Hello (again) and help wanted

I say hello (again), because I briefly posted as shunter - decided that wasn’t appropriate since I’m not one :blush: , so I’ve changed it - confused yet?!

Anyway, last time I posted, I was still in the thinking about things stage of training. I’ve now gone as far as doing the medical, doing an assessment drive, and booking the theory test (Wednesday).

The assessment went OK - all of the marks I got were either ‘average’ or ‘fair’, none actually ‘poor’, but none actually ‘good’ either. It seems that driving white vans and 7.5 tonners gives you some bad habits - go figure :open_mouth:

I’m due to book my lessons and test for Cat C. soon (about 6 days, to be sure, he reckoned), and hope to be going straight on to C+E as soon as poss., but I have one final question.

What’s a ballpark figure for a weekly C+E wage with a decent agency? - I’m willing to work weekends, nights out, and as long and as hard as needed. I also hope to get my ADR & HIAB along the way. I know figures will vary, but all I’m after is a rough idea. I’ve done my own figures based on hourly rates, but it would be handy to hear from people who actually do it.

Thanks for any help you might be able to give,

I can’t answer the wages question but good luck with the theory test and training :slight_smile:

Welcome to TruckNet UK Spitfire :smiley: .
Good luck with the theory test and
training

Welcome back Spitfire!
As you must know contracts differ, so do area’s and the time of year regarding earning potential and the more you are known and the quality of your work will also effect your earning capabilities. If you are looking for this industry as a ticket to making money then I’m afraid you will be dissapointed and I’m afraid that just having a ticket doesn’t bring the empoyers to you’re door. The opportunities are there and you will find that the training and the gaining of experience tends to overtake the concerns with earning potential. Good Luck with your training and I am sure others will be along that are more familiar with you’re area. :wink:

I am with two agencies up in the Midlands - both of which pay £7 per hour for “C” work, then £8 - £9 for “C+E”. Hiab (and other unloading kit) will add on another £1. Not sure about nights out since I don’t do them… … …

I have seen rates advertised in various places that go from about £6-£11 around the Midlands, since I am new I am waiting to get more experience, then my C+E before I try and get a bit further up the earnings ladder. At the moment I am enjoying the agency experience, just with the variety of work - although I can see a time coming when I would prefer to be at the same place for a while (averaging working at 2-3 companies a week at the moment)…

Thanks for the responses

Ladytrucker679:
…the more you are known and the quality of your work will also affect your earning capabilities. If you are looking for this industry as a ticket to making money then I’m afraid you will be disappointed

I’m certainly not looking at the industry as a goldmine, but at the moment the (basically unskilled) work I do in between other jobs, pays somewhere between £5 and £6.50 an hour. Even if I work my thingies off, it’s hard to make a decent living wage on that.

As has been highlighted on other areas of Trucknet, you have to start at the bottom and work up, and despite being no spring chicken (not 40 yet, but not far off), I have no problem doing that if I know I’ve got a skill that I can develop and use.

Gazzareth:
At the moment I am enjoying the agency experience, just with the variety of work

That’s what I want to do - get a chance to drive a variety of vehicles to a variety of places with a variety of loads. I know that my mind may change, but at the minute, agency work is my goal - I know that may upset some regular posters, but I think there’s a place in the workforce for agency workers who take pride in doing a good job.

Just to round off, passed the theory test today, and booked my Class 2 lessons and test for the start of September. Can’t wait & I’ll keep you posted.

PS Thanks mrpj & convoy for your best wishes, & convoy, I wish you all good luck on the 12th - you deserve it.

Spitfire:
Just to round off, passed the theory test today, and booked my Class 2 lessons and test for the start of September. Can’t wait & I’ll keep you posted.

PS Thanks mrpj & convoy for your best wishes, & convoy, I wish you all good luck on the 12th - you deserve it.

Congratulations on the theory test pass
David and Good luck with the rest of your
training ect. And thanks for your best
wishes :smiley:

I know that may upset some regular posters, but I think there’s a place in the workforce for agency workers who take pride in doing a good job.

You will probably be surprised by the response of the clients - I have heard so many horror stories from them about other agency drivers. They are always very impressed if you do the work without taking the mick timewise.

Good for early experience, although it is sometimes good to go back to a place where there are familiar faces !!

Well done with the theory test :smiley:

If you’ve no exp on the bendies and you’ve only just passed too then your main hurdle to overcome will be finding an agency that’s willing to give you a blast.

In your neck of the woods you should expect £10/hr on agency for bendies up to 8hrs, time 1.5 after that. Nights should pay £11-12/hr and time 1.5 after 8hrs. Saturdays are usually time 1.5 week day rate (ie. £15/hr) and Sunday’s should be double time.

That’s what I’b be aiming for anyway and a quick look at the Jobcentre website in the Kent area backs up my £10/hr theory.

I say hello (again), because I briefly posted as shunter - decided that wasn’t appropriate since I’m not one , so I’ve changed it - confused yet?!

So have you decided you are a Spitfire :stuck_out_tongue:

Achtung…

Thanks Rob K for info - just the kind of stuff I needed

Gazzareth:
You will probably be surprised by the response of the clients - I have heard so many horror stories from them about other agency drivers. They are always very impressed if you do the work without taking the mick timewise.

Couldn’t agree more - I’ve done quite a bit of van and 7.5t work for agencies, and clients alwaysseem surprised when you’re not a complete muppet :smiley:

I had one place having to find me some extra work to do because I’d managed to do half a dozen drops in the Whitstable area in a morning - they weren’t expecting me back 'til the end of the day :open_mouth:

Gazzareth:
Good for early experience, although it is sometimes good to go back to a place where there are familiar faces !!

I’ve also found that if you do a good job for them, it’s not uncommon to be offered a full time job, especially if it’s a large operation, and you’ve been with them a few times or for a while. One place even offered to sack the guy I was covering and give me his job :laughing: :laughing:

Anyway, I’ve taken this one off my own thread, so I’m going to wrap it up - thanks again for all the responses & I’ll let you know how the training goes in September