t say I didn’t warn you if it splutters to halt on the motorway one day. :confused:

total madness:

Rob K:

total madness:

Yeah they are pokey, plus six speed box built for longer journeys.

zippy!:

What he said!

Andrew Leitch:
Last week I left a job which involved a 60 mile round trip every night. I was there 7 months. I was spending £50 per week on Shell V-Power, as I drive a performance car, (which was bought as a weekend toy a few years ago.) I did the

Buy a £500 ■■■■■■ diesel van that does 50 - 55mpg to go to work in. Simples!

I will travel as far as it takes to charge my battery and warm the van up, 10 miles max. I’ve had it with travelling 40-50 miles to work. It may work for trampers but not for me on days.

Some of you, i.e. RobK & poster above, seem to forget that some of you are very, very lucky in that you live in an area that has many truck operators. Others of us are not so lucky & have little choice but to travel further.

Driveroneuk:

zippy!:

What he said!

Andrew Leitch:
Last week I left a job which involved a 60 mile round trip every night. I was there 7 months. I was spending £50 per week on Shell V-Power, as I drive a performance car, (which was bought as a weekend toy a few years ago.) I did the

Buy a £500 ■■■■■■ diesel van that does 50 - 55mpg to go to work in. Simples!

Err…no. The figures don’t add up!

£500 to buy the van = 10 weeks worth of Shell V-Power
Another vehicle to tax…costs more money
Another vehicle to insure…costs even more money
Diesel is more expensive than Shell V-Power…so the fuel costs more money
Driving at a steady 50mph I managed 47mpg in my high performance car…just slightly less than the 50-55mpg you claim a diesel van will get

So your cheap £500 ■■■■■■ diesel van isn’t so cheap after all and is more expensive to run for that short period…than my high performance car.
:laughing:

Been doing roughly 70miles a day lately which is about 6 tanks a month in my 2.5ltr vectra so £360 which I could rent a flat near the place for!

My brothers selling me his little corsa 1.3cdti though so things should improve, it does more than twice the mpg so looking at about 2to3 fifths of the cost I suppose, considering diesel’s more expensive.

I travel sheerness to purfleet Essex about 38 mile each way I think. I have a fairly new BMW its was costing me and arm and leg and I didn’t wanna keep. Getting in it with me dirty boots so I bought a little vw polo r reg its 1.9 diesel off eBay for £ 275 years mot now its costing me around 40 quid a week plus the toll

how does…

a 1500 mile round trip sound?

thats what i do

35 miles of crap roads so an hour but I only go on a Mon and come back on a Fri. Wouldn’t go more then 30 mins on day work.

OllieNotts:
35 miles of crap roads so an hour but I only go on a Mon and come back on a Fri. Wouldn’t go more then 30 mins on day work.

I could handle that or even if it was just a couple of nights out a week it would be a bit more insentive tot driving there and back everyday,
The only reason im thinking about even taking the job is the fact that it pays 27k a year :unamused: Im still tempted! :laughing: