New Driver!!

Hello all!

Firstly I just want to say that I’m very pleased having found this forum, everybody seems very friendly and helpful and there is A LOT of useful information on here! :smiley:

Basically I am looking at doing my class 2 then going straight for my class 1 with the aim of finding class one work. I’ve always enjoyed driving and much liked the idea of truck driving (My Dad has been a lorry driver for 30+ years and I enjoyed going out with him to work when I was younger), but I was just looking for some advice.

I have spoken to my Dad who thinks I should go for it, that I shouldn’t struggle to get work as he’s never struggled for work in the industry and that he thinks i’ll enjoy it etc etc.

I thought it best to check with the community too!

What I want to know is (I know nobody can say definitively) what would be the likelihood of me finding work (agency or full time) quite quickly after passing? I live in Peterborough and I will be 24 before I pass my C+E which will hopefully be around August/September time.

Would anbody care to guess what wages I should expect to earn too? I’ve seen agency jobs for anywhere between £10 p/h to around £15 in my area and full time jobs ranging from £25k a year to £30k+. Would I have a realistic chance of securing this work?

Any and all help for a new driver would be much appreciated, and I thank you in advance! :slight_smile:

Hi Chad, as u can see from my user name I am also from Peterborough, I am currently on the same journey as you are thinking of getting on (although I’m an old ■■■■ at 38 compared to you!!!) if you need any help or advice with anything from me a message.

Matt

Hi Matt!

Thanks for taking the time out!

My name is Scott by the way but I can only blame myself lol :laughing:

I did see one of your posts before actually!

Thanks for the shout though :smiley:

Have you started the process or you’re still looking at options?

Scott

I’m on test for Class 2 tomorrow then onto 1 as soon as, need to fit the cpc and a fork lift course in there as well :smiley:

Ahhhh nice… GOOD LUCK :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Who have you booked your courses with… Apex?

Hope you don’t mind pal, but I’ll link in your duplicate post from the main forum. (So the other Newbies in this forum see it…)
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=146039

And work isn’t hard to find pal, although that and wages do vary by region.
Plus as a Newbie you have to start off with that you’re offered and build your experience…

No, not at all!

I posted it in the newbie forum originally but I put it on the main forum too just to get more views/advice really!

I hope it isn’t, I’m eager to work and prove myself so I hope I can! I hope too that living in Peterborough will be a good thing in terms of finding work… but time will tell!

Thanks for your help! :slight_smile:

ChadHogan:
No, not at all!

I posted it in the newbie forum originally but I put it on the main forum too just to get more views/advice really!

I hope it isn’t, I’m eager to work and prove myself so I hope I can! I hope too that living in Peterborough will be a good thing in terms of finding work… but time will tell!

Thanks for your help! :slight_smile:

Yeah you are coming across as keen, which is a good thing…
But it may make you a target for some to take a cheap shot at you on here! :laughing: :wink:

Personally I welcome a positive, keen, open and honest attitude, as it’s exactly what employers want. Sadly though they don’t like my sarcasm much! :laughing: So I’m sure you’ll get a start, as you know the score from your father, and are asking the right questions…

I’m not in your area, so can’t really comment about that. But I’ve never struggled from starting in finding work, finding good local work though, now that’s a different story, and I myself am still searching. I’ll lose my limp if I find a decent form… What’s important with agency work though is your reputation, and having a good one means that if needed, you can always take a step backwards. Whether you need it or not, knowing you only have to make one call to be limping at an old acceptable haunt the next day, is a good insurance policy. :wink:

Best of luck pal! :smiley:

Give me a few years in the job and lets hope I’ve still got the same enthusiasm haha.

And thanks for the heads up… Maybe my thick skin will come into use :laughing:
I do hope so… would be a ■■■■ to go through everything only to struggle for a while to find class 1 work… but i’m hopeful i’ll get a chance!

Sarcasm is my middle name :laughing:

Ahhh yeah I appreciate that… but still your input does help! :slight_smile: I’ll have a more in depth talk with my dad and hopefully he can give me some useful information/contact numbers etc for work.

I get you… I can imagine there being some rather ■■■■ class 1 jobs that agencies try and palm off… but a start is a start I guess! :confused:

I’ve seen this a few times on different threads…and sorry if its a stupid question, but what is limp/limping? My missus told me but I don’t think we were talking about the same thing!

ChadHogan:

Thanks, yes I went with Apex for various reasons, my instructor has been great and I have learnt a hell of a lot in the last 4 days, dare I say more than I thought I would. It can be a lot to take in sometimes but I have got 21 years of bad car driving habits behind me (I honestly didn’t think I had any bad habits :blush: ) I am also noticing my car driving skills have improved as well.

ChadHogan:
I’ve seen this a few times on different threads…and sorry if its a stupid question, but what is limp/limping? My missus told me but I don’t think we were talking about the same thing!

It’s slang for agency employee…
Just banter really, but it does appear to offend the odd flower. :laughing:

peterboroughmatt:

ChadHogan:

Thanks, yes I went with Apex for various reasons, my instructor has been great and I have learnt a hell of a lot in the last 4 days, dare I say more than I thought I would. It can be a lot to take in sometimes but I have got 21 years of bad car driving habits behind me (I honestly didn’t think I had any bad habits :blush: ) I am also noticing my car driving skills have improved as well.

No worries

Yeah I think I’m gonna go with them too… I was looking at booking through hgvtraining.co.uk but as I now know they’re a broker and are charging me at LEAST £1000 for doing not very much… I scrapped that idea! Plus Apex seem a good company and I haven’t heard of any bad experiences!

I’m sure I have plenty of bad habits by now… Not including the ones I hadn’t even considered that I’m sure are there! I’ll just have to remember the little things; 2 hands on the wheel, don’t let your arms cross, no ■■■■■■■■■■■■ etc etc. :laughing:

As I’ve only got my car licence and haven’t (yet) got my provisional or done a medical etc… Would you think that £3000-3500 for everything is in the ball park?

I appreciate you haven’t yet done your C+E so you mightn’t know exactly… But even a guesstimate would help! :slight_smile:

Thanks in advance! :smiley:

You should get change out of 3.5k as long as you don’t fail any .
Good luck

Lloydie:
You should get change out of 3.5k as long as you don’t fail any .
Good luck

Thanks mate :slight_smile:

Evil8Beezle:

ChadHogan:

It’s slang for agency employee…
Just banter really, but it does appear to offend the odd flower. :laughing:

Ahah thanks mate :smiley:

You can cross your arms mate, you just have to be in full control of the wheel at all times, so no slipping it through your hands or wheeling it with your palm, even when maneuvering. :wink:

And I’d say 3k all in…

I’m £1363.45 into it at the moment heading into test day, not that I’m counting or anything :laughing:

Evil8Beezle:
You can cross your arms mate, you just have to be in full control of the wheel at all times, so no slipping it through your hands or wheeling it with your palm, even when maneuvering. :wink:

And I’d say 3k all in…

Ahhhhhh thats good… I thought it’d be similar (in that sense) to passing your car test!

Nice… that’s alright! Can’t believe I was going to pay £4597!! He didn’t even take me out to dinner before he tried to mount me :smiley:

Had I have known it was a broker initially I wouldn’t have entertained the idea, but glad (one word to use) I looked into it more before booking with a broker :blush:

peterboroughmatt:
I’m £1363.45 into it at the moment heading into test day, not that I’m counting or anything :laughing:

Not much haha! I’m going into Apex tomorrow morning before work so hopefully they can give me some helpful info and can get the ball rolling a bit… I’m a BIT impatient… just wanna get cracking!!!

ChadHogan:

peterboroughmatt:

Not much haha! I’m going into Apex tomorrow morning before work so hopefully they can give me some helpful info and can get the ball rolling a bit… I’m a BIT impatient… just wanna get cracking!!!

Get your medical form and medical done, get practicing your hazard and theory whilst your license is away at Swansea, the day the license is back go online and book your tests yourself (you can go through a training provider but they will charge a fee for doing it) the theory centre in Peterborough is at Stuart House behind the passport office, Apex wouldn’t let me book the actual practical lessons until that was all done and passed. Go down and speak to them and get some of their booklets which guides you through it.

Good luck