Driving Assessment and new job!

Hi Folks,
I had an interview for a local company a couple of weeks ago and all went fine :open_mouth: The interview lasted about 45 mins, it was just a case of filling in an application form a quick chat about how the company runs and how they are willing to take on new drivers with next to no experience …just like me:oops:
I was then invited back for a driving assessment and today was the day :confused: I arrived at 09.30 sharp and was met by my assessor. After a quick chat about checks, couple/uncouple it was time to hit the road. I was taken out to a new Volvo FH and climbed in, i was totaly shocked by the size of this thing and how high of the cab is of the ground. :open_mouth: After a quick brief about the gearbox and cab switches we moved of round the yard for some reversing onto the bays :blush: Anyway, i managed to get onto the bays with a couple of shunts and thought i’d blown it :cry: next was a quick drive out on the road all went fine. We returned to the yard and was told i’d passed :smiley:
Next job is to contact the company for a some training days, as i’ll only be driving part-time/ casual i should get away with only 2 0r 3 days and then i’ll be out on my own…so watch out!!! :wink:
Regards Smokinbarrels :smiley:

**WELL DONE ON GETTING FIXED UP** :D :smiley: :smiley: **WELL DONE ON GETTING FIXED UP**:D :smiley: :smiley: **WELL DONE ON GETTING FIXED UP** :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Was that you out with Mark at Boardall`s this morning â– â– ? :wink:

Hi Russjp,
…oh no somebody else has seen my dodgy driving! :blush: Yes mate that was me out and about with Mark this morning, he seems as nice fella and really put me at ease. :open_mouth:

I was walking past you as you swung out with the trailer towards the bridge and then back towards the office block - it was my last day today, ive landed a monday to friday job with a small company in darlington - lot closer to home but no complaints really about Boardalls - all i would say is keep an eye on your hours, I was 20 mins away from my 15 when i parked up yesterday and they were on the phone whining and asking what i`d been doing all day !! :open_mouth:

Evening Folks,
Here is a picture of the truck i did my assessment in today! :open_mouth:

Well done and good luck with RB Smokinbarrels :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: . I heard they have few polish drivers as well.

Kokosz

:grimacing: CONGRATULATIONS on the new job, smokinbarrels :smiley: :smiley:

Worked there for a short time cant really tell you much i only stayed about 2/3mnths. i guess if it was closer to me i may have stayed longer the moneys certainly better there than where i am now just trying to get time under my belt. You think the volvo’s cab is big wait till you get into the MAN’s + you need motion sickness tablets with all the wallowing round the cab does lol. They werent to bad but he’s right about the phone thing.One day i only managed to get to wetherby before they were on the phone asking where i was how i was doing gee’s. The man got the sensible answer of sitting in the cab holding the steering while getting distracted from driving by some numpty on the phone :laughing: . that went down well. lol hope it all goes well for ya.

Hi Folks,
Thanks for all the encouraging replys, all this truck driving stuff certainly is all new to me! :confused: I phoned them today asking about a training day that i need to book the answer was "see you at 8 in the morning…gulp :open_mouth: " After a quick check of my holiday i managed to get the day off…few! :astonished:
Not sure what to expect or what i will need to take with me? I guess i have to wait and see! :confused:
Once again thanks :wink: , Smokinbarrels :smiley:

take tourself that would be a good start lol erm your licence both bits their paperwork is a nightmare so a good sense of humour and it depends who your trainer is.

smokinbarrels:
Evening Folks,
Here is a picture of the truck i did my assessment in today! :open_mouth:

Oooh er :exclamation: :smiley: :exclamation:

That’s a big one. :exclamation: :smiley: :exclamation:

Best of luck with your new job. :slight_smile:

My boss is always on the 'phone asking where I am and asking me to double back on myself to attend to something she forgot, kind of washes off me now, I just trundle along and do my best. :slight_smile:

Evening Folks,
Well thats the first week over, :open_mouth:
Monday consisted of a day in the classroom, I was with 3 other guys who were all taken on as full-time drivers and i was the only part-time/ casual driver :confused: . We spent the day going through everything from drivers hours to company paperwork, we even did a test on the highway code and driver hours! This turned out to be a rite eye opener as i’ve never done anything like this before. :blush: I
On Tuesday i was sent out with my driver trainer and a 57 plate MAN with Double Deck trailer :open_mouth: …not bad for my first waggon! We first went down to Peterborough then across to Cromer and home. :confused:
Wednesday, was much the same, Leicester then across to Grimsby then home.
Thursday, Leicester then Hull and home.
Friday, DAY OFF!!! :wink:
This week has been a great insite into the world of truck drving, I’ve enjoyed every minute of it even all the shunts i take to get on the bays!! :blush:
One thing i can say…i’m bloody pleased i don’t do it full-time! :open_mouth:
Photobucket