Range splitter gear box

I have a good idea of how these gear boxes work based on youtube videos and no practical experience but do you work through every gear all the time or is there a common pattern that people use. Can you get away with ignoring the half speeds and do you jump gears or work through them all. I’m particularly interested in slowing down rather than accelerating. I’m just asking as I only have auto experience and I’m expecting my first company assessment to be on manuals.

Yes you can block change ,you’ll find once you get used to them you’ll only use certain gears,slowlibg down you can also block change ie go from 6th to 4th ect.

I had my first drive with a “slap over” today. Was quite suprised by how easy it was. I pulled away in 3rd (he said fully loaded we’d use 1st) slapped it over and went straight to 5th. Fortunately modern trucks allow us newbies to block change unlike old trucks/american trucks that need specific revs for changing (thank god)

Although i was a bit shocked at how hard it was to push it over to the left to get it in reverse. It was an Iveco but whether it’s old knackered one or that’s the norm i don’t know.

of every iveco ive ever driven(4 different trucks with 2 different gearboxes) ive never been able to get any of them in reverse without using 2 hands

qwakers:
of every iveco ive ever driven(4 different trucks with 2 different gearboxes) ive never been able to get any of them in reverse without using 2 hands

Makes me feel a bit better ha ha

Jwalsh8.

Do you know which make of truck you are doing your assessment in mate?

Quick tip if it’s a 3 over 3 manual Scania. If loaded, use 1st. I only ever used the half split loaded on hills.
As for decelerating, you run the very high risk of starting a " Gears to go, brakes to slow " debate. Which could rumble on for 30 pages.