Help needed please

Have to drive to Dundee tomorrow, don’t know how long the journey will take
(from M1 J28)

Could anyone reccomend a truckstop somewhere near Dundee, or if i have
some hours left, any truckstops, say an hour or two south.

Cheers.

P.S is it right you can reduce daily rest to 8 hours on a night out?

Thanks.

You can only take a reduced rest of 8 hours if somewhere during the working day, you have had at least 4 hours rest already. This 4 hours has to be made up of segments at least one hour long as well, so I believe. Not 8 half hour breaks.
As I recall, (I haven’t been to Scotland in a while) there is a truckstop on one of the Industrials in Dundee which is well signposted.

thanks mate much appreciated

Dont stop there you will never sleep, Just before you get to Dundee there is a cafe on the left the entrance is just after it i have never stopped there but some of our drivers have and it is ok.

I think the café you mean is at Inchture, although it should be easy to find.
Its called “The Horseshoe” I think. You’ll see it on your left as you get near to Dundee on the way up. On the way south, you’ll pass it before you get to the junction you need to take for it.

I’ve put a link here which is where I think it is. On the B953 to the north of the A90, just before it bends north.
Not sure about opening times though, it isn’t a 24 hour place, as far as I remember.

thanks for the help chaps.

sidan.
I have not done scotch or anywere for 6 yrs due to retirement but if your going to be short on time there is a cafe called the silver link at the southern approach to the kinkardine bridge on the left side of the road.This will leave you aprox.an hour and half short of dundee.

Hope this helps dave.

TheBear:
You can only take a reduced rest of 8 hours if somewhere during the working day, you have had at least 4 hours rest already. This 4 hours has to be made up of segments at least one hour long as well, so I believe. Not 8 half hour breaks.

Almost right. The 4 hours during the day can only be in a maximum of 2 chunks, each of which must be at least an hour - so 2+2 or 1.5 plus 2.5…If you get the four hours in like that you can increase your spreadover to 16 hours with 8 hours off at night. You can also do this to get extra 14s and 15s out of the week - so long as the “on duty” hours add up to a maximum of 12 and the “rest” hours a minimum of 12. This is useful as it means you can get an extra 15 hour spread if you sit for 3 during the day and have 9 at night…or 14 hours if you sit for two and have 10 at night…etc etc etc.

In practice, it means that this week I haven’t had a “full” eleven hour break, nor have I “worked” for less than 13.5 hours on any day. Hence stretching my hours to the max, and enabling me to use my entire quota of driving time for the week (45 hours - go over that and I’d be stuffed on the fortnightly rule). I’m paid mileage, so whilst it may be tiring, it pays. :wink:

You may well be utterly confused now…don’t worry, I’m sure Coffeeholic will be along soon. :stuck_out_tongue: :blush:

dafdave:
sidan.
I have not done scotch or anywere for 6 yrs due to retirement but if your going to be short on time there is a cafe called the silver link at the southern approach to the kinkardine bridge on the left side of the road.This will leave you aprox.an hour and half short of dundee.

Hope this helps dave.

It’s now closed, shut a few years ago. There is still parking there and a BP garage next to it. But as they have now started building the new Kincardine Bridge there may be temp road/bridge closures while they move plant/cranes into postion. Definatley some planned this weekend.

dafdave:
sidan.

Hope this helps dave.

No longer dafdave. The Silver Link closed a few years ago. Also, going to Dundee via the Kinkardine Bridge would be the long way round.

The best route would be, either up the A90/M90 from the Forth Road Bridge or up the A9 to Perth then onto the A90 to Dundee.

Thanks for the info gents,just shows how out of touch you get when your off the road.

regards dave

made it back to Kinross services M90 for overnight stop.
nice run through Northumbria, Borders etc. But spoilt a bit by planner keep
ringing up every so often saying "where are you, “how far away are you?”
They’re expecting the load around lunchtime etc.

Thanks again for the info chaps.

P.S. Went over the forth bridge and M90, 8 hours each way.

Tip …Sidan stop answering the phone :laughing:

:laughing: Must admit i,ve shouted,“HANDS FREE NOT WORKING MATE”
“I’LL RING YOU BACK WHEN I CAN STOP” before, is this the norm nowadays?
kinda spoils what drivings all about a bit for me.

Twice in my driving career I’ve had to tell people to stop bugging me on the phone it doesn’t get it there any quicker! I did jack one job in and the boss did actually ask me why so I told him! YOU’VE been driving me crackers ringing up all the time! He took it on board and agreed it wasn’t necessary which was good cos he wasn’t the worst boss I’ve had. :wink: