4 over 4

Does anyone have any videos I could view of someone using a 4 over 4 gearbox?

Thanks

I looked for one when I was learning but never found anything tbh.

I was planning on making one when I got a job but our lorries are all autos. Except for 2 DAF’s but they have a standard 6 speed.

When I couldn’t find anything on the interwebz I just read through THIS

Sam Millar:
Does anyone have any videos I could view of someone using a 4 over 4 gearbox?

Thanks

Hi Sam,

Here’s a video of a 4 over 4 gearbox, but please just ignore the mention of ‘overdrive’ cos that relates to a 16-speed gearbox, whereas yours is an 8-speed.

I wrote a little introduction to eight-speed gearboxes a while ago.
Please scroll a liitle until you get to “four over four.”
:arrow_right: Introduction to a couple of 8-speed gearboxes WITH PICS - NEW AND WANNABE DRIVERS (INTERACTIVE) - Trucknet UK

I hope this helps. :smiley:

Not a good video for a learner driver Dave, one hand on the stick and winding the wheel with the palm of one hand. That comes later :stuck_out_tongue:

One thing I do wonder about though is Sam trying to learn everything himself, maybe he will get some incorrect or bad advice. Alex McAra is taking him out and teaching him to pass a test at an examination centre he knows well

I question whether the trainer would prefer to start him from scratch without him having any preconceived ideas.

Good idea doing the online tests and reading the highway code though, we maybe all should do that more often

Wheel Nut:
Not a good video for a learner driver Dave, one hand on the stick and winding the wheel with the palm of one hand. That comes later :stuck_out_tongue:

One thing I do wonder about though is Sam trying to learn everything himself, maybe he will get some incorrect or bad advice. Alex McAra is taking him out and teaching him to pass a test at an examination centre he knows well

I question whether the trainer would prefer to start him from scratch without him having any preconceived ideas.

Good idea doing the online tests and reading the highway code though, we maybe all should do that more often

Whom is Alex McAra? There’s no trainers where I am called that haha :slight_smile:

Although funny you should mention that. No secrets about how my course is being funded, I had an interview over the weekend and the guy who will put his money and trust in me had asked if I know my way about a lorry and a 4 over 4 and I said yes etc (honestly and truthfully) and then he said well if you had come to me with no experience as an 18 year old wanting your license I would of told you no, but as you can talk your way around a lorry it’s certainly worth a try. :slight_smile:

Sam Millar:

Wheel Nut:

Whom is Alex McAra? There’s no trainers where I am called that haha :slight_smile:

Although funny you should mention that. No secrets about how my course is being funded, I had an interview over the weekend and the guy who will put his money and trust in me had asked if I know my way about a lorry and a 4 over 4 and I said yes etc (honestly and truthfully) and then he said well if you had come to me with no experience as an 18 year old wanting your license I would of told you no, but as you can talk your way around a lorry it’s certainly worth a try. :slight_smile:

Sorry Sam I got your trainer mixed up with another one, but got a great free plug in for Alex McAra :wink:

hgv-psvtraining.co.uk/course.htm

Wheel Nut:

That’s very true Malc.
However, I wasn’t suggesting that Sam adopts the style of driving shown in the video because IMHO it would only take about five minutes of driving like that to fail a driving test. :wink:

i done my cat C in a straight 6 and my CE in a 4 over 4.
I tried all the videos etc before starting my training. they dont make an ounce of difference other than knowing where the gears are on the stick (which would take about 3 seconds for any competant person to learn anyway)

your trainer will tell you everything you need to know!
If its any help(i assume all gearboxes use the same formation) My trainer told me all odd gears, 1,3,5,7 are with the stick forward(windscreen), and 2,4,6,8 are with the stick backwards (rear of vehicle).

the high box/low box will come apparent when you start driving. no point in filling your brain with stuff now when someone is being paid to tell you :laughing:

stuartrobbie:
i done my cat C in a straight 6 and my CE in a 4 over 4.
I tried all the videos etc before starting my training. they dont make an ounce of difference other than knowing where the gears are on the stick (which would take about 3 seconds for any competant person to learn anyway)

your trainer will tell you everything you need to know!
If its any help(i assume all gearboxes use the same formation) My trainer told me all odd gears, 1,3,5,7 are with the stick forward(windscreen), and 2,4,6,8 are with the stick backwards (rear of vehicle).

the high box/low box will come apparent when you start driving. no point in filling your brain with stuff now when someone is being paid to tell you :laughing:

While this may be true, I really don’t want to waste time forgetting where everything else when I could have it in my head which could save a little bit of time. :slight_smile:

fair point. I just remember looking at all the videos and working it out in my head how it works… then coming to put it into practice just didnt work. also, whilst practicing, my transit van didnt like starting in 3rd and changing to 5th :blush: :laughing: