Hi is this useful to us wannabees guys

Does this give us wannabees a good idea of how to use a 4 over 4 gearbox

youtube.com/watch?v=PS49sIOAr5g

I noticed he isnt using a clutch!

Thanks JEEZO cos you pointed me in the direction of this -

Notice the way he goes into the last low gear and flicks the switch uo in readiness for the high range - the range will not change until the stick passess into the neutral zone.

I would like some feedback on this clip before I think of adding it to my permanent links please folks

Ok Rog understand, but he isnt using a clutch I dont think. :confused:

In the one I posted I mean

JEEZO:
In the one I posted I mean

Get the revs & speed right and you don’t have to use one when moving but it takes a lot of practice.

Also, in the one you posted, there is just a driver going up all the gears.

The one you led me to (thank you again) has the driver going up and down the gears as well as showing the use of the range change switch - he even skips gears :smiley: :smiley:

The one thing that both seem to do, from what I could see, I think, was that they changed down through the gears when slowing down - this is un-necessary with modern braking systems and a waste of time and energy - more use of the brakes, for which they are designed, and less use of the clutch, is also cheaper.
I am referring to general driving done in this country as different methods may be needed in some situations especially abroad - such as going down steep mountain roads etc.

You have to learn this one first, before you can progress any further. :smiling_imp:

youtube.com/watch?v=4a8SNT3uy-4

During my time driving in the USA I found that driving without using the clutch was the norm, in fact I never ever say an American driver use the clutch whilst changing gear. I never did myself either. Driving down the mountains was just the same as driving on the flat. the jake brakes work extremely well and one can hold maximum speed at in top gear at 1600 revs, totally under control, whereas a european truck has to be held back down steep grades or it would be over revving by so much that severe engine damage woulf be the result.

DAFMAD:
You have to learn this one first, before you can progress any further. :smiling_imp:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a8SNT3uy-4

Is that going to be compulsory for all training vehicles next year… :question: :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

Yes it is and should be too. No more Auto loving sissies. :smiling_imp:

Reminds me of the Mack F700 Transtar that I drove on OHS. It had an 18 speed quadruplex gearbox with two gear sticks.

It doesnt show you it as the camera is concentrated on the gear changing, but he is actually eating a sandwich and drinking a coffee into the bargain

The gearbox is an eaton fuller and are mainly nine speed and twelve speed used extensivley in the USA/canada and still are, you only use the clutch to start off, if you use the clutch for gearchanges you will play all sorts of tunes.

Same principal as the eaton twin split which we used in the uk and europe.

To Data Academy -

ROG:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvtE_OyLq5o&feature=related
I would like some feedback on this clip before I think of adding it to my permanent links please folks

It’s a US non synchro box, different to a European 4 over 4 which you are supposed to use the clutch for so it’s hardly relevant to new drivers in this country.

NO, you wont learn anything of use there. That was an old American truck quite different to what you will train and hopefully pass your test in. Rog is your best bet his posts are much more relevent to your needs.

alamcculloch:
NO, you wont learn anything of use there. That was an old American truck quite different to what you will train and hopefully pass your test in. Rog is your best bet his posts are much more relevent to your needs.

What about this one :question: