Hi everyone

Hello

I’ve been reading through the forums for a day or two and thought it was time to say hi.

I’m in the process of getting my cat C sorted out, I had my medical today so I’ll be sending off the forms tomorrow morning! As usual everything that can go wrong IS going wrong. Too many xmas presents to get and my car dying every five minutes means I’ve got to wait till I can afford to take my theory test.

I was almost stung by Easy As until I saw the facts on here … so thank you very much for that!!! :smiley: :smiley: (just got to try and get them to leave me alone now)

I did have a couple of questions if anyone can answer them for me.

My partners dad was telling me it might be worth writting to a few local haulage firms to enquire about any possible sponsorship for driver training and in return I’d work for them for a minimum contracted time period. Has anyone done this before and recommend it or even know if many companies do this?

I was told by an instuctor (I can’t remember his name) I spoke to the other week that initial CPC training isn’t really needed and you can pass the tests with some home revision and save your self a bit of cash. This doesn’t seem to be good advice to me can anyone confirm this?

Has anyone here got any personal experience with a driving school that they would recommend in the south wales/Cardiff area?

Thank yoooou

:stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

hi mate, i know of a company which may put you through your class c, i was with a company called brakes, they are a food catering company, pretty much like 3663 if you have heard of them. they were gonna put me through my class c and i would have to stay with them for a year at least, they paid decent money but the work is hard, trust me, not much driving and plenty of carrying up and down stairs.

if you look at the 3663 thread, it will prett much mirror what goes on at brakes, dont mean to put you off but just sayin it as it is.

hope i have been of some help :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Hi welcome to the mad house

Sorry in the wrong area for my

But it depends when you passed your car test if it was before 97 then you would have to do the dcpc so would have until sept 2014 otherwise you will have to do the initial cpc

You could write to local firms but as far as I am aware this is not common practice you would have to be already working for the firm sometimes for a while or with some firms you still have to pay for your self

animal:
if it was before 97 then you would have to do the dcpc so would have until sept 2014 otherwise you will have to do the initial cpc

I forgot to say in my first post. I only passed 18 months ago so initial CPC would be required. What the instructor was saying is that I could pass the test without any CPC training, this sounded odd to me. He was saying you can pass the initial CPC by just revising at home in the same way you would revise for a theory test.

It just seems like bad advice to me if I’m honest but I’m no expert

TBH as im not an instructor ( plenty on here ) so could not answer that also I did pass my test a few years ago so just have to do the initial

You could poss pass your practical then go back & do Module 2 & 4 not sure if you could do the revision at home

Hi and welcome to the site

We include the CPC module 2 training in our theory course Free, but there is no reason why if you study the books and discs at home you shouldn’t pass without any training, it does tend to take a little longer but would save you money.

If you have any questions you can always call me and we will answer them for you.

The test fees are Multi choice £35.00 Hazard perception £15.00 and CPC module 2 £30.00.

hope this helps

Good luck Rick

Hi

Yes, you will probably manage the case studies (mod 2 cpc) by home study but you certainly need to have training for mod 4 which is the practical driver cpc.

Try Pembrookshire Road Training at Haverfordwest. That’s a good set up and had the first private test centre in Wales. Tell them I sent you - another pint owing!!

Good luck with it all. Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
Hi

Yes, you will probably manage the case studies (mod 2 cpc) by home study but you certainly need to have training for mod 4 which is the practical driver cpc.

Try Pembrookshire Road Training at Haverfordwest. That’s a good set up and had the first private test centre in Wales. Tell them I sent you - another pint owing!!

Good luck with it all. Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter is spot on there module 4 will need to be trained but I would think your training provider would include this with your practical training, we do and I am sure Peter does.

Peter you are going to get quite drunk on all these pints :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Peter you are going to get quite drunk on all these pints

Rick. Planning to exchange the pints for a Bentley :laughing: :laughing:

BTW both Rick & Peter will give you a lot of advice if you phone them

Yes I have done so at times :wink: thanks

Thanks for the information.

I thought that the mod 4 cpc would be the area where I would really need training. All the schools I’ve spoke to have quoted around the 750 to 850 mark and the CPC is NOT included in them.

Thanks everyone

LR18-8:
Thanks for the information.

I thought that the mod 4 cpc would be the area where I would really need training. All the schools I’ve spoke to have quoted around the 750 to 850 mark and the CPC is NOT included in them.

Thanks everyone

So what is that for then :question: :question:

Does it include medical theory HPT training test & VAT :question:

Well the best quote I have found is …

£725 for a five day course + driving test (I could be put on a shorter course depending the outcome of my assessment drive)

This does not include my theory/hazard £35/£15 or CPC £30 case study £55 practical demonstration and lets not forget the actual training fee too £150 (This also covers vehicle rental etc for the practical demo)

Which is a grand total of £1010 including VAT

Do these figures sound about right?

That sounds like a decent price tbh

But dont always go for the cheapest have an assessment drive with all of the providers in your area

Which is a grand total of £1010 including VAT

Do these figures sound about right?

NO! Sounds dangerously cheap to me. It’s probably 2:1 training over a short training day. Check the instructor qualifications, reversing facilities, quality of training vehicle and try and get a recommendation. Above all, visit and take the assessment drive. If you don’t feel 100% comfy, run a mile!

Good luck, Pete :laughing: :laughing: