Roll on Roll off. 16 gears?

Hi guys.

I passed my class 2 back in march and have just landed my first job. It’s doing roll on roll off skip work. Don’t start till the 31st this month but the boss was telling us the lorry is 24 ton and has 16 gears! When I passed my test it only had the standard 6 gears. Can anyone give me and advise on driving with 16?

Any advice on Roll on Roll off skip work would also be very appreciated. Thanks.

Westyjnr:
Hi guys.

I passed my class 2 back in march and have just landed my first job. It’s doing roll on roll off skip work. Don’t start till the 31st this month but the boss was telling us the lorry is 24 ton and has 16 gears! When I passed my test it only had the standard 6 gears. Can anyone give me and advise on driving with 16?

Any advice on Roll on Roll off skip work would also be very appreciated. Thanks.

4 over 4 with a split on each gear,not as hard as it sounds!

Haven’t driven a rolonoff/hooklift for years, they’ll show you how to operate the equipment, its easy enough and something you can take great pride in accurate use, very versatile bits of kit too, i enjoyed it a lot.

As said a 16 speed box will most likely be 4/4 range change then each gear has a split, of course you won’t use all 16, you’ll most likely use just the 8 of the 4/4 and then select high split 8th once up to cruising speed, once you get used to it and get the feel for the engine characteristics you’ll block change and mix 'n match splits and range changes with the best of them.

Lucky you having a proper lorry, wish i did, and no thats not taking the ■■■■ either, i miss real driving, good luck with the job.

16 gears,have you got a job in the 80s :smiley:

looking forward to trying a big box manual one day only had autos so far!

Make a huge pot of tea and have a look at this: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=44667&p=503943#p503953

Hope that helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I’ve driven Roro’s (Roll on Roll off) for a lot of years. As already said you’ll receive training. One major factor to bear in mind is the size of the skips/bins you’ll be lifting. Your height will vary alot depending on the size of the skip. For example, a 15 yard bin won’t even be as high as your cab, where as a 50 yard bin will probably stand you at 15’ 6".

Good luck,

Tony.