Switchable gearbox

how do u use 1 of these, when i took my test it was a normal 5 speed box, everything ive driven since has also been that, but i noww have to do a “driving test” for my potential new job using a switchable gearbox, kind of bricking it to be honest, the gaffer says he show me how to use it but i get the feeling i could look like a total plonker :blush:

can anyone give a quick “how to”?

a switchable gearbox,

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
Switching between what :question: :question: :question:

EDIT - I’m guessing that you mean a ‘RANGE CHANGE’ gearbox :question: :question:

yeahi believe its called that

I’m surprised Rog didn’t mention to click the link in his sig. There’s a whole stack of gearbox info there that should answer all your questions.

Yeah, but even Rog draws the line at teaching some people :stuck_out_tongue:

Wheel Nut:

:confused: :confused: :confused: :question: :question: :question:
EH :exclamation:

Wheel Nut:

WTF is that supposed to mean!!!

john_d:

Wheel Nut:

WTF is that supposed to mean!!!

I was confused by that

… onwards to your question :slight_smile: - did you find my write up on the 4 over 4 gearbox :question:

RANGE CHANGE 4 OVER 4 GEARBOX

Imagine a capital H directly on the top of, and covering another capital H with a switch on the gearstick that allows you to change from one level to another. The gears 1 to 4 are on the lower H and gears 5 to 8 are on the upper H. Gear 1 & 5 are the same slot as are 2 & 6, 3 & 7 and 4 & 8.
To work through the box from 1 to 8 and 8 to 1 is as follows: -
Set switch on gearstick to low range, gear 1 is top left as you look at the H, gear 2 is bottom left, gear 3 top right, gear 4 bottom right — go through the gears just as you do for your car, gear 1, 2, 3, 4. Now it gets interesting! — Whilst still in gear 4, move switch on gearstick to high range THEN into neutral and place in the gear 1 slot that is now gear 5. Now straight back to 6 (old 2), top right is 7 (old 3) and straight back to bottom right for 8 (old 4).
Now down the gears (remembering to slow down/brake to a speed that the next gear will engage in) — 8 to 7 to 6 to 5 — range switch to low THEN neutral and into the 4 slot then 3, 2, 1.
On the down changes it will help you a lot if your foot is on the accelerator and not the brake when changing the gear as it gives you the option of “blipping the throttle” to match transmission speed with road speed if you are going a bit too fast for the gear to comfortably engage. It is also known as the “racing driver gear change” for when they want to keep high revs when going into a lower gear.

I mean to discriminate between the two genders for this particular scenario. :slight_smile:
Modern lorry gearboxes are designed for the ladies to use so using muscle to find the gear will not work. (Reverse gear might be the exception).
Males have a tendency, especially when nervous or stressed, to tense up which, in turn, makes the arm muscles stiffen, become over powerful and therefore, less delicate with the gearstick.
If you are having problems when changing the range from say, gear 3 to 5 or 5 to 3, then remember, you can flick the switch in readiness as it will not change the range until you put it in neutral.
From a static start I get my trainees to put switch down, into 3rd, flick switch up. Can now set off in 3rd and then go straight to 5th without touching the switch. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
If the problems are due to rushing the gear change then ‘SAY HELLO’ to neutral :exclamation: - gear 7 to 5 - take out of 7. HELLO NEUTRAL, into 5 :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

GEARS BY DIESELDAVE (with pics)
GEARS BY KRANKEE (with pics)
GEARS AGAIN

yeah i read the aritcle in your link m8, very helpful, doesnt seem that bad :slight_smile: