Assessment drive

Hi guys,

Iam looking for some advice… I’ve got a driving assessment coming up and was looking for some advice. Basically I past my class 1 in April and haven’t yet driven so I’ve got no experience. I was wondering if anyone had any tips for me to be successful. Iam a little nervous as I haven’t driven since passing etc. Iam probably over thinking too much which is probs normal. They know I haven’t got any experience so I suppose there not expecting me to be great anyway. Replies would be appreciated.

Cheers

To guarantee success, just answer all the questions correctly, show the right attitude and have a perfect assessment drive. Reverse wherever they tell you without any faults or imperfections (including blindside if required) and you’ll nail it.

However, if reality kicks in and you find that you’re not actually perfect yet, just do the best you can and be honest with them. If you’re inexperienced a good driver trainer/assessor will try to help you out. They’ll give you an easier reverse, they’ll probably talk you through it and give you a hand. If you can’t blindside it yet then maybe they’ll let you off for the time being, and suggest a week or two of supervision and training if they give you the job. The main thing is to have the right attitude - provided you’re fundamentally sound and not a danger on the road you stand a good chance.

Don’t overthink it, just do the best that you can. Let them judge you for what you really are, that’s the safest way.

Hopefully il be OK just not driving for months after passing is making me nervous… hope it’s not a blindside reverse lol only done reversing during training and on the test… but they might take it into account that iam a newbie fingers crossed. Looking good forward to it as well. Do you usually couple and un couple as well. Cheers

Some couple/uncouple some don’t.If you do when you’re un-coupling don’t jump out and pull the pin first,leave it till last,I’ve seen a few fail their assessment for pulling that ruddy pin first.

Just take your time and you’ll be fine :wink:

mikeycass87:
Hi guys,

Iam looking for some advice… I’ve got a driving assessment coming up and was looking for some advice. Basically I past my class 1 in April and haven’t yet driven so I’ve got no experience. I was wondering if anyone had any tips for me to be successful. Iam a little nervous as I haven’t driven since passing etc. Iam probably over thinking too much which is probs normal. They know I haven’t got any experience so I suppose there not expecting me to be great anyway. Replies would be appreciated.

Cheers

Drive in a smooth fuel efficient way using plenty of mirrors and indicate whenever necessary and obey all speed limits, with your reversing you’ll probably be allowed to get out and have a look if you think you’re getting close to something they’ll probably be looking for someone who is going to be safety conscious.

Ramon123:
Some couple/uncouple some don’t.If you do when you’re un-coupling don’t jump out and pull the pin first,leave it till last,I’ve seen a few fail their assessment for pulling that ruddy pin first.

Thanks for the advice. I’ve got the word black stuck I side my head from training for uncoupling and reversed for coupling so I can’t go wrong hopefully… and then it’s just the airlines and electrics… are electrics always colour coded to where they go I know iam guna panick etc can’t be helped I suppose. Cheers

Cheers bald bloke so basically treat it like my test then nice driving don’t rush anything and know clipping kerbs :smiling_face:

mikeycass87:

Ramon123:

Thanks for the advice. I’ve got the word black stuck I side my head from training for uncoupling and reversed for coupling so I can’t go wrong hopefully… and then it’s just the airlines and electrics… are electrics always colour coded to where they go I know iam guna panick etc can’t be helped I suppose. Cheers

All the lines can only go into their designated slot so you won’t get that wrong.

mikeycass87:
Cheers bald bloke so basically treat it like my test then nice driving don’t rush anything and know clipping kerbs :smiling_face:

I used to be a part time assessor in my last job and a pet hate of mine was drivers who drove it like they stole it and changing lanes without either indication or looking. But don’t drive too slow you’ll still need to make reasonable progress too .

bald bloke:

mikeycass87:
Hi guys,

Cheers

Drive in a smooth fuel efficient way using plenty of mirrors and indicate whenever necessary and obey all speed limits, with your reversing you’ll probably be allowed to get out and have a look if you think you’re getting close to something they’ll probably be looking for someone who is going to be safety conscious.

+1

Showing you know that the retarder does as well doesn’t hurt… :wink:

Best of luck mate! :smiley:

Assessors like it when you take your time - leave a big gap in front and gently trundle up to roundabouts, traffic lights etc (hopefully not even having to stop) with plenty of use of exhaust brake etc.

When it comes to reversing onto bays etc, no assessor expects you to be a driving god and nail it in one movement. Get it going in the right general direction to begin with, then pull forward, straighten up and have another go rather than continuing to “chase the tail” into an ever-decreasing space (if you get my meaning).

Not having a dig or nothing mate but what you been doing since April? Only asking cus it would of been a lot better to gain experience during the summer months when days are longer etc…

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Berty:
Not having a dig or nothing mate but what you been doing since April? Only asking cus it would of been a lot better to gain experience during the summer months when days are longer etc…

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I’ve been trying to get a driving job… I’ve also been working full time till something came up. I understand your point though mate would of been good to start in the summer

I’m in a similar boat Mikey. Passed in June and all has been quiet on the driving front until now.
I’ve been invited to an assessment with Culina next week. Fortunately, I have managed to catch a couple of shifts with agencies last week giving me pallet network experience and some RDC and store delivery for Tesco.

I’m nervous about the assessment, but also agree that working at YOUR time and not what you might think they want or expect you to drive.

I will say that it’s amazing how quickly it comes flooding back when approaching the cab.

Good luck to you Mikey

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

valleyboy7:
I’m in a similar boat Mikey. Passed in June and all has been quiet on the driving front until now.
I’ve been invited to an assessment with Culina next week. Fortunately, I have managed to catch a couple of shifts with agencies last week giving me pallet network experience and some RDC and store delivery for Tesco.

I’m nervous about the assessment, but also agree that working at YOUR time and not what you might think they want or expect you to drive.

I will say that it’s amazing how quickly it comes flooding back when approaching the cab.

Good luck to you Mikey

Is that Culina Avonmouth my old company ?

bald bloke:

valleyboy7:

Good luck to you Mikey

It is indeed…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bald bloke:

valleyboy7:

Good luck to you Mikey

Any info you could share about what to expect on assessment day and also what they are like to work for?

Any info greatly received

M

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stick to the things mentioned above, there’s no hooking up that’s taught on the induction days it’s basically a straight drive followed by 2 reverses when back in the yard a blind side and a good side you just need to show them you’re safe, any doubt when reversing get out and have a look if the assessor has to stop you because you’re about to hit something you’ve failed.

You’ll have the usual Highway Code and drivers hours questions so swat up on them if you’re unsure and usually the interview will be afterwards, Culina are pretty laid back about taking newbies on.

Good luck.

Culina are fastidious about looking after their fleet. Every chip, nick and scratch is accounted for. They’re red hot on safety, rules and sticking to speed limits. If you like doing the right thing then Culina would be a good company to be with.

valleyboy7:

Thanks mate hope all goes well for you as well. I didn’t want to go with a agency as I didn’t have the confidence to go straight on the job without a week or so been shown the ropes. Did you just get the keys and go or did someone show you from the agency? I’ve been trying a while to get a job but alls I have had is either there’s nothing as of yet or because I’ve got no experience.

Good luck to you Mikey