Gears -- Need Some Help

On my class C we used 3rd, 4th low , then pull the flipper up to go to 5th high ( well thats how the taught me ) then 6th,7th,8th and down again, should I ever needed to go to 4th gear I always had to remember to flip down.
Well it worked for me and I didnt get any minors on test for it. lol :smiley:

Ive been looking at tractor units before I have my next course, I was just wondering some of them have 16 gears :confused:

Can someone tell me the format they have to be used and Ive notice theres a flipper switch on the shaft same as class C and a button on the side.

I know what the flipper is for, so whats the button for is that a splitter or something
Quote i.e you can have flipper down, 1st gear ( low ) ,start off, click the button, clutch, then your in 1st gear ( High ) and then through the gear box till you get to 5th gear ā– ā– ?

Swampey:
you can have flipper down, 1st gear ( low ) ,start off, click the button, clutch, then your in 1st gear ( High ) and then through the gear box till you get to 5th gear ā– ā– ?

Yes Swampey thatā€™s it mate!! :grimacing:
In reality though, youā€™d only need that many splits when youā€™re carrying top weight, or youā€™re on a steep hill. You can still do the ā€œskippingā€ of gears that you described, so you most probably wonā€™t need to use all 16 of them.

Truck language tip: The switch that controls the 4 over 4 is called a ā€œrange change,ā€ whilst the switch that splits each individual gear is called the ā€œsplitter.ā€
It helps all of us to understand, if we all use the same words for the same things.

It seems youā€™ve asked a similar question before HERE
Friendly tip: Sorry mate, but I couldnā€™t tell whether youā€™ve read it or not, or follwed the link it contains, because you donā€™t appear to have come back with a ā€œthank you,ā€ or posted a comment as to whether either post was helpful. :wink:

:grimacing: I hope this helps, but I couldnā€™t resist making the polite observation above. :wink:

Thanks Dave

Thats cleared that one up and easy to understandā€¦rangers / splitters and hell I passed the class 2
Well I must have been doing something right

FIDDLE WITH THAT THING ON THE KNOB

I keep telling the ponce at work that our four over four boxes on our rigids have a range changeā€¦he still keeps calling it a splitterā€¦some people canā€™t be helped.

Swampey:
Thanks Dave

Thats cleared that one up and easy to understandā€¦rangers / splitters and hell I passed the class 2
Well I must have been doing something right

FIDDLE WITH THAT THING ON THE KNOB

Cheers for that Swampey and congratulations on the test pass.:grimacing:
You did indeed do it right :smiley: (And Iā€™m glad to have been of help :wink: )

Andyroo:
I keep telling the ponce at work that our four over four boxes on our rigids have a range changeā€¦he still keeps calling it a splitterā€¦some people canā€™t be helped.

Of course youā€™re right Andyroo, sometimes itā€™s horses and water mate.:grimacing:

dieseldave:

Andyroo:

Of course youā€™re right Andyroo, sometimes itā€™s horses and water mate.:grimacing:

This bloke is a laugh a minute actually, you can always tell when heā€™s talking rubbish cos his mouth is open.

Andyroo:
This bloke is a laugh a minute actually, you can always tell when heā€™s talking rubbish cos his mouth is open.

:grimacing: PMSL, absolute class Andyroo :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: