BBC breakfast today

So on BBC breakfast this morning there was an article saying that councils should get the power to fine lorry drivers for getting stuck due to following a sat nav. The bloke presenter also stated that he agrees and the lorry drivers who follow sat navs are half wits. They were his words on live TV.

Now I’m not one for following a sat nav blind without also checking a map first, but if there is not actually a sign saying unsuitable for HGVs or with a weigh, height, length limit etc, then it’s a bit harsh to then a fine a driver who is there for the first time.

That aside anyway, what a complete t.o.s.s.e.r! He also said the drivers should go and check out the route in a car or on a bicycle first so they can check they will get their truck down the roads they are going down.

Like I say, fining a driver who has ignored an unsuitable for HGV sign and got stuck and caused traffic chaos because of this…fair play. But trust following a sat nav when he doesn’t know the area and not ignored any signs, really? Is that fair?

You can tell the people who come up with these things have never had to driver a 44 ton artic into an industrial estate, in an area they don’t know, where the industrial estate is located literally in the middle of a residential area and the only way in is to turn down streets which you wouldn’t want to turn down. Once they’ve had a go at doing that, then see if they would have the same argument for fining lorry drivers for following a sat nav!

Rant over!

+1 heard it myself yet another member of the metropolitan (no idea how things get done) class who thinks fairies fill the shelves at the end of each day.

I saw it too. I love the fact that he felt he could speak his mind (even if he was talking ■■■■■■■■). Too much stuff on tv these days is sanitised to point of nothing stated being of any value as they are too scared to upset anyone.

I use a sat nav, but its only one of several tools I use to plan a journey. I do agree with him that drivers that get stuck blindly following a sat nav are indeed half wits…

Fined for it though? Only if the part of HC about parking too close to junctions is enforced with Gestapo like efficiency and prejudice…

So have you sent an e mail with your views or made your view on their F book page ?

nick2008:
So have you sent an e mail with your views or made your view on their F book page ?

I did indeed. I was so infuriated by what he was saying I picked up my iPad whilst he was still speaking and sent a strongly worded email to them.

Are they going to provide lorry parking places for free of course & car so we can check the route obviously he has never driven outside his own little village

Or maybe have industrial set outside of town centre residential areas that we only ever deliver to then they can come to us & we don’t then have to go near the places

They could also make sure that all signage is places well outside the area also have at least 2 but they do have to make sure that we can see them at all times so never bent or faded ect

is this pxxxk presenter for real,check the route in a car or bike first,whos the half wit,what a plank,what is the name of the presenter,maybe we can swamp him in E MAILS telling him what an idiot he is

I saw this and had to laugh when he said about checking the route on a bike first, as if we can all carry a bike in the back or in the cab, then find somewhere to park for an hour or so within cycling distance (bearing in mind it will be somewhere unfamiliar so this bit alone will take ages), then cycle to the drop off point etc (possibly in the rain).
Imagine how long deliveries/ collections will take…the guy is a ■■■!

and how would you be able to check a route in a car?

Driver-Once-More:
and how would you be able to check a route in a car?

Bloody stupid question.
You spend your rest period driving hundreds of miles to scout out the next days trip. Obvious really.
:grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

The Bbc use this for Anti lorry Nimbies, for rich people that buy overpriced houses on main roads and assume there will be no traffic and lorries passing by their front door 24 hours a day.
In Europe drivers are respected as a neccesitary to the contribution to the countries economy, without lorries the economy fails .
The UK is a thick country full of idiots and moaning Nimbies, who can’t tell the difference between a rigid and an artic.
The media are thick and use attention grabbing headlines such as menacing thundering 100 ton juggernaut mounts the pavements narrowly missing Mrs Jarvis at Number 2 The Crescent walking her Cockapoo dogs .

What you you all expect it was the BBC, Who operated an organised ■■■■■■■■■■ ring ,Who are supposed to be an independent unbiased news source, but in reality they are anything but, Pro EU and pro migration that is what the BBC stand for , i’m glad that i have not paid their tv tax for over 10yrs

I like many drivers collect/deliver to small farms in the back end of nowhere all day every day, so single track muddy lanes are our only access ( until every farm is on the side of a A or M road )

I have to ignore all sorts of signs & trust the farmer on his directions

TheNewBoy:
I like many drivers collect/deliver to small farms in the back end of nowhere all day every day, so single track muddy lanes are our only access ( until every farm is on the side of a A or M road )

I have to ignore all sorts of signs & trust the farmer on his directions

Nothing wrong in that mate, it’s if you ignored the signs, and then trusted the SatNav/The Force that will get you into trouble!

Or women that you ask directions from…been there, done that[emoji13]

Who saw Edwina Currie this morning, call the model in the swimsuit on the front page of the paper this morning " Obese ". :open_mouth: :open_mouth: Don’t think Sally Nugent was impressed, pmsl, when male presenter just sat looking at photo, thinking wtf… :smiley:

I’m just surprised that anyone who works in our industry would willingly subject themselves to the propaganda of the state broadcaster, and to compound that has actually listened to and taken their output seriously.

Life still used to go on before navs :unamused:

Rowley010:
So on BBC breakfast this morning there was an article saying that councils should get the power to fine lorry drivers for getting stuck due to following a sat nav. The bloke presenter also stated that he agrees and the lorry drivers who follow sat navs are half wits. They were his words on live TV.

Now I’m not one for following a sat nav blind without also checking a map first, but if there is not actually a sign saying unsuitable for HGVs or with a weigh, height, length limit etc, then it’s a bit harsh to then a fine a driver who is there for the first time.

That aside anyway, what a complete t.o.s.s.e.r! He also said the drivers should go and check out the route in a car or on a bicycle first so they can check they will get their truck down the roads they are going down.

Like I say, fining a driver who has ignored an unsuitable for HGV sign and got stuck and caused traffic chaos because of this…fair play. But trust following a sat nav when he doesn’t know the area and not ignored any signs, really? Is that fair?

You can tell the people who come up with these things have never had to driver a 44 ton artic into an industrial estate, in an area they don’t know, where the industrial estate is located literally in the middle of a residential area and the only way in is to turn down streets which you wouldn’t want to turn down. Once they’ve had a go at doing that, then see if they would have the same argument for fining lorry drivers for following a sat nav!

Rant over!

He is right on some things and wrong on others although it sounds like typical BBC, pandering to the middle class anti truck lobby.

(Btw I thought these modern 300quid sat navs some of you guys use made you a cup of tea and wiped your arses, how come they are getting some drivers stuck ffs.)

Firstly anybody who blindly follows a sat nav and gets stuck for it IS a half wit…end of, and SHOULD get fined for any damage hassle or need for recovery.
It should be mitigation if he can prove he has gone all out to avoid it, ie. If he was in any doubt at all after looking on sat nav, then seek verification by using methods of back up, …map, (paper or google or other,) then the obvious thing (although not to some) is to ring customer and ask for directions, and if accesss is possible for artics (in… and back out :bulb: )

Then trust your own instinct to decide if you have got an answer from somebody with an actual brain. If you think not ring the office for them to sort something out, and wait until they tell you to go for it, responsibility halved. :bulb:
Then If things still go ■■■■ up after all that…There you have your case for mitigation :bulb:

Sorry I know I am preaching to the converted on here, the proper drivers know all of this, however it is, as the guy said…half wits that have highlighted this situation and made the rest of us look bad with themselves.

I have just described what I have to do every bloody week :unamused: delivering to remote farms in Cornwall, Devon and Somerset.
I put in the bit about trusting your instinct as I nearly came a cropper myself before Chrismas getting back out of a Devon village that I had been told on phone…‘yeh no problem driver’ :unamused: I did get back out after a struggle, but it could quite easily have gone the other way :blush:
I even saw a sign last week near Redruth that said ‘Do not follow sat navs down here’ it has got to that stage ffs.

So basically the guy is a bit of a ■■■, but has got a point.

Rowley010:

Rant over!

nick2008:

or why not contact the points of view website bbc.co.uk/pov and voice your opinion?