Assessment day for work- advice please

At last, I have an assessment day/drive for new work/job CAT C , just wondered what to expect -I was not really given much detail
It sounds like it could be for a day(not just an hour)
Will I be expected to know about loading,straps,pallet truck, etc as well as demonstrating perfect knowledge of operation of digi tacho ,drivers hours, etc?
sorry if this sounds daft but I really want this gig. With regard to expected driving standard- is it like test standard or is there an understanding you may be nervous etc any information from those who can remember their first assessment drive etc would be really helpful.Many thanks

From very limited experience, I would think your driving needs to be to a reasonably good standard, don’t be afraid of making mistakes, just make sure you resolve it safely, be honest, I told the trainer on an assessment drive that if he hadn’t been there to guide me into a space on a drop, I’d of parked across the road and wheeled it over. Try to relax and if you don’t know something, especially about the tacho machine, just ask, everyone has had to, the assessor will probably be used to the questions anyway.

Good luck, hope it goes well

many thanks damo for the post really helpful just worried nerves will effect me

The bloke I had on my first one was good, they shouldn’t make it feel like a test, have a bit of light hearted conversation to break the ice, mine was a whole day, and the assessor drove for the first half, so I could get my head around the paperwork and things without worrying about the driving, after our break I jumped behind the wheel, by that point I’d got over my nerves, relaxed and ready to go.

Just remember what you were taught and you’ll be fine!

The driving will not be “test standard” but they do expect you to treat the truck with respect so no over reving, wheel spins and general lunacy. As assessment drive is what its says on the tin, they are giving you a trial to see how you handle the job as the job is more than just driving. You’ve already got the driving part down.

Since you’re a new driver they would I imagine make allowances for you as such.

Just relax and drivers you did when with instructor…I passed my Cat C in 2011 and had an assessment for a C+E training scheme a month or so ago and hasn’t driven a lorry since 2011 and passed the assessment drive…I know was only for training but it was still an hour driving with no instruction on how to drive, only which direction to go… Just try to remain as relaxed as possible but still driving to a good standard.

I’ve done a few assessed drives and from my experience is make sure your not going fast into corners and show your looking ahead, reading the road and acting accordingly. The assessors have been drivers and in some cases still driving for the company. Take your time relax and enjoy.

I have one on Monday :slight_smile:.