Struggling with gears

Just wonder could anyone give a newbie some gud tips on gear changing.i get to do the odd run collecting loaded curtainsides to take back to the yard,I struggle to get the up and going from a stop position,I mostly be driving scania s

jlarmstrong:
Just wonder could anyone give a newbie some gud tips on gear changing.i get to do the odd run collecting loaded curtainsides to take back to the yard,I struggle to get the up and going from a stop position,I mostly be driving scania s

What gear are you starting off in ? ( and I don’t mean your jeans,jumper,jacket etc; ) :wink:

Usually first and go up through them then,sometimes 2 nd,but don’t seem change that smoothly,and seem s to take a age to get up an go

What gearbox is in the vehicle? Also how heavy are the loaded trailers?

If you are running heavy it will take a while to get a head of steam.
Are you maybe changing up too soon?
Don’t rush the shift.

You could be right bazstan 009,I just don’t really know myself,just seem like I’m not changing smoothly,suppose it all comes with time an practice

Push the rev counter well into the yellow before changing and see if that works better

Pause half a second in neutral between changes or better still - double-de-clutch

I thanks Rog,I ll give that a try to see what happens,worth a try

No offence to the OP but surely this will become more common with tests now conducted in autos getting manual rights. You should ask the company you’re working for to give you vehicle familirasition (sp)

Sound advice from ROG,give it a go…

Iv only just started driving and iv noticed that there is a lot of factors to take into account when deciding which gear to start in. I drive a iveco 8 wheel tipper and if I’m loaded on flat or up hill I will go for 2nd, if I’m down hill I use 3rd. If I’m empty I always use 3rd. As ROG said push the revs into the yellow and give It a pause between changes, I tend to give the gas a little blip too keep the revs up.

noney82:
I tend to give the gas a little blip too keep the revs up.

Happy to be corrected, but I believe it is kindest to the gearbox to let the revs drop entirely while changing gear, and then once in gear with clutch down get the engine revs to an appropriate level before lifting the clutch, so engine speed matches road speed taking into account which gear you are in)

That might be what you meant, but keeping the revs high during the whole thing is not the greatest method as far as I’m aware.

th2013:

noney82:

Happy to be corrected, but I believe it is kindest to the gearbox to let the revs drop entirely while changing gear, and then once in gear with clutch down get the engine revs to an appropriate level before lifting the clutch, so engine speed matches road speed taking into account which gear you are in)

That might be what you meant, but keeping the revs high during the whole thing is not the greatest method as far as I’m aware.

Yeah sorry that what I meant, match the speeds. sorry I should of explained that I but more.

Every lorrys diffrent… once you get use to it :slight_smile:

That is true Davy, I learnt in a scania nd got on fine with it. I did 2 days at new job in a daf and hated it, we’ll hate the brake pedal. Got gears off to a tee. Now iv got my own truck which is a iveco with a slap stick which I’m still mastering but I love the brake pedal, the PTO works better than the daf and the power is amazing compared to the daf.

Blipping the throttle just before engaging the gear is a good technique so the revs stay high and does prevent it struggling with weight on = advanced driving when keeping speed going but selecting a lower gear - say from 4th at 40 to 3rd at 40 to negotiate a particular hazard in a car which allows for more flexible control

The only issue with all of my suggestions is that they are not compliant with SAFED - economical driving

The driver has to decide where their priorities lie between good progress and economy

jlarmstrong:
Usually first and go up through them then,sometimes 2 nd,but don’t seem change that smoothly,and seem s to take a age to get up an go

Don’t bother with first gear - the ratio will be miles too short. I am currently driving a rigid and don’t even touch first when I’m loaded. Recommended shifts on my particular vehicle (from the manufacturer - DAF) is 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, and then 8 which I don’t touch until I’m cruising around 50/52 mph. Sometimes don’t even bother with 6 if I’m honest - depends largely on whether I’m going uphill or not as my vehicle hates inclines! Obviously the shift pattern will be determined by load weight and road conditions. Best thing I can suggest here is listen to your engine and learn from it.

Similarly, my vehicle will move off in third quite comfortably empty.

Can’t answer for Artics - haven’t driven one since I passed my test but I’m sure someone on here will be able to help.

th2013:

noney82:

Never tried it.
Don’t you burn the clutch out when you sliding it?

Zanfta:

th2013:

noney82:

Never tried it.
Don’t you burn the clutch out when you sliding it?

Clutch down - out of gear and into neutral - blip throttle and then into gear whilst revs are high - clutch up
or - using double de clutch
Clutch down - out of gear and into neutral - clutch up - clutch down - blip throttle and then into gear whilst revs are high - clutch up

In neither case is the clutch being ‘ridden’ or used in a way it should not

I had the same problem in a lhd 164 couldn’t get the ■■■■■■■ into gear and I was told you just need to get use to it