HELP! I'm learning in a Scania! GEARBOX WOES

Any other learners or recently passed newbee’s having trouble with Scania four over four gearboxes? I am findig the space between first/fifth and third/seventh so close that I keep miss-shifting. :cry: Are there any easy ways around this and are all range change boxes the same?[/b]

Have you read THIS :question: :slight_smile:

OR THIS :question: :slight_smile:

PS - I trained newbies on the exact gearbox you are using and I already KNOW what the problem is likely to be but I’ll let you see if you can work it out first :wink: :slight_smile:

trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=36718

that may help with the gear box

I used a Iveco cargo 4 over 4 slapper box although did my assessment in a ERF 4 over 4 with splitter and found no problems with either

Thanks ROG, all help appreciated :slight_smile:

Warren T. Claim:
Thanks ROG, all help appreciated :slight_smile:

If you have not figured it out in about 1 hour from now - ask me again :wink: :smiley: :smiley:

i have found on most scania’s i have driven with teh 4 over 4 range change on them the gear lever, when in neutral, will sit in between, in the lower range, gears 3 & 4 and 5 & 6 in the upper range.

i dont know if this is relevant for the vehicle you are training in but give it a try.

hope this helps

It’s because the Scania 4 over 4 has the neutral positioned differently to other boxes?[/code]

neutral positioned differently

Nope - but good try :slight_smile:

I’ll come clean - It is a problem that is usually found with Male drivers = MUSCLE :open_mouth: :exclamation:

When the male body gets nervous, the muscles on the upper torso, especially the arm muscles, get adrenaline pumped into them.
This makes the delicate use of the gearbox almost an impossibility for some.
The cure is not to get nervous and to use the gearbox with an almost ‘limp wrist’ with just enough power to push against the spring if needed.

I’m sorry to put this down to somewhat of a gender issue but that is what I have found from my own personal experience of teaching newbies of both sexes.

I found that describing using the gearbox with ‘A Ladies touch’ worked wonders for the male trainees. :slight_smile:

…Waiting for the incoming flak now from some Lady truckers…
… Might need more than bulletproof attire this time :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

ROG:
…Waiting for the incoming flak now from some Lady truckers…
… Might need more than bulletproof attire this time :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

bullet proof apron while you do the washing up■■?

or bullet proof stockings? or is that just your weekend life when we can all call you beryl■■? :laughing:

Giblsa:
or bullet proof stockings? or is that just your weekend life when we can all call you beryl■■? :laughing:

Rebecca actually ‘deary’ :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I trained on a scania 4 over 4 and had a few teething troubles, but they were ironed out within the first couple of hours simply by changing the way I hold the gearstick during gearchanges.

When I was shifting to a gear on the left side I put my palm on the right side of the stick, thumb down, and pushed it away from me into the gear. On a move to the right side of the box i put my palm round the left side of the stick , thumb up, and pulled it towards me and into gear.

It works, when you just grab the stick like your trying to stir a tub full of rocks with a spoon it makes it difficult and that’s exactly what gearbox feels like when you’re trying to get it into gear.

Kiowan:
… when you just grab the stick like your trying to stir a tub full of rocks with a spoon it makes it difficult and that’s exactly what gearbox feels like when you’re trying to get it into gear.

That sounds like the ‘white knuckle’ muscle grip :slight_smile:

Also sounds a little like rushing the change. It’s a wagon, relax, take your time with the changes, and it works a lot better. You won’t break any speed records in it, so why stress yourself out trying?

I think it’ll come to you eventually. I learned and passed in a volvo 4 over 4 box. I had pretty much exactly the same trouble, as for the first few days of learning I was getting third and fifth mixed up every now and then. Later on in the training I got much better, making the odd mistake on rare occasions but from what I’ve heard from some well established trucker colleagues, now and again you will make the odd mistake! Heck, I sometimes fluff it in my car.

The daft thing was that after becoming confident with using the volvo gearbox, I forgot to shift into low range for a hill start during the test. I think I can put that down to nerves. Fortuantely I passed because even though I made the mistake, I handled it in such a way that it was neither unsafe nor inconvenient for other motorists. So it’s not the end of the world if you do get it wrong, but do aim not to!

Warren T. Claim:
Any other learners or recently passed newbee’s having trouble with Scania four over four gearboxes? I am findig the space between first/fifth and third/seventh so close that I keep miss-shifting. :cry: Are there any easy ways around this and are all range change boxes the same?[/b]

:laughing: don’t hold onto the stick like grim death/ when changing up let palm of hand be to the left side of the stick, and let the weight of your hand take the stick accross, changing down let the palm of your hand be to the right side of the stick, stroke it gently, hold it loose like you do your knob, it will be a lot easier then, take note!!(retired old timer 72 years) :laughing: :laughing: stan-the-man
make your driving easier, don’t hold on like grim death,
relax life’s a breeze!!!