Gears ????

Hi lads/lassies,

Im saving just now to sit my class c+e test,however i have never been in a lorry before and i have heard all this about 16 gears?
how do these gears work?
is it like 8 and then you flick a switch and that gives you another 8?
if not can somebody please explain it a wee bitty,
cheers!

on an 8 speed there’s generally a swich to flick between high and low ratio they also use the switch in 4 over 4 boxes too

so is a four over four got a total of 8 gears then?
and this “over” does this mean going over the gears again?
do you use the clutch while flicking this switch?
sorry 4 all the questions :blush:
and what are half gears? i heard somebody talking about them at my work!

Honkytonk man:
so is a four over four got a total of 8 gears then?
and this “over” does this mean going over the gears again?
do you use the clutch while flicking this switch?
sorry 4 all the questions :blush:
and what are half gears? i heard somebody talking about them at my work!

Scroll down this forum to the thread"Is the 8 forward gears…",Last post on Friday October 12th.

Honkytonk man:
Hi lads/lassies,

Im saving just now to sit my class c+e test,however i have never been in a lorry before and i have heard all this about 16 gears?
how do these gears work?
cheers!

I would concentrate on passing your class “c” first before worrying about c+e mind you it will still be the same gears you will have to get used to.

this is a 16 speed gearbox

the half hears mentioned are included in the 16. its actually 8 gears but each once can be split in half giving you a 16 speed gearbox. generally speaking you only use 8. you only really need to split the 8th gear if you start to lose power uphill and you need a few more revs to maintain speed

Honkytonk man:
Hi lads/lassies,

how do these gears work?
cheers!

Welcome Honkytonk man :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Try this for some pre training tips including links to gearboxes trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=23857
ANOTHER NEWBIE wrote: “Can anybody explain the process over the forum as to what I have to do to start with so I can tick off on paper?”

LGV C (Rigid) formally Class 2:
Anyone who passes their car driving test and wants to drive a large goods vehicle will need additional training to be brought to the DSA standard. The vehicles used will also have to conform to the standards as set by the DSA.
The vehicle must conform to the following:
Boxed/curtain sided vehicles
Length 8 metres
Width 2.4 metres
8 forward gears
Tachograph
ABS as standard

Requirements:
Stage 1
Have a medical to prove you are physically fit to drive a Large Goods Vehicle using
Form D4 of the pack (obtainable from various driving schools). Please contact you’re GP or www.driversmedicals.com who can provide low-cost medical examinations.
Stage 2
Obtain your provisional licence. Having completed forms D2 & D4 send with your licence to the DVLA in the enclosed envelope, I recommended that you send it record/registered delivery. Your licence with provisional entitlement will normally be returned within 2 to 4 weeks.
Stage 3
Pass the theory test. This is carried out at local test centres and made up of two parts; Part 1 is multiple choice, 60 questions and Part 2 is hazard perception, 14 video clips.
Stage 4
Book your training course with LGV Training School. Once you have passed your theory.

Test Criteria:
Answer approximately 5 questions on basic vehicle checks.
Reverse into a marked bay.
Controlled brake test.
Drive for approximately 1 hour around the town. Test may also include hill starts and motorway driving.

Order a D2 Form (MARK FORM FOR C NOT C1)
forms.dvla.gov.uk/forms/ordering_forms_dg.htm
Fill the form and a D2 form will be send to in the post
Download the 8 page D4 Medical Form direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg … 020731.pdf Please print and take to your GP if you have the facilities at home or work

Theory - get book /CD rom + HPT (Hazard Perception Test) again, you can get CD rom to practice. Best idea - get in touch with LGV school and, for a fee, they will train you and may have cheap medical.
Read posts on this site before booking any LGV school course - if in a certain area ask about a school near you on here. It may be worth you considering a B&B elsewhere in UK to do a course.
The driver CPC is not the same as the other CPCs.
Digital tachos are usually required by agencies if you work for them but you are responsible for getting one. If you work for a non-agency they might be nice and pay for it but don’t hold your breath!
For some idea of cost try trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. … highlight=

there’s some information about range changes and splitters HERE

Denis F:

I have used that link in the pre training tips post, along with the gear post that Dieseldave did - both are very good, WITH PICS :smiley:

thanks guys,
sounds complicated :confused:
:laughing:
i got the dvd rom thing today,the theory test for lorries and buses,
i took a theory and had 15 fails,i think your allowed 5 so it wasn’t a bad first go with no revising :laughing:

cheers

Denis F:

Bloody hell. Was it really 4 years ago that I wrote that. In fact probably longer as it no doubt got migrated from the ‘old’ boards.

Strange how time flies.

:blush: :blush: