Gear help

Day 2 of my class 2 training I seam to be having a bit of problem with gears
It seams to me that I get the gears it then has a knock on effect to making other mistakes
My instructor has said that I am letting the engine to over rev
Any tips on gear change would be most helpful

What type of gearbox is it mate?

It’s an 8 speed split shift in a merc
I’m not having any probs in changing range it’s getting to know what gear to be in

Cont
As I come up to an hazard ect then that is leading in to a mistake

Could it be that you need to look further ahead, create space and give yourself more time to react? that way, running a little slower, you will allow more time to assess the hazard and think about the gear you need prior to getting it. Slow it down and get the gear before you get to the hazard…forward planning coupled with a bit of gear familiarity/practice in a big space will pay dividends!

…and don’t panic, it will come, give yourself a chance and settle yourself down :wink:

Tazbug

4 over 4 range change gearbox

See hazard ahead - slow to 20/22 mph - select gear 5 - driver up to hazard for at least 3 lorry lengths in that gear and then decide if another gear is needed

That is very simplistic and will cover most but certainly not all situations

My guess is that you are failing to see the hazard early enough or are continuing to travel too fast once you have seen it

Hazard - mirrors - ease off/brake

OH … and ZB those behind

My instructor has said that I am letting the engine to over rev

You really must insist that your instructor explains how to correct this. It should take no more than a couple of minutes.

If you still have troubles, feel free to pm me and I’ll try to help.

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks for the advise
My lesson started of ■■■■ today but the 2nd when really well I stopped thinking about them & just went with my gut and it was almost spot on which is a good thing as its my test tomorrow
Think I’ve just been worrying about them to much

Wishing you the very best for tomorrow bud.

Tazbug