Help!

I’ve passed my theory and medical and I’ve just been told by my employer that I have my class C assessment drive on Saturday morning. :open_mouth: Any ideas as to what I should know (apart from everything) and what I should expect (anything to happen)? Other than that any advice would be appreciated! :confused:

Hi Ambre welcome to Truknet :slight_smile: , On your assessment drive
you will do a drive round and probably a reverse
exercise. That’s what I did anyway and the assessment is
usually 1 hour I think. Take a look at this it shows reverse
exercise and things onthe test page - stockporthgv.co.uk/hgvhome.htm

If you have not driven a vehicle with air brakes
before you might need a little time to get used to them.
You need to use mirrors a lot and when you turn left
don’t be to far over to the left as you
will go up the kerb. All these you will learn from
your instructor and more. Enjoy your training Ambre

I wouldn’t worry about it they probably just want to know you can handle a truck, and as it will be your first time they won’t be expecting much.

I’d guess a quick trip around the yard or on the road and a go at parallel reversing would do it. Oh, if they get you to blind side reverse ask if it’s ok to spin around and reverse on your good side, shows initative…

Hiya Ambre, and welcome to TruckNetUK mate…

Am I right in thinking that this is an assessment drive with a Driving School??.. If it is, all they will be looking at is how you drive and handle the vehicle so they can ‘guesstimate’ how much training you would need to get you up to Test Standard…

If that is the case, you dont need to worry about how much or how little you know. They will teach you what you NEED to know for the test.

But Convoy has got soem great points there… but one more I can think of is… Dont Rush Anything… You take it at your own pace, in your own time, and at a speed you feel comfortable with…
Agai, welcome to TN mate, and all the best of luck with your Training…

Ambre:
Other than that any advice would be appreciated! :confused:

Phone in sick :wink: :smiley: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

simon

Having done mine just over 12 months ago the main thing I remember was being told that my speed was pretty slow, i.e. 20 mph average. I was surprised at this comment, never having driven anything as large on the road as a class 2. During my course, (with another instructor) I was told I was going too fast! Oh well.
I hope you enjoy the assesment as much as I did. All I can advise is to relax as much as possible.

don’t worry about it m8,take things at your pace and listen to the instructor :laughing:

welcome to trucknetuk

Just have fun!

Just enjoy it, I totally stuffed mine up, I the instructor had to drive me back 'cause I went to pieces when I went out on the road in a empty 17tonner :unamused:. Now I’m handling fully loaded artics and thoroughly ejoying myself with it. Don’t be expecting to do great things, listen to and learn from your instructor, they should give you some info on the day and above all - enjoy it :wink: .

Sorry, nerarly forgot :unamused: :Welcome to TrucknetUK Ambre :wink:.

Just go and enjoy the experience and don’t expect to be brilliant, you might be, but don’t expect it . I got rollocked for driving too fast, reving it to high and changing down too early for the corners. Basicly drivng it like I ride my bike.

The cheeky sod who took me for my assessment told me it was good to see that I wasn’t putting on a show as he wanted to see how I drove so he knew what he had to work with.
An easement drive is just that the instructor assessing you.
He will be expecting someone who has never driven HGV’s before, so it will be a get to know you time where he can see how you respond & what you require.

Try and remember the ‘attention to detail’ of those lttle things that you did during your Cat B trg and probably still do but now without realising i.e. mirror checks.

I am a DSA Reg driving instructor and 90% of vocational students, during the early part of their training, concentrate so hard on what is through the front window, they forget about the sides and rear!! Good all-round observations are the key words here.

Perhaps one of the main things about the assessment drive is to be ‘honest’ and by this I mean let the instructor see the real you, warts & all,. This way he won’t plan too little trg for you and book a test too early, on the flip side you don’t want to be out with him forever!!

Thanks for all the advice. Well, I didn’t phone in sick but I felt pretty aprehensive. The instructor really put me at ease and did a demo drive first. He spent some time explaining the controls and then I was in charge. It went quite well, at least when I got back all the bumpers and lights were in the same place as when I set off :smiley:
Anyway, it’s off for a week and then I should find out when my course is booked. I’m looking forward to it. I went on a course in Manchester last July, 2 days with an 83 year old instructor who accomplished nothing other than totally destroying the little confidence I had, not suprised I failed the test. Things can only get better… :laughing:

Ambre, I dont know which part of Notts youre from, but if you live near the city there`s quite a few good driving schools in the area. I did my C + E with Trent Training at Kimberley. I failed at the first attempt, but that was because I was a bag of nerves and totally messed up on the reverse. I re-booked my test for 4 days later and managed to keep my nerve and passed. It was some years ago now, but most of the driving schools around here have been going for quite a while, so they must be doing something right :laughing:
Regards
Trev