Hoodie Trucker seeks Guide Dog

I know this story was posted in a thread last week
but thought i`d post this cutting from our paper for those of you who live elsewhere in the world outside of Wales
Photobucket
Photobucket

God the embarrasment :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

Mr Atkinson said they did not use such aids because,“there isn’t a satellite navigation that warns you about bridge heights or weight limits.”

This guy is talking out of his arse,because if he did his research,he would have known that you can get a bridge height poi for sat navs.I’m not certain,however,if there is a one yet for weight limits,but I believe it may be being worked on.

Just another case of Pontius Pilot,and washing his hands of it,however there is no excuse from the driver for not realising that the road was unsuitable,once he got onto it.

Ken.

The driver must have been as thick as too short planks

Yeah! Like a Journalist that can’t use the correct word for the context!

Alex

i don’t know what the fuss is about really, everyone makes mistakes, just some bigger than others :open_mouth:

A couple of chains on that trailer and the whole thing will pull straight out.

he’s not the first and he wont be the last, could have happened without satnav, ive often taken a wrong turn in a moment of madness, luckily only down suburban streets i could reverse out of.

another thing…40 tonnes of timber?

what the hell is that all about? im only good to take 26 tonne legally on my 45ft tautliner, granted im in australia but surely a single trailer cant do 40 tonne?

Sorry guys, sat nav or no sat nav, you cant get a quart into a pint pot!

I think what’s lacking here is COMMON SENSE, surely alarm bells would ring when he started hitting the trees with the top of the trailer, this would indicate that not many lorries had gone down it before. It would’ve been so much easier to get out & walk down the lane & have a look before driving down it.

Call me old fashioned but we are supposed to be proffessionals :bulb:

Why do people always blame sat nav they are only as good or bad as the person who uses it don’t take everything as spot on the same as using a map if unsure check ask or just go the long way round .

Sat nav or not anyone in their right mind would look down that lane and say …No chance… i’ll route around it.

I use a sat nav constantly, it has a bridge warning system and yes it tries to send me down country lanes and into housing estates every now and then.

However, I still plan my route with an old fashioned map and even check multi map for a good top down photo of any dodgy looking places before I set out.

Sometimes you just have to get out of the cab and walk a bit to check its ok when you know your 200 feet from your destination tho :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Who wants to put money on the fact that it was a brand new top of the range only one in the country type of fence.

Or at least it will be by the time of the claim. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

newmercman:
Sorry guys, sat nav or no sat nav, you cant get a quart into a pint pot!

I think what’s lacking here is COMMON SENSE, surely alarm bells would ring when he started hitting the trees with the top of the trailer, this would indicate that not many lorries had gone down it before. It would’ve been so much easier to get out & walk down the lane & have a look before driving down it.

Call me old fashioned but we are supposed to be proffessionals :bulb:

Spot on, but you’re forgetting this industry is full of drivers who have ■■■■ for brains and cannot think for themselves. This is an excellent example. :unamused:

‘‘MAXI Haulage’’- Say no more !!!

I have had sat nav for 4 years and never got stuck or gone down a little country lane like that, or ended up under a low bridge, you have to use your brain just like a paper map if i dont know i check the route first.

We can’t afford to waste time with this. We’re supposed to be scanning our sheep.

Scanning our sheep :question: Is that some kind of Welsh euphemism? :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

Coffeeholic:

We can’t afford to waste time with this. We’re supposed to be scanning our sheep.

Scanning our sheep :question: Is that some kind of Welsh euphemism? :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:
:smiley:

boring answer

Denis F:

Coffeeholic:

Scanning our sheep :question: Is that some kind of Welsh euphemism? :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:
:smiley:

boring answer

Yeah, I’d Googled it. :wink: I’ll stick with my initial thought though. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

Back on topic; how long before this sign becomes commonplace?

Vale of Glamorgan Council in South Wales is the first in the UK to use visual signs warning drivers not to believe sat-nav advice after once peaceful villages were reduced to bedlam when heavy-goods lorries got stuck in tiny country lanes.
Now a sign aimed largely at foreign drivers has been put up on the outskirts of the village of St Hilary.

“The proliferation of satellite navigation aids used in heavy goods vehicles, and their over-reliance, especially by overseas drivers, has presented itself as a problem within the Vale of Glamorgan,” a spokesman for the council’s highways department said.

I actually have to use this road to access a farm; it’s big enough for an 8-wheel tipper but nothing more. Even by normal Welsh standards Vale of Glamorgan roads are notoriously narrow.

Coffeeholic:
[
Yeah, I’d Googled it. :wink: I’ll stick with my initial thought though. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

probably best, although it’s not only the welsh doing it :wink:

know a man who gets paid to do it,8) we don’t do ours though :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

got talked in to farm a few months ago by the farmers wife, and she did a really good job until i got a mile away , she then said I HOPE THE ROAD YOUR GOING ON NEXT ISNT SHUT AS IT ALWAYS DOES WHEN IT FLOODS.
i didnt know whether to laugh or cry , and yes it was flooded :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

gnasty gnome:
Back on topic; how long before this sign becomes commonplace?

Vale of Glamorgan Council in South Wales is the first in the UK to use visual signs warning drivers not to believe sat-nav advice after once peaceful villages were reduced to bedlam when heavy-goods lorries got stuck in tiny country lanes.
Now a sign aimed largely at foreign drivers has been put up on the outskirts of the village of St Hilary.

“The proliferation of satellite navigation aids used in heavy goods vehicles, and their over-reliance, especially by overseas drivers, has presented itself as a problem within the Vale of Glamorgan,” a spokesman for the council’s highways department said.

There’s no need for any of this ■■■■. If you get your truck stuck down a lane/track/whatever or causes damage to property from following a satnav then it should be an instant disqualification.

I’m sick of hearing about them [the stories]. It was never any secret that the majority of truckers are thick as ■■■■ but there’s a new story and bunch of photos/video every ■■■■■■■ day now and it’s high time that licence revocation and heavy penalties are imposed. :angry:

I mean ffs how difficult is it? Driving a truck is quite possibly the easiest job in the world. How the [ZB] can you get it so wrong■■? :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: