Hgv driver trainers

Hi all would like to ask you a questions

here goes

have you ever had a trainee that you thought would never pass but did first time,

have you tried to train some one that would not listen to you and always do it there way

and have you ever had to refuse a driver cos he/she can not drive

hope you don’t mined thought is was about time you lot had a say about us that all :stuck_out_tongue:

delboytwo:
have you ever had a trainee that you thought would never pass but did first time,

Oh yes - just one though - could not overtake a bicycle safely!! - He went on test and encountered no moving hazards which he needed to deal with - do you call that being fortunate or not :question: :question: :unamused:
I would not like to have been anywhere near him when he first ventured out with a rigid on his own…

delboytwo:

The one above - I refused to train him for CE until he learnt how to drive - he came back after 3 months of driving C and was a totally different driver - he passed CE first time and he deserved to :smiley: - he had paid for both C & CE with 2 extra tests which he never used !!

delboytwo:
have you tried to train some one that would not listen to you and always do it there way

Not really - have had to adapt the explanation of what is required so the trainee could understand as not everyone is the same.

If all else fails then there is always the - “You will NOT pass the test if you drive like that!!” - but I have never had to say that.

Honesty is always the best policy. In the last 39 years I’ve had a handfull of candidates who were totally unsuited to the job and they have been told so - politely. Remember that although driving may not be their “thing”, they may well be destined for bigger and better things than I would consider.
Where someone is approaching test but clearly has little chance of passing, they are always told. If they choose to take more training, then I pay for the lost test fee. If they choose to attempt the test, they will be allowed to provided that there isn’t a disproportionate risk to the public or my vehicle. If the risk is too great, they will not be allowed to take the test.
It has to be said that very occasionally, someone does actually pass unexpectedly; this is a fault in the test system rather than my ability to forecast.
As for people wanting to do their own thing rather than listen to instruction, a professional instructor will be able to deal with this - and often so subtly that the trainee won’t even realise. In fact, this is regularly part of the LGV Instructor’s Register test.
IMO there is no finer job in the world. I consider myself to be so fortunate that I actually look forward to going to work. The satisfaction far and away outweighs the odd little blips.
But as has been said, it’s all about the candidate. It’s not about making money (but profit aint a dirty word if you want to stay in business).
I believe in looking at things from the customer’s perspective; it seems to work. :laughing: :laughing:

delboytwo:

The short answer to this is NO errr YES, let me explain, we assess our candidates slightly differntly to most, and providing they take the number of day’s recomended they will be above a test standard (we will guarantee that) and will pass. Now where the yes comes in, we are all human and nerves because of that word test can completely send people to another planet.

To give an example we had a candidate (a really nice guy) who’s first language was not english and this can pose problems but we overcame this, test day came you know the ritual extra toilet rolls etc. he duly went for his test and came back within 45 mins of his test time to the office, as you know this can not be a good sign, test aborted dangerous, this was down to nerves, after a long discussion I convnced him he did NOT need any more training just a warm up drive and test, to cut a longer story short second test passed with NO minors and NO extra training. Proof of this is in our office.

delboytwo:

No a professional instructor would not let this happen, and truth is if you have just spent close to a grand or more you would listen.

delboytwo:

Not happened yet but I aint dead yet either.
Although I have refused to train someone who I suspected was taking drugs, needless to say he never saw the inside of a cab.

delboytwo:
hope you don’t mined thought is was about time you lot had a say about us that all :stuck_out_tongue:

Don’t mind at all you are welcome.