Hello all

Hello, I am new to the forum in the sense that I haven’t posted much, but have been reading posts for the last four to five weeks, I have my cat c training starting mon 16th and test the following Friday, if I pass I will be going right on to c+e, anyway just writing to say thanks for all posts that have been very usefull, full of knowledge and guidance, I think the forum is great keep up the good work, thank you.

hi there and welcome

good luck with your training and dont forget to do a little diary

Jx

Welcome :slight_smile:

Welcome.

Best of luck with your training and test.

Keep us up to date on how it’s going :wink:

Hello welcome. Good luck with your training next week. And dont forget to tell us how your getting on.
Mike

Thanx peeps, working in morning lessons in the afternoon 1pm - 5pm, will post diary, now time for bed been working nights all week and both sat sun on days need mi rest, night night y’all.

Welcome, I’m new here to, looking forward to reading another training diary, :smiley:
Good luck, let us all know how it’s going.

Reeto here goes,
I am learning with a company called Wigan lgv/Pcv training centre, I think I got a good price £1850 for job lot that’s from driver medical to c and c+e licence inc dcpc, all test fees, theory, hazard perception, as long as I pass first time, if i fail any its more dosh.
Class c training day 1, really enjoyed myself, cocked up on the gears a couple of times being to heavy with the lever ( lightly does it the instructed says treat her like a lady ) first off vehicle checks outside and in, explained tacho procedures, the vehicle is a Daf cf 65.250, 33ft long, 8.2ft wide, 13.6ft tall and 15 tonne, 04 plate. Instructor explained splitter gears as we drove to a nice empty plot, therer are 8 gears 4 low 4 high, at the car park he said right lad jump in and have a drive round, I thought [zb] here goes, climbed in and off I went driving round and in and out of kerbed areas, hit the kerb a couple of times with the rear, not checking mirrors, went through reversing procedure but didn’t actually perform any, he let me drive home which I thought was brave of him, drive back to yard goes fine considering it was rush hour, overall a good drive just need to forward plan better, need to work on forward planning, can’t stress that enough get yourself and the vehicle sorted early then it’s observations, can’t wait to get back behind the wheel.
Anyway I will leave buy saying Mirrors Mirrors Mirrors and also it’s like driving a big jelly, thanks all see you on day 2.
:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Oh btw the 4 hr lesson was quite comprehensive and afterwards my head hurt.

A good price for everything in.

Sounds like you had a good first day. It must be somewhat draining to be at work AM and then train PM. Sure you will be fine :slight_smile:.

Can’t stress enough how important those mirrors and blind spots are. Examiner will be looking for more than just glances in the mirror and proper over the shoulder looks down your right side before setting off.

Take your time when approaching junctions and hazards. It gives you more time to deal with gears and steering.

When the road is clear and driving conditions permit, get up to speed so the examiner can see you a) know the speed limit and b) can handle it with confidence.

Best of luck for the rest of the week :slight_smile:

Really good price for all that! They have IRO £400 test fees and medical to pay. That leaves 1450. Over £200 VAT leaves them about £1200 to run 2 courses. Don’t know how that can work but none of my business. I would be loosing money all the time at those prices. At the end of the day, you seem to have got a bargain.

Just one observation

therer are 8 gears 4 low 4 high

and this is not a splitter as you called it. That’s a totally different animal. What you have is a range change. It’s a pet hate of mine - sorry.

All the best with it.

What’s a splitter, sorry for my lack of knowledge :blush:

Wannabeheretolearn:
What’s a splitter, sorry for my lack of knowledge :blush:

Hi and good luck with the training.A splitter is another button on the side of the gear lever.This I am right in thinking allows you to split the full gears to half gears.Ie.Pull away in second and then flick the button on the side and dip the clutch and it will be 2 and a half gears.Used mostly when fully freighted.Might have got the explation wrong and stand to be corrected. :smiley: .Not driven a manual for about ten years now.They all been auto’s.How I miss the old days.Especially for those of us that have used the old eaton twin splitter.Happy days. :smiley:

Hello again.
Day 2, tacho filled out and put in, check vehicle, juice up and off we go, drove for about 2 hrs doing what needed to be done then started to make mistakes, messing up positions and gears, kinda overdoing it trying to be to precise, taking to long checking mirrors, signalling, position, braking and gear selection, shortly after pulls up for a little chat talking about my mistakes and how I make things difficult for myself, for instance - driving along doing all the stuff I need to do but doing them as if they were on a checklist also driving to slow to cautiously, he told me to relax, drive like I would be driving my own vehicle but make sure you do the checks, starts of again driving with confidence getting up to speed, braking when needed, checks, positions, settled and had the best 1hr 30 mins driving so far, drove back to the yard reversed in, inbetween a couple of trucks no probs brilliant.
can’t wait for Tomoz.

The gear stick has a switch, start off in second With switch down, then change to fourth, flick switch up then change to fifth and so on.

Thanx for comments peeps.

Hi Peter, the deal is I do both licenses back to back so saves me £130.

Cracking deal. Cant believe how they do it - but, hey, who cares!!■■

The gear stick you describe is most certainly a range change. Don’t get bogged down in my soapbox lecures - loads of experienced drivers call it a splitter. It’s just that theyr’e all wrong!

Good luck with it, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
The gear stick you describe is most certainly a range change. Don’t get bogged down in my soapbox lecures - loads of experienced drivers call it a splitter. It’s just that theyr’e all wrong!

Indeed.

The difference is obvious if you think of a four over four range change box that also has a splitter.

The range change shifts by four gears.
The splitter shifts by half a gear - it gives you a gear in between a full gear. For example, fifth high is between fifth low and sixth low - it’s effectively ‘fifth and a half’ gear.

Hello again and sorry for no post, day 3 and 4 was getting used to manoeuvring the vehicle on the road, questions in relation to vehicle and son on, anyways test today and failed :frowning: I’m gutted, 7 minors and 3 serious, serious :- first 5 mins on road uphill start pulled away no indicator , wrong lane at roundabout, didn’t use a bus lane, maybe next time.

Cheers.

djw:

Peter Smythe:

Indeed.

The difference is obvious if you think of a four over four range change box that also has a splitter.

The range change shifts by four gears.
The splitter shifts by half a gear - it gives you a gear in between a full gear. For example, fifth high is between fifth low and sixth low - it’s effectively ‘fifth and a half’ gear.

Explained in this old thread:
viewtopic.php?t=36632