Gears

Hello new here, just a quick question about gear changing. Ive done my medical and ive just recieved my licence back with class C entitlement on. :slight_smile:
Im not going to start my driver training untill after new near now as i dont want to get caught up in the bad weather for my test.
The thing is ive looked at varous vid clips on reversing, gear cange and so on but looking at the gear changing while slowing down looks quite daunting to me.
What im trying to say is when you slow down sharply say from 7th how do i know what gear to put it into aswell as flick switches up/down :confused: It all looks confusing.
I must state ive never driven a lorry before, all ive been used to is driving a Transit for about 10 years.
Thanks Dave :wink:

It’s somthing you’ll quickly get used to if your training school is any good.

The way I’ve been taught is simply on the approach to a roundabout slow down to around 20mph. Change down to 6th. Check everything is clear, if it is then happy days, power on. Off you go.

If you need to slow down further, need more time to think, or need to give way to traffic then knock it down to 5th. Look for a blocker and power on, off you go.

If you need to stop to give way, then flick the switch down, come out of gear and over into 3rd. Stop. Flick your switch back up so your ready for 5th when you need it. Find your blocker or your gap. Pull out, change up into 5th. power on and away you go.

It really does look daunting but once you realise just how much torque these trucks have got then you’ll be fine. The truck will usually be quite happy to drag you down the road in 6th on tickover only. :open_mouth:

It’s often said that gears 1-4 are “lifter gears” or “starting gears” simply becuase these are the gears you use to get the rig moving. Gears 5-8 are usually called “driving gears” as these are the ones used for driving, much like the 2-5 in your Transit.

the nightmare of gears never really goes away no matter how long you drive, but never be put off saying to another driver give us an idea about the gearbox in this truck, i have always been told how and been given some good tips on particular vehicles, i have also passed on that type of information to anyone that asks. some people cannot seem to take in some ideas like the lad who would not believe that an automatic magnum still had a clutch and would hold it on hills just over tick over untill the dash lit up and said clutch overheating. all trucks are different for the first time. good luck.

We have a post on gears with pics - viewtopic.php?f=46&t=44667&p=503943#p503953

L05tB0y:
Hello new here, just a quick question about gear changing. Ive done my medical and ive just recieved my licence back with class C entitlement on. :slight_smile:
Im not going to start my driver training untill after new near now as i dont want to get caught up in the bad weather for my test.
The thing is ive looked at varous vid clips on reversing, gear cange and so on but looking at the gear changing while slowing down looks quite daunting to me.
What im trying to say is when you slow down sharply say from 7th how do i know what gear to put it into aswell as flick switches up/down :confused: It all looks confusing.
I must state ive never driven a lorry before, all ive been used to is driving a Transit for about 10 years.
Thanks Dave :wink:

Lets say we have a 4 over 4 gearbox.

R 1 3
| - N
C 2 4

Sorry I can’t really make it any better but where the N is is where Neutral sits naturally. If you’re in the higher range box, you only need to flick the paddle if you’re going to 4 or lower. If you start off in 1-2-3 or 4 then you must flick the paddle up before going to 5th otherwise you will hit 1st. Now i’ve showed you were 1-4 is, but now you need to imagine another gearbox on top of that one, so where 1st is, it’s 5th, 2nd is 6th, 3rd 7th and 4th 8th.

You ask the question of how you will know what gear you need, you can only find this out by having time in the lorry itself, the general course is though that you usually start in 4th loaded or empty unless your on a hill (loaded) and you shift up two gears at a time (or singularly if your loaded unless you have enough momentum). 5th is a bit like your second in a car so you can use it going very slowly but if you come to a standstill then you need 4th ideally. 6th is usually for 20mph, 7th for 30mph and anything above is 8th. Speedbumps I go over in 5th without throttle, so i just let the vehicles own weight take me over.

Hope I’ve helped a little.

Dexter-M:
It’s somthing you’ll quickly get used to if your training school is any good.

The way I’ve been taught is simply on the approach to a roundabout slow down to around 20mph. Change down to 6th. Check everything is clear, if it is then happy days, power on. Off you go.

If you need to slow down further, need more time to think, or need to give way to traffic then knock it down to 5th. Look for a blocker and power on, off you go.

If you need to stop to give way, then flick the switch down, come out of gear and over into 3rd. Stop. Flick your switch back up so your ready for 5th when you need it. Find your blocker or your gap. Pull out, change up into 5th. power on and away you go.

It really does look daunting but once you realise just how much torque these trucks have got then you’ll be fine. The truck will usually be quite happy to drag you down the road in 6th on tickover only. :open_mouth:

It’s often said that gears 1-4 are “lifter gears” or “starting gears” simply becuase these are the gears you use to get the rig moving. Gears 5-8 are usually called “driving gears” as these are the ones used for driving, much like the 2-5 in your Transit.

Dexter - A very good description and answer to the OP question. I really could not add much to that. Whoever taught you knew their stuff and made you understand it well.

Sam - Your reply is just a tad confusing to even the most open minded. Obviously just an opinion but

Sam Millar:
the general course is though that you usually start in 4th loaded or empty unless your on a hill (loaded) and you shift up two gears at a time (or singularly if your loaded unless you have enough momentum).

The campaign for plain English speaking might want a word with you mate. LOL

If you drive a 4 over 4:

2, 4 flick switch then pop into N, stick it into 5 (which is where 1st would be) then 6,7,8 when needed.

Slowing down, (assuming your in 8th) 7, 6, 5 and if slow enough then flick down (via N) to 4 or 3 but 99% of the time you wont go below 5th.

Gears 2 & 4 are only for starting. 1 & 3 are not used.

Thanks for the replies, i understand how the gearbox works i was just worried about knowing when to change up/down when needed and also the going down gears then flicking switch for lower gears then flicking switch again for higher gears. Seemed a bit confusing to me thats all. If you know what i mean. :confused:

All I can say is go slow. If you can’t get it into gear, clutch up, clutch down and it will slide in.

The only way you will understand is by the feel and noise of the real thing.

A bit like my wife.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the OP is confused by now.

IMO the best advice is to listen to your trainer. Vehicles behave differently eg if you were to move off in 2nd with one of my outfits you’d be wasting your time. Other vehicles, poss lower power or worse for wear, will need 2nd.

Just listen to your trainer. Pete :laughing: :laughing: