Got a drivers assessment on monday ..

… … never had to do one before, and even with 31 years experience, and the fact I have worked for this firm in the past, I am a tad nervous (dont want to make a chump of myself, I suppose :smiley: )

What should I expect on a drivers assessment??
Any top tips??

Thanks in advance :smiley:

Best of luck.

Last assessment I did was almost a DSA test lol. Did the walk round check verbalising everything. Then went out on the road for about an hour. Through town and back up motorway.

I imagine if it’s CE you will have to show safe coupling / uncoupling and of course a reverse.

Can’t say it won’t be a blind side reverse but if it is then just take your time. Still get out and look if needed. You certainly ain’t gonna pass if you hit something :wink:.

Hope it helps.

A typical driver assessment would consist of a test paper consisting of mostly multiple-choice questions on drivers hours regulations, tachograph questions (possibly analogue and digital), highway code questions, possibly a few questions on the working time regulations.

A drive of around 30 to 45 minutes, if it’s a cat C+E assessment then you can expect to do a walk-around check then couple and uncouple a trailer and reverse into a bay or parking area.

I’ve done 4 or 5 driver assessments and my personal experience has been that assessors are generally friendly and have been looking to pass drivers rather than fail them, the assessments I’ve done have been relaxed and I’ve usually had a chat with the assessor during the drive, they’re looking for a safe relaxed drive that shows them that you’re a safe driver, and a drive that makes them feel safe in the passenger seat rather than something resembling an F1 time trial :smiley:

You may be told something that you disagree with regarding regulations/highway code or whatever, I generally will disagree but not make an issue of anything, as far as I’m concerned if the assessor insists that you need a 30 minute break before exceeding 6 hours working time or that a road is not a dual carriageway unless it has more than one lane in each direction (both things I’ve been told on assessments) it’s fine with me as long as I pass the assessment :smiley: :wink:

Have a good one and good luck with the job :wink:

Nah, drive it like you stole it and you’ll be fine!

what happens if you fail …do you lose your job??

i8uguys:
what happens if you fail …do you lose your job??

If you fail a driver assessment I would guess that you probably wouldn’t get the job you’re applying for.

Having a truck assessment is like having a guitar assessment!
You can tell if someone can play in the first 5 notes you hear!
Same with driving a truck, you can tell if someone can drive within the first 50 yards!

containers_only:
Having a truck assessment is like having a guitar assessment!
You can tell if someone can play in the first 5 notes you hear!
Same with driving a truck, you can tell if someone can drive within the first 50 yards!

I shall concentrate hard for 50 yards then :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Dont forget to test the horn,it is part of the daily walk around check,and windscreen fluid levels too.

Check the dog clip if hooking up the trailer,and move the unit back and forth to check the jaws have grabbed it,check the road tax and O Licence in the window too.

Speaking from experience … make the best first impression by looking over the shoulder and behind the cab before and as you actually move off, that usually shortens your drive by 50%.
Every real driving examiner looks for that at the start.
Just drive as best you can and don’t worry.

Good luck.

Drive safe, use your mirrors before you pull away and as you did on your test, leave room between you and the bloke in front and drive with economy in mind. Dont answer your phone (switch it off or dont bring it), dont talk about how can drink 25 pints and still be safe in the morning and be sensible.

Try and relax,a light meal the night before,no caffeine,a herbal tea like Camomile is good for nerves or those Kalms with Valerian in,like lettuce juice to help you sleep.
If hooking up to the trailer,best to get out of the cab to see how the unit is,then raise or lower it with the cab controls,you do not want to overshoot the king pin,and hit the trailer.
On a modern unit,scroll the oil check instrument on the steering wheel,i would not worry about battery charge or brake alignment on the instruments.

All good tips and advice guys, many thanks :smiley:

(p.s. Grumpygraeme … I have a strict personal 20 pint cutoff if I am driving next day, haha :smiley: )

Make sure you pull away in first gear :exclamation: even if you can see you’re in first, make a point of checking the range change :exclamation:

containers_only:
Make sure you pull away in first gear :exclamation: even if you can see you’re in first, make a point of checking the range change :exclamation:

In an empty vehicle? :confused:

Assessment where i work isn’t a box ticking exercise, trainer wants to see that you can handle a vehicle.

At large logistics sites where i’ve had them its all bullshine, more attention is paid to ticking boxes and not missing a single point in the comprehensive walk round, so long as you drive to test standard of slow as hell you’re fine.

My old mate who’s been driving, competently, since 1968 failed his assessment at Argos on missing some silly little things out on the walk round, amazingly he’s managed the last 20 years to throw a car transporter round without any trouble, and is now back on them again, blokes…Argos missed a proper lorry driver there for a missed tick, blokes like him don’t walk in every day, clever buggers.

Im doing myin assessment tomorrow at 10am for sainburys going through DFDS logistics way though.

First time doing one brickin it that i will fail it.
Have done loads of class 2 driving though have not done class 1 driving very much .

Its shunting assessment in sainburys yard and questions to answer i was told today.
Good few in past has failed this also i was told by person who is in charge of it.

Some companies love making themselfs feel big and important by doing driving assessments, normally carried out by some prick that cant actually do the job.

best bet is to bring some sweets
and give one to the assessor as often as you can
talk to him about football , ■■■ or what was on the telly last night
avoiding any conversations about driving