How embarrasing

Had a delivery in Finchley N3 today, found the builders merchants no problem at all, apart from the fact it was 50yds into a one way street of which i was the wrong end of! I walked upto said yard only to be told that i’d messed up big time as the only way out was the way i had come in or the wrong way up the one way street. As turning around was not possible, the latter was the way i went :blush: :blush: To add to my embarrassment i’m sure i caught sight of a traffic warden taking down my details. So we’ll sit back and wait for a summons i guess. Bugger. First time i’ve ever cocked up in London. Anyone got any idea on what i may get?

Why so negative?

“Performance targets” for Traffic Wardens are normally based on how many tickets they can stick on a windscreen. Generating paperwork and external enquiries for a relatively minor matter would not do them any favours (in normal circumstances).

MR VAIN:
I walked upto said yard only to be told that i’d messed up big time as the only way out was the way i had come in or the wrong way up the one way street. As turning around was not possible, the latter was the way i went

Therefore, you had considered the situation and made appropriate enquiries and, based on the information gained, took the most appropriate action. After all, what were the alternatives? To reverse back to an appropriate junction would have served to put the public in danger and to have had the vehicle ‘craned’ would have effectively closed the junction to ALL vehicles for several hours, and would have been at a disproportionate cost. :wink:

Did the TW actually see you pass the signs, and did they then continue in the direction of the signing to ascertain that it was unobstructed and in good repair?

Travelling the ‘wrong’ direction in a one-way street is not actually an offence. How else would a motorist be able to parallel park? The offence is committed when failing to comply with the ‘No Entry’ sign.

From what you have said, there seems to be ample mitigation. :wink:

weeklygripe.co.uk/quickgripes.asp?mgID=18

Here yar :open_mouth:

My father in law has just been fined £235 and given 3 penalty points for driving accidentally down a quiet one way street the wrong way in an area unfamiliar to him in Peterborough.

Is this a fair fine? He realised his mistake and turned around never saw anybody never mind a policeman or traffic warden. Next thing he received a summons through the post.

Arguably diametrically opposed situations. The person quoted failed to see the sign and was unaware of it until (I presume) an opposing road user brought it to his attention.

The situation with our colleague is different in that he was aware of the sign and, having explored other avenues, was left with little alternative, and would have been moving the vehicle at a corresponding speed and degree of care.

MR VAIN:
First time i’ve ever cocked up in London. Anyone got any idea on what i may get?

I think another London run would be a sufficient punishment :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Kidding aside, hope you manage to get it sorted.

got your avator started then.

When I got a wrong way in a one-way street nearly 20 years ago it was a fixed penalty notice - ie a fine and no pints, not sure if it is still the same now…

Good luck

TC

MR VAIN:
First time i’ve ever cocked up in London. Anyone got any idea on what i may get?

You may be forced to dis-connect your spot lights for a week. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I am sure that would be sufficient punishment it would be more effective than a fine.

The_Catman:
ie a fine and no pints, not sure if it is still the same now…

TC

■■■■ these guys are so unfair! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: It must be worth at least a couple

Had to deliver to Soho once for panasonic, looked at a 2 z and followed route only to discover that at a crossroads the way ahead into square was one way and i was facing the wrong direction, i couldn’t turn right or left due to size of truck so had to continue, traffic warden just looked and smiled :exclamation: probably seen it a thousand times :unamused:

Thanks for yr thoughts guys. Hoping i got away with it, but would be content with fixed penalty. I’ll keep you posted.

i do this on a regular basis in london as most of the narrow streets and turnings that i have to negotiate are not suitable for 40ft of truck to turn in plus the added fact of clever parking in london streets, sometimes the only option is to go the wrong way or reverse up the one way street, ive never had fine about this and even had a police officer stop traffic so i do the required manouvere, i think the fine applies when you drive down it delibrateley or if in a car for example you havnt seen the road sign then they say its neglegent driving and not observing signs, if making a delivery you have observed the signs and the only option you have is to do it that way,but a tip is if you can reverse down it at least your facing the right way to come out.

Been told a nice leather seat will do fine :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: