Help ! Assesment for new job

Hi Everyone,

Just come off the phone to a nice gent who wants me to go in tomorrow to have a driving assessment for a job.
Have to say since passing my test on 31st of December, ive not been near a truck and to say ive got a squeaky bum is a bit of an understatement :blush: I`m wondering if anyone has and hints/tips on what to expect before,during and after the assessment?

Hi Toddy, most assessments usually involve a 20 minute drive around the locality then back to base then put it on a bay and maybe a few questions on drivers hours.
Just drive like you did when you took your test and don’t be too slow as they like to see some confidence and progress made and don’t sit there in silence be a bit chatty, that way they tend to miss some of the mistakes that you will inevitably make :blush:

Toddy,

Don’t expect a full test like the DSA give you, they are generally much more simple.
Expect a local route, probably about 30 minutes but most likely to be just an average drive, some places take you down awkward roads and things but nothing to the level of the actual driving test.

All they are looking for is a safe and SMOOTH drive. They won’t be ■■■■ about you checking your mirrors, what they are looking for is if you can get the stuff in the back there safely and undamaged.

As long as you don’t take corners stupidly, don’t brake or accelerate in excess o what is neededthen you should be fine.

I really wouldn’t worry about it, its not really the kind of think you’d “fail” on. Just give the assessor a good drive and they’ll be fine.

One thing to keep in mind, it MIGHT be loaded up, which, if you haven’t driven since your test, you might be yet to experience, so keep in mind that the 18 tonner you took your test in might now weigh 8 more tons than it did last time you pushed the brake pedal!

What kind of thing is it they haul?

Good luck!

Alex

Thanks for the replys. Its all class 1 stuff the company does…mainly containers and bulk powders…I think im nervous because when i done my training, both vehicles ( C & C+E ) were Scania 4 over 4 boxes whereas this company use MAN vehicles and i also dont know the locality very well. Im going to go shortly and find exactly where i`m going tomorrow and have a drive around the local area.

Scarab said it all - remember your training and when and where to look at your trailer pivot points, This is ‘real life’ not a DSA drive RELAX RELAX RELAX.

Good luck mate, you will be fine :smiley: :smiley:

Just wanted to say that i had my assessment earlier. Think i done ok … suppose i must have as they offered me a job :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: . Just need to hand my notice in to my current employers. Very very happy :smiley: :smiley:

nice one :smiley: