First assessment drive before my class C training!

Hey guys.

This is only my 3rd post on here. Ive got my theory tests booked for a weeks time and i went for my first assessment drive yesterday in a class 2.

I really enjoyed it,though i did hit a few kerbs while i got used to the size of the thing. The steering was so different than my car or any van ive driven too,it felt very light and needed more turning to go in the direction i wanted. The gearbox was different too (i think its a slapbox,1,2,3,4 then slap it to the right to change to the higher end gears),pulling off in 3rd was new to me lol and the clutch had a much higher bite than im used to. Towards the end of the assessement i was finally starting to get the hang of everything and tried some very slow reversing which wasnt too bad. I think i really could have done with another 30 minutes to continue getting the feel for the handling,braking etc.

Im happy this is the trainer i want to go with as ive heard great things about them on here. Ive been told the basic 15 hour course should get me up to test standard,i hope i learn quick cause 15 hours doesnt seem that long really. Ive been thinking about asking for another assessment drive from them before i put some proper cash down,do people often do this or is it a waste of time?

Im hoping to get my class C before xmas then go for my C+E some time in the new year,but this depends on whether i pass the C first time or not. I hope it all goes ok as i LOVE driving and it would be great to have it under my belt whether i leave my present job soon or not.

Im just revising for my theory tests for next week,got them all on the same day so hope it goes ok. One step at a time :smiley:

Well done sounds like you enjoyed it, That is a step in the right direction all time behind the wheel before test day, you can ask for a second drive but doubt they will risk it again without money down, but a second drive elsewhere wont hurt I took 4 . :grimacing: but only 1 gets the work.

dave_890:
Well done sounds like you enjoyed it, That is a step in the right direction all time behind the wheel before test day, you can ask for a second drive but doubt they will risk it again without money down, but a second drive elsewhere wont hurt I took 4 . :grimacing: but only 1 gets the work.

Yeah i really did enjoy it. Gotta say i was a little nervous for a start as it handles completely differently to anything else ive driven,it was my first time in any kind of hgv though. There was a small charge for the assessment drive but ill ask for another to before i put any serious cash down and see what they say.