Cat C next week

Well eventully got my cat c training and test next week.
Just wondering if anyone here has taken there test with a company with “RITCHIES” in Glasgow as thats who im with and if you have what are they like as in are they any good.
Will let u know how i get on cos at this moment in time im a little nervous :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

HAVE FUN - try to keep a smile whilst training - it sounds daft but it helps you relax and learn - the more fun it is, the quicker you learn.
Are you doing 1 to 1 or 2 to 1? - how many days?
I hope you have trawled through the posts on this site to get some insights and tips before you start.
Have you been practicing? - a lot can be learnt before you get into a truck!

PS if you suffer with nerves then KALMS herbal tablets may help.

Thanks for the reply Rog and the words of wise.
Im doing a 1 on 1, 5 day intensive and i have been practicing as much as poss.
Will deff try the kalms :smiley:

You’re welcome - I’ve sent you 2 PMs

I passed my cat C a month ago, good luck buddy.

Rip the middle mirror off your car, that helped me a lot.

thanks talisman and as for the mirror i drive a van so no prob there… :smiley:

rich32:
Thanks for the reply Rog and the words of wise.
Im doing a 1 on 1, 5 day intensive and i have been practicing as much as poss.
Will deff try the kalms :smiley:

Rich, as you may have read I passed my Class 2 yesterday, and I can tell you it feels great to be on the 1st rung of the ladder and being classed as a 'professional driver.

Similar to you I also did an intensive 5 day 1 to 1 course with Tockwith near York. I can tell you that after the first day my head was ready to explode with the concentration involved. But, it got easier as the week went along & by test day on Friday I felt as though I had advanced a hell of a lot, and had a better idea of what is involved in driving a lorry through towns, villages etc.
As it happened I failed my test at the end of the week, and was very disappointed & despondent to say the least. But I got great advice & encouragement from the folks on this forum, and quickly picked myself up & rebooked my test.
I couldn’t get a re-test for 6 weeks & was concerned that I would ‘forget’ a lot of the stuff I had learned.

However, I needn’t have worried as after an hour or so I was right back into it & raring to go again. This time I was a lot more relaxed & went into my test with the attitude that I was going to show the examiner ‘how well I could drive an LGV’, and that he would have to really search for something to fail me on.

Anyway it seemed to work & whilst I had a few moments when I thought I had dropped a b *llock, I passed with just 6 minors. Was I pleased or what?

Don’t worry nerves are a natural part of the process, and is a good thing in that it focuses the mind to a certain extent. I must admit that they probably got the better of me in my first test. It’s because it means so much to you that you get nervous.

It’s important to put it into perspective though and realise that should you not pass first time, ‘It ain’t the end of the world’, and as my instructor said just before my test, ‘at least you’re not driving AND getting shot at in Iraq’. That really made me realise that all I had to do was drive on the roads around Wetherby & deal with anything that happens. Relaxed me a lot to be honest.

Rich, you will be fine mate, and will very soon be delighted to have that pass certificate. It really is worth it, and you can feel proud that you have proved you can drive to a far higher standard than the vast majority of the population.

Good luck for next week, and enjoy the fact that you are learning a very useful & important skill. I have a BA and MA degree, and without a doubt I feel a far more sense of acheivement getting my Class 2. Class 1 next.

If it was easy & wasn’t worth the effort then they would give HGV licences to every muppet that wanted one. What a frightening thought.
All the best mate & let us know how you are progressing. Just enjoy it !!! You’ll be fine

thats bizarre, i also have a degree, and i felt more satisfaction at getting my pass than at my graduation. I thought i was weird, but perhaps not.

The thing that helped me a lot was learning to not drop a clanger and worry about it.

During your test you will probably get a gear stuck, of forget to indicate.

Just shrug it off and carry on, if you let it get to you then you will do it again and thats where the trouble begins.

I great quote that i read on this forum is:

“Just treat the test as your time to demonstrate to the examminer what you have been taught”

I was saying that to myself all the way round, and it helped a lot.

Oh, and get lots of sleep.

Thanks for all the advice guys. As i said i am nervous and very very excited too, just cant wait to get stuck in cos i just love to learn and also love a challenge :open_mouth: (Not a nerd honest!!!) :smiley:
I must admit when i passed my theory i never stopped smiling all day :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .
Anway thanks again for all the advice and by the way Rog i bought my KALMS today… lol :sunglasses: