drivers hours

hi guys,hope this doesnt sound like a stupid question but here goes anyway.

if i leave scotland at 7pm going to leeds and it takes me 4hr 50 to get there obvoiusly i need a 45 after 4hr 30 driving so that would get me into leeds at 1am ish.

now if my return load back to scotland is not ready i will have to sleep in cab till the morning . my question is after only 4hr 50 of driving do i need to have my full 9 hours off bearing in mind it will take me 4hr 50 of driving to get home on the saturday again ■■

cheers for any help you can give me

you are required by law to take your rest period in the 24hr day , this starts running when you put the TACHO-DISC in the apparrat so if
you have began at 1900hr s and drive 4hr30mins you need to take a break
after 45mins you then finish your journey, when arriveing at the loading
place you can then put your vehicle direct on the loading dock and do not
have any thing else to do with the loading,and are allowed to dowhat you want,and that is go to sleep,(then put tacho on rest); IF AS YOU SAY the
loading takes 9hrs this is a complete rest period if how ever it is shorter
then it is not reconised as a rest period,by law .
How long do they take to load as you will need 5hr35min +ca 15min (MURPHYS LAW FACTOR) THIS MEANS TO RUN LEGAL you need to be
loaded inside 3hr to stay legal and be back home and finished
before 1100hrs.

start 1900hrs drive 4.5 hrs break0.45mins drive0.20mins
arrive loading place and start rest break at 0100hrs
loading time------------
departure time needed to stay legal 0400hrs
this leaves 6hrs for the return journey which has 35 mins as spare
for the MURPHY FACTOR if any problems crop up
i belive this is correct but ifwrong some one out there will say so and put
there two pences worth towards helping you out.

Hi Milkman,
The important part of all this is getting your daily rest (9 hrs if reduced, 11 hrs if not) in the 24 hour period commencing when you started work at 19:00 on Friday.
Assuming you can have a reduced rest then the latest time on Saturday that you must cease all duty/driving and commence your daily rest is 10:00 hrs (for those that want to do the maths 19:00 - 9:00 = 10:00, well, on my claculator it does!). If you think you can get back to Scotland before 10:00 then there should be no problem. If you think you cannot finish by 10:00 Saturday then stop down South for the full rest period.
I assume that you have not worked on more than six consecutive days.
There is another way around this, have you thought of a ‘split shift?’ If you are kept waiting for the reload and can genuinely count your time as ‘rest’ then it is possible to break your daily rest up into a number of segments;
each segment must be at least one hour long
there can be no more than three rest periods
the period at the end of the day must be at least 8 hours long
the total period of daily rest must be increased to 12 hours
Under this regime the daily rest period is not counted as ‘reduced’ and the latest you would then have to start you final section of daily rest would be 11:00 hrs Saturday. I’ve put a couple of examples below as to how you could do this;

1 + 3 + 8 = 12
2 + 2 + 8 = 12
2:30 + 1:30 + 8 = 12
2:30 + 1 + 8:30 = 12
3:30 + 8:30 = 12
Hopefully I’ve explained this with some form of logic. If not PM me and I’ll try again!!

i reckon you need to take into account the start time that is expected when you have completed the journey so…assuming you can do it legally
start 1900 you need to be off the clock by 1000hrs the following day so as to start again at 1900 hrs…doing this twice will use up your 2 hours drive time as well as 2 reduced breaks

or start 1900 finish 0100 hrs have 9 hr break then up to Scotland then tip reload back to Leeds another 9 off then back to Scotland muck about in yard go home

it all depends on whats coming next…sometimes you have to use "back timing " to work out when you can start