First Drive

Hey I’m having my assessment drive this afternoon. Nervous now.
I know this has probably been posted loads but I’m on my phone and its a PITA so anyone got any tips for me?

Just take your time and be aware of your surroundings. Remember that going round corners/roundabouts etc you need to be slow and swing out wider so as to not clip sign posts etc. Also it’s only an assessment so the instructor will expect mistakes, however take on board what he/she is telling you and you’ll be just fine.

Good luck and make sure you let us know how it went. :slight_smile:

Wrams:
Just take your time and be aware of your surroundings. Remember that going round corners/roundabouts etc you need to be slow and swing out wider so as to not clip sign posts etc. Also it’s only an assessment so the instructor will expect mistakes, however take on board what he/she is telling you and you’ll be just fine.

Good luck and make sure you let us know how it went. :slight_smile:

Cool, thanks for the advice. Yeah I’ve been driving my car round all day, pretending its bigger than it is lol.
I can’t wait to get behind the wheel but I’m nervous as well!

Do learner lorries have dual controls or is that just cars?

The instructor should assist you greatly and then only let you ‘be on your own’ in areas safe for you to do so

Alan16ac:
Do learner lorries have dual controls or is that just cars?

No they don’t. Your on your own :open_mouth:

As ROG said they will drive to where they feel your in a safe environment and tell you what they are doing, you need to pay very close attention. Once they have told you everything you need to know they will let you take over. When I went on my assessment the instructor drove for about 15/20 minutes before allowing me to take over. I messed up on the gears a couple of times but soon got the hang of it. Just relax and you’ll be fine. :wink:

It’s in an industrial estate with quite open roads which leads on to a dial carriage way limited to 50.
Just waiting for someone to finish his test in the lorry then I’m up. Eek!

Done! Wasn’t so bad to be honest. Drove round the industrial estate and then onto the dual carriage way. But turn right onto it so I had to sit in the central reservation which he assured me the lorry would fit in.
The weird thing was getting used to the gears, going round a roundabout in 5th at about 10MPH! Weird!

Glad it all went well. 5th gear in a lorry is like 2nd/3rd gear in a car IMO. So did you book your first lessons or are you going to shop around more…?

Wrams:
Glad it all went well. 5th gear in a lorry is like 2nd/3rd gear in a car IMO. So did you book your first lessons or are you going to shop around more…?

Nah I’m going to go with them. The tests are taken at their centre they have newer lorries. Staff are polite. Instructor was nice and calm so I’m going to go with them. Got my theory, CPC and hazard booked for the 12th!

Alan16ac:

Wrams:

Nah I’m going to go with them. The tests are taken at their centre they have newer lorries. Staff are polite. Instructor was nice and calm so I’m going to go with them. Got my theory, CPC and hazard booked for the 12th!

If you happy and the price is right then go for it. Always go with a trainer that you feel comfortable with, I did and I flew through my HGV.

Good stuff mate :slight_smile: looking forward to a training diary :slight_smile:

Ill keep track of everything on here.
Want be able to learn until January as cant have any time off in December :frowning: