Struggling with gears

I always struggle coming down the box

just keep trucking - it gets easier, and you quickly work out what does/doesn’t work.

I had a nasty learning experience the other day when a roundabout approach went completely TU because a BMW appeared at the last moment from nowhere doing about 50mph, and he’s actually turning left but doesn’t bother to indicate to tell the rest of humankind about this plan…

So I’m crawling up to the line in 5th with nothing in sight for miles, then he’s suddenly right there; so obviously I stopped “just in case”. He vanishes left, (so I could have kept going) and I’m stuck in high range trying to persuade this shed to please give me a low gear. And at this point I find out that on this truck if you don’t pre-select low range while moving in gear, it has a habit of not changing down to low range. And NOTHING I tried worked, back into 5th, flip switch back, clutch to bite, switch down, back into Neutral, still in high. Eventually I tried turning engine off which seemed to sort it out.

Needless to say I was really careful to be in 4th in plenty of time for every roundabout from that moment onwards!

noney82:
I always struggle coming down the box

Slow it down, watch the revs drop, then clutch down, into neutral, lift off clutch, give it a rev, clutch down, into lower gear, block change (2 or 3 gears) if you like, should take about a second or two for each gear change.

Going up the box, accelerate, foot off accelerator, clutch down, neutral, clutch up, clutch down (double-de-clutch) into gear, shouldn’t need a rev but a little Blip might help if it’s not playing nicely.

Your trying to match your gearbox speed with the road speed, everything’s spinning around in the engine & it’s a matter of matching the speeds up. If the revs have dropped to 1000 rpm & the road speed is 40, there’s no way she’ll go into gear, giving it that rev (good foot full) will bring your engine speed up to match the gearbox & road speed.

Once you get it right, you don’t even need the clutch while you’re rolling, only to stop & start.

Oh, just to add to my last comment- get an Auto, they’re so much easier & less tiring. Lol.

Is it them stupid anti stall things i struggled getting used to it but soon started to chip along! Then they gave me an auto so now i dont even have a gearstick!!!

OP how you been getting on?