Hello!..and a couple of questions

Hi!

I’ve been lurking here for a while, just registered, first post - so please be gentle!

So, I’ve decided I want to do my Cat C Licence. I went down to my local training providers (one of the companies in the ‘recommended list’ elsewhere on this forum) this morning.

They said they don’t offer an assessment drive, but would refuse to put me forward for my test should they feel I’m not up to it.

They also charge £645 for a five day course. Tuition normally 2-1, with 2.5 hours behind the wheel. I’m guessing the 5th day is the test day - they did say they test on Saturdays and Mondays - but I forgot to clarify that. So, realistically, I’m looking at about 10 hrs driving over 4 days.

Is this enough? Does it sound like the ‘norm’ ? Or coupled with the above, should I avoid this place?

Also, am I correct in assuming you have to do C first, and that you cant jump in and do C+E right away?

Well, that’s all I can think of at the moment. I guess booking my medical depends on any replies I get!

Thanks for reading, any replies appreciated.

Cheers,

CD…

Welcome :slight_smile:

Others can give better advise about the training school although I can confirm that the C needs to be done befroe the CE.

Firstly welcome to you loads of people will be here to help you whatever question you ask (nothing is too silly honest :wink:)
You have seen the place have seen the trucks they use and so met the people there did you like them ? did they make you feel at ease could you learn from them?
now as for assesment drive is there another company you could have an assesment drive with or are you happy to go with the company you have been to without assesment drive personaly i think if you feel happy i would go with gut feeling but if its recommended on here say name of company and someone is bound to reply with a comment or two either way good luck and make sure you feel right before parting with any money thats my opinion anyway
jennie x :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

@ mrpj - thanks, I did think so, but just a silly question that popped into my head on the way home!

@Jennie - thanks :smiley: Company is Central Transport Training in Wolverhampton. Not sure if the lady I spoke to is an instructor or not, but she was friendly enough. Trucks are circa 53 plate, 2x Merc and an Iveco IIRC. All 3 in the yard, maybe business is slow for them just now - perhaps indicitive of a ‘price-negotiation’ oppertunity!? £64.50 an hour does seem a lot, but as no one has screemed alarm bells, must be about right.

Personally that price is good my training cost 1199 for 5 days 2-1 we were out from 7 am came back about 3 half me driving half other lad had 4 days training with test on 5th for me that worked as can also watch other driver pick up on mistakes they made so you dont make same but as i say its how you feel about them have you been in atruck before or will this be the first time you every driven anything bigger than a car or van ? jennie x

Hi Jennie,

Thanks again for your reply. The £645 is just for the training itself. All in all, whole thing would cost £1300. (I’d get the hazzard perception DVD, as I didn’t have to do HP for my car licence, but did for my bike licence and only scraped a pass.)

Nope, I’ll be popping my truck cherry! Biggest I’ve driven to date is Big Merc Sprinter and longest is car + glider trailer.

I’m looking at about 10 hrs driving over 4 days.

Seems a bit light on time.

They said they don’t offer an assessment drive, but would refuse to put me forward for my test should they feel I’m not up to it.

Surprised there’s no offer of an assessment. Folk often book without one but it’s generally on offer - and sometimes for free. No responsible trainer would let anyone take a test if they were going to endanger other road users.

Seems a little confusing to be honest. As they’re recommended I suggest you go back and ask more questions. :laughing: :laughing:

caitlinsdad:
They also charge £645 for a five day course. Tuition normally 2-1, with 2.5 hours behind the wheel. I’m guessing the 5th day is the test day - they did say they test on Saturdays and Mondays - but I forgot to clarify that. So, realistically, I’m looking at about 10 hrs driving over 4 days.

Is the £645 including the cost of the test ?

The reason I ask is because I’ve just looked at their website and as far as I can see the cheapest 5 day cat C course with the test is £760, correct me if I’m wrong but I believe the test is £115 which together with the £645 you’ve been quoted would make the course and test £760 as stated on their website.

Central Transport Training

You may want to clarify this before booking :wink:

I believe tonka236 trained with them, maybe an idea to pm him and see what he says about them :smiley:

10hours training seems a little light to be honest :confused:

think there are a few more training providers in your area tbh so i would go & check them out as well also se if they would give you an assessment drive as a 5 day course doesn’t suit all and may be better to pay for extra day training than fail test & have to re sit the test

there is no easy way to pass the HPT tbh but the theory is just practice & always read the question twice

if you are going to do your CatC have you checked to see what vacancies are around in your area how easy it will be to get a job after you pass :question: ect

welcome to the mad house btw :laughing:

ask anything you like on here

yep found my “g” DD

@ Tacho - no, not including test fee. I was aware of the additional £115 - thanks for looking out for me though :wink:

@ garner - thanks, will do.

@animal - thanks - will have a look for other training companies, don’t think there’s too many about here tbh. As for a job afterwords, there’s a few agencies about til I get some decent experience. I’ve read on here about just how difficult it is to get on the ladder.

if not been in a truck before i would say 10 hrs was a little light on the driving

Hi and welcome Caitlinsdad

garnerlives:
I believe tonka236 trained with them, maybe an idea to pm him and see what he says about them

I thought my ears were burning… :wink: :wink:
Your close Garner, I did look in to CCT for my training and heard good things about them. They also offered the five day course without it being based on an assessment drive. Personally for that reason I did shop around and found other provides who were both dearer and cheaper, however this was based on my skills (or lack off :laughing: ) behind the wheel of the truck.
I’ll pose this question at you…what if your useless (obviously your not but for the sake of this question) and need more than 5 days to get you up to test standard? Or on the otherhand your the best thing to driving and dont need a fve day course but instead a 3day course? By shelling out for the 5 dayer you could potentially be losing extra money that could be used for C+E/Hiab/Buying the members on here a pint each :laughing:

garnerlives:
10hours training seems a little light to be honest

For me as well, 10hrs does seem short. On the face of it (obviously I could be wrong) it seems more of do this like this, do this like that and you will pass your test.
I ended up going to Grants of Cannock (grantsofcannock.co.uk) who after the assessment drive offered me a five dayer for £700 including test. We went everywhere off test routes and you learn about driving in the real world rather than just to get your ticket. Ended up doing between 4-5hours each day on a 1-2-1 basis.
I opted for the test at Swynnerton as its some 15mins to the nearest town, so that uses 30mins of the actually test up.
The main bloke, Grant, was an owner driver and as a firm it was a relaxed environment and felt more about pass rate rather than getting you in the door to part with your money.
The only downside was…the truck was a scania :imp: :imp: :imp: More of a renault man myself :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

I was converted to the scania by the end of it…i ended up doing the wag and drag C+E with them

caitlinsdad:
just a silly question that popped into my head

Its good to ask them kind of questions…the only silly question normally is the one you dont ask

If your looking into doing this I can provide a couple of numbers for you to enquire about on the workfront (albeit agencies but hey it all helps with experience).

caitlinsdad:
Nope, I’ll be popping my truck cherry! Biggest I’ve driven to date is Big Merc Sprinter and longest is car + glider trailer.

I was same only thing i had driven was big white refridgerated van but when got in truck for first time was fantastic if you go for assesment first ,the instructor will be able to tell you how much training you need they can tell honest :wink: :wink: If you a good driver you should be fine but book that assesment it will make you feel better as at moment you dont know how it will feel to drive but once you do you will be hooked :wink: jennie x

Hi Tonka, thanks for your post. I’ll check out Grants, and if/when the time comes - i’ll be in touch.

Jennie, you’re right. Assessment drive is the way ahead. Defo going to do one of those first.

Cheers :grimacing:

let us know how you get on
jennie x :smiley:

Hiyyaaa caitlindads , does the price youve been quoted include VAT ?, shop about for your medical- the price can vary (form D4 required) , provincial licence (form D2) Free. - obtianable from dvla. & welcome. :smiley:

Oh forgot to mention the medical. Must be old age setting in…
Seeing as you appear to be local to the Wolverhampton area then…
Mr D Pottinger
Lyndhurst
Wolverhampton Street
Willenhall
WV13 2NL
Tel 01902 635952
£15 - Jul 10

bonnie lass:
Hiyyaaa caitlindads , does the price youve been quoted include VAT ?, shop about for your medical- the price can vary (form D4 required) , provincial licence (form D2) Free. - obtianable from dvla. & welcome. :smiley:

My training provider arranged everything from medical ( incl forms ) to booking HPT & Theory also CD ( although didnt work in my lappy ) right through to test

In fact all 4 training providers where I live do this

found how do do caps as well DD :laughing:

Could also have a look hear

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=23685