One way / no entry

hello to all i have a question i hope you can help with.

i have a drop on monday near the centre of town on a one way street. There is no access going the correct way as you can get a truck round, the only way to get there is to go in at the other end (no entry) and reverse the wrong way down the one way street. (Its about 400yrd) . When i heard this i said i wasnt going to do it as its illegal, but my tm and boss tell me that because there is no access the correct way that i can. i hope that makes sence and would be grateful if someone could shine some light.

Well if that the only way in then all the locals should know & expect you to do it

But please dont do my trick drive up the wrong way on a one way street ( even if in front of police station :blush: :blush: :blush: )

You could call the place you delivering to or the local police & ask them :bulb:

Just get someone to watch you back and stop the traffic…

In the words of the RHA you must obey the rules of the road at all times. Therefore you should not drive, even in reverse, up the one way street.

The example we had involved double yellow lines and a delivery inside this area that required multiple trips to the vehicle.

they said you should park up somewhere legal and contact your office about what they want to do, ie would they pay the ticket for you if you received one.

I would not do it unless a local plod was there to guide me

We did a delivery in Pontefract and if it was raining or icy the road was very difficult to get traction. at the other end of the one way street it was about 150 yards to the delivery point. I asked in the police station if I could reverse in and he said yes … But if you do I will nick you. it is no entry.

Im confused now . Not sure whether to do it or not.

Walk up the road, and ask at the tip point would be my advice, mate.

drake22:
Im confused now . Not sure whether to do it or not.

Remember this -
It is illegal to reverse up a one way street

The only way that you can get an exemption for that is to have the police there at the time of doing it - just a “it’s ok” from a cop will not suffice

If anyone else says “all the other drivers do it” or similar - do not believe them - it aint their licence at risk

ROG:
I would not do it unless a local plod was there to guide me

That’s the only way I see this scenario could be legal too.

Wasn’t something I could definately reply on but I have downloaded an exract from the highway code on the directgov website

Rule 143
One-way streets. Traffic MUST travel in the direction indicated by signs. Buses and/or cycles may have a contraflow lane. Choose the correct lane for your exit as soon as you can. Do not change lanes suddenly. Unless road signs or markings indicate otherwise, you should use

-the left-hand lane when going left
-the right-hand lane when going right
-the most appropriate lane when going straight ahead. Remember — traffic could be passing on both sides
[Laws RTA 1988 sect 36 & RTRA sects 5 & 8]

I did look up the Road Traffic Act but it is confusing…to say the least

regards

John
Flair Training

thanks guys, i can see an argument coming on Monday morning

Yeah the highway code says you can’t go the wrong way down a one way street but it also says if you accidently do it then you should carry on instead of trying to turn round, what reasonable cop would stop you and fill out the paperwork for 400 yards of a ‘mistake’ but yeah its your license at risk so you should get some advice and if asking a policeman the make sure to get his name and number so s/he can be contacted if somebody questions you.

Do it and you are a fool…one of ours did this with fatal consequences in North London somewhere

400 yards is not on. This delivery needs to go on a smaller vehicle and it will if you stick to your guns,they’re trying it on with you. You cannot disobey traffic signs unless instructed by an authorised person e.g. a police officer. 3 points and a fine for failing to comply with a road sign.

Against the law and remember that the points go on your licence , makes no difference to the person giving advice if they get it wrong as they are not affected ) no points on their licence ) . - not sure if a policeman has authority to permit the law to be broken unless it is an emergency - would exercise caution if taking advice for a police officer in these circumstances - if it goes wrong will he back you up or want to cover himself .

400 yards is taking the ■■■■. I’d probably risk it myself, but only at the crack of dawn or at night when no-one is about. Middle of the day, not a chance. No point asking the cops because if they’ve owt about them they’ll tell you to put the drop in a smaller vehicle. Could maybe understand it if it was a non-divisible load like a big piece of machinery that can only go on an artic but if it’s just normal pallet or cage type stuff then you’re asking for trouble. Up to you, use your own judgement, but if all the other drivers at your place do it without problems then you’re quickly gonna become Mr. Awkward and Mr. Let’s-Give-Him-All-The-[zb]-Runs.

Used to do Mama’s & Papa’s store on Regent Street in London in an artic and it was a [zb]. Can’t get an artic down any of the roads leading to it so had to come in from the other end which involved a nasty blind side reverse between some phone boxes and other street “furniture” then a 200 yard reverse the wrong way up the one way street. :open_mouth: We had to be there at 5am on the dot each time as that was the only delivery time available when there was very little other traffic about.

I wouldent risk it, as others say it’s your licence on the line!! Dont be pressered into risking your licence for no one, look how much time and effort it took to gain the thing in the first place!! And yes 400 yrds is a taking the mick to say the least!!

Thanks for your comments guys, I told the boss it was illegal this morning and after huffing and puffing he decided to do it in several trips on the 7.5t. So i managed to avoid that one, but as some one said im now the awkward one, plus i wont run over weight which some of the other guys do.

drake22:
Thanks for your comments guys, I told the boss it was illegal this morning and after huffing and puffing he decided to do it in several trips on the 7.5t. So i managed to avoid that one, but as some one said im now the awkward one, plus i wont run over weight which some of the other guys do.

Is this an artic job or a rigid ‘normally’ ? :confused: