How far?

Need some advice people while looking for another job realised that there isnt much in the area i live in(essex) so started to look further afield and now possibility of a job(s) in northamptonshire/bedfordshire …

Wanted to know how far you would call reasonable to travel to work?i would be tramping so journey would only be done 2/3 times a week…

Is this too far (2 hours each way)?

Let me know what you think?

Adam

i dont thnk 2 hours each way is too far. i have had several jobs where i have traveled 1 to 2 hours to ge there, like you its always been tramping so only had too do it twice a week :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :smiley:

I would also travel to the right job. Of course if it was a week away at time or more then the distance can be a lot greater than a day job for example. The distance to travel would depend on the job, the pay and the time away.

If it’s once a week then fine but if your on tramping why would it be 2/3 times per week?
Can you not take the truck home at the weekend?

you want to spend 20hrs a week just to get to work? needs to be a good payer :open_mouth: .

You could stay overnight in the truck when you are not off tramping i.e. parked up in a “quiet” corner of the yard. Then you wouldn’t have to spend 4 hours on a round trip to home and back, which you could add to your daily rest period :slight_smile: There is nothing worse than cutting into your daily rest period (9 hours) by travelling home you end up getting minimum zzzs which is not a good idea :cry:

The companies i have spoken to are willing to pay for my class 1 which i am desperate for but cant raise the money hence the willingness to do the journey…

i say 2/3 times a week because with my little experince the drivers in our yard who tramp sometimes come back on a thursday then work during the day on a friday…

I would move but cant raise the money to do that either atm :confused: :confused:

Thanks for the advice keep it coming

Adam

I agree with some of the above.

If your tramping,in the true sense of the word,then you will be away all week,without getting home,so you don’t need to worry about the cost nor the travelling.

There are many many companies that do tramping,so you would probably be spoilt for choice,however,if you’ve set yourself a 2 hour trip,then you shouldn’t have a problem really.

It’s all down to personal choice,who you seek as your employer,but asking on here for depots within your time frame,is a good start.

Ken.

Cheers quinny iv looked at a fair few companies and only found a few who would be prepared to put me through class 1…if anyone knows of any others let me know

steady eddie and langdons are who iv looked at so far…

Adam

I should say im williing to pay for it i dont expect to get it for free lol

Adam

I guess that some will pay for it,and then deduct it over a period of time,which,if your willing to accept,is a good way to get your ticket.

In the past,a company I worked for,put us through our haz chem,and then deducted the cost over 5 years.I left (After the second taking of my haz chem,) 2 years into it,and they deducted the remaining 3 years off me,which was fair enough,and meant I could go where I wanted.

It also means that if they deduct it over a set period,you are less likely to feel it,and also,you can feel safe that,in the event of keeping your nose clean,you have work for 5 years.

Don’t be frightened to ask,when you go for an interview.

Good luck.

Ken.

I would honestly look closer to home mate. If you get a start with someone in Bedford / Northants, you have to then pass your test, you are tied to the company for at least 2 years or will end up having to pay for the training if you leave.

Do you really want to travel 2 hours to work, lets say you finish at 6 pm on a Friday. It is 9pm by the time you have emptied the truck and driven home, do you really want to be going back at 3am on Monday morning at best. Even worse if the company run you to the maximum.

I live 8 miles from the yard and I am always looking for something nearer :laughing:

You could stay overnight in the truck when you are not off tramping i.e. parked up in a “quiet” corner of the yard.

This is all well and good until they drop the bombshell,your lorry is needed on a night trunk,something has cropped up we need your motor,or they’ve booked it in for service.I know,and it does happen.Thats why i left a brilliant job.Because the hour each way twice a week become 8 hours a week sat in the car.
Tonyb

howatsi:
You could stay overnight in the truck when you are not off tramping i.e. parked up in a “quiet” corner of the yard

Would that not be detrimental to a driver’s sanity?! :laughing:

Think you would really need to find out what the job involves in terms of nights out.

As said before proper tramping away the monday come back the friday it aint a problem.

But if its a job with nights out needed when required, will be a complete killer if then you end up with maybe one night out a week.

Wost ive done was 120 mile round trip to do a day shift, did it for 5 days. Was class 1 and was trying to get experience at the time, so took it. Wasnt so bad because of the excitement of getting to drive a class 1, and was the summer. Fuel was also about 40pence a litre cheaper than it is now and wages not much different to today. I got traveling expenses from the agency which covered my fuel costs.

Even still after a week of doing it, i hated it. Basically drove home, felt as if it took forever straight to bed, get up outta bed have something to eat get dressed straight back to work. Its no life and its a killer, so id make sure you will be getting plenty of nights out.

When I lived near the Cockhorse and started work at DHL I was driving up to EMA for 3 weeks till my flat was available, it was a killer. That was only an hour on the bike, 1h 20 in the car.

Since the co. i drive for now downsized their nationwide fleet recently and ALL the Fleetwood based units went, i now have to travel to Liverpool, 48 miles = 1 hour each way. I usually do 2 - 3 days tramping. It would hardly be worth going for 1 day.

No traveling expenses were forthcoming.

I find even when i’ve only done Sat & Sun that the hours drive home on a Sunday evening, even in Summer, is a drag.

Few years back, i used to do Tesco NDC Milton Keynes, agency work. Stay in digs a few nights at a time.

Have considered going back on it as i enjoyed it, but 1. Diesel’s a lot dearer now than it was then, and 2. Its virtually 1/2 a day travelling each way = a day a week lost!