Have you applied for an O-Licence recently?

If so, how long did it take to come through?

Mine arrived at VOSA in Leeds on Monday morning of this week, and they definitely got it as I got the originals of several of the documents back in the post this morning. I ticked the box to get an interim licence. Just wondering how soon I should expect something to happen.

I’m collecting the trailer next w/e, the unit the w/e after and if all goes to plan I’ll be on the road on the 10th of May, but obviously if there’s no sign of the interim licence by then there might be a delay…

Paul

My application for new std national licence was confirmed as received 23 Feb I also requested interim, I have made a few phone calls to make sure that they had all they needed from me. I got the impression that they are very much under pressure and found them very reluctant to commit to wether interim authorisation was possible or not (to late now). I registered for operator self service and this shows a target completion date of th 27 April, so don’t hold your breath.

I don’t like the sound of that… Hopefully mine will come quicker. I’ve registered for the self service just waiting for my password to come.

Paul

I was under the impression that an interim was a tool to use once the application had been considered, not an initial application. It appears that you have to write to the TC and explain why you need an urgent licence, even with self service.

The guidelines here from a consulting broker seem to bear this out.

License applications go through a tough assessment procedure which is strict and painfully slow, Interim Authorisation and full grant can take some three to four months to completion. It is illegal to operate your vehicle(s) until granted.

We strongly advise you not to enter into any lease / hire agreements or purchase vehicles or trailers until you have obtained your O/L and definitely not use a vehicle during that period. It is illegal for a supplier /lease /hire /finance company to allow you to take possession until they have seen proof that the License has been granted. If a vehicle is not displaying the correct disc, VOSA have wide ranging powers to confiscate and dispose of it. Any finance owed to the lender under contract remains payable, in other words you could finish up paying a five year finance package and have no vehicle to fund it. Any Insurance you have may also be invalid as you would not be an Operator, so don’t put the cart before the horse it could cost you your Business.

Even on the old system the TAN advised delays of 11 to 12 weeks.

It seems as though this is not a new business plan as you asked advice many times over the last 12 months

I think you’re hoping a bit if you even going to get an interim licence that quick.

When we increased the margin on ours it look 3 month to get the full licence and I think we asked for an interim licence after about 6 weeks and we didn’t have any problems with the application.
One of the race teams near us forgot to get a continuation and had to go through the whole process again, They started the process in January and because somebody opposed thier application they still haven’t got the licence or an interim licence.

Wheel Nut:
I was under the impression that an interim was a tool to use once the application had been considered, not an initial application. It appears that you have to write to the TC and explain why you need an urgent licence, even with self service.

There’s a box on the GV79 form to tick if you want to be considered for an interim licence, which I have ticked. I’m sure I read somewhere that it normally takes 10-13 weeks for a full licence but that you can usually get an interim (if they decide to offer you one which isn’t guaranteed) in around 4 weeks.

Wheel Nut:
It seems as though this is not a new business plan as you asked advice many times over the last 12 months

It’s not, although the decision to definitely go for it has only happened relatively recently. Then various delays in getting the bits of paper I needed to apply meant it went in a good few weeks later than I had originally intended. It’s not the end of the world if it doesn’t come through in time for the proposed 10th May start, I shouldn’t have too much trouble keeping myself busy driving for other people until it does arrive although I would of course prefer to be out in my own wagon rather than leave it parked up.

Paul

This page claims it only takes 9 weeks for the whole process which from what has been said on here seems like a bit of a fib…

Paul

Wheel Nut:

The guidelines here from a consulting broker seem to bear this out.

License applications go through a tough assessment procedure which is strict and painfully slow, Interim Authorisation and full grant can take some three to four months to completion. It is illegal to operate your vehicle(s) until granted.

We strongly advise you not to enter into any lease / hire agreements or purchase vehicles or trailers until you have obtained your O/L and definitely not use a vehicle during that period. It is illegal for a supplier /lease /hire /finance company to allow you to take possession until they have seen proof that the License has been granted. If a vehicle is not displaying the correct disc, VOSA have wide ranging powers to confiscate and dispose of it. Any finance owed to the lender under contract remains payable, in other words you could finish up paying a five year finance package and have no vehicle to fund it. Any Insurance you have may also be invalid as you would not be an Operator, so don’t put the cart before the horse it could cost you your Business.

Even on the old system the TAN advised delays of 11 to 12 weeks.

this was what i was thinking :unamused:

all the questions about which unit, i assumed the Paul had already got his O Licence and had had it for some time and was just thinking of changing units :blush: :blush: :blush:

a full licence usually arrives within 8 to 10 weeks, i was advised not to bother with an interim as the full licence would only be a couple of weeks later than the interim

shuttlespanker:
a full licence usually arrives within 8 to 10 weeks, i was advised not to bother with an interim as the full licence would only be a couple of weeks later than the interim

Even if it’s only a couple of weeks it’ll be worth the 60quid as the unit and trailer will be sat there ready to go and the work is there too.

Time will tell…

Paul

shuttlespanker:
all the questions about which unit, i assumed the Paul had already got his O Licence and had had it for some time and was just thinking of changing units :blush: :blush: :blush:

I’ve been thinking about it for several years but finally decided to actually dive in and have a go this year. I’ve bought a 52 plate 6x2 Premium and a 2002 65yard Fruehauf triaxle tipper and work is sorted from 10th May (or whenever I get on the road if it is after then) until sometime in September (i.e. when harvest finishes). After that nothing is set in stone yet but I have a few leads which hopefully will come to fruition when the time comes.

Paul

repton:

shuttlespanker:

I’ve been thinking about it for several years but finally decided to actually dive in and have a go this year. I’ve bought a 52 plate 6x2 Premium and a 2002 65yard Fruehauf triaxle tipper and work is sorted from 10th May (or whenever I get on the road if it is after then) until sometime in September (i.e. when harvest finishes). After that nothing is set in stone yet but I have a few leads which hopefully will come to fruition when the time comes.

Paul

Well I am looking forward to a diary from day one, it will be an interesting project and I for one wish you luck with the owner op status.

We expect a warts and all daily blog, minus the haulage rates and customer telephone numbers obviously.

Good Luck Paul and the Boss of course :stuck_out_tongue:

Wheel Nut:
Well I am looking forward to a diary from day one, it will be an interesting project and I for one wish you luck with the owner op status.

I’ve never been much of a diary writer but I’ll see what I can do.

Thanks for the good wishes, I know I’ll need all the luck I can get to make it work in the current climate but hopefully I’ve done the sums right and the kit I’ve bought will turn out to be at least half decent. I’m looking forward to getting it on the weighbridge for the first time to see what my payload comes in at. I’m hoping for 30t in an ideal world but in practice as long as it’s the right side of 29.5t I’ll be happy enough. I might not quite hit the magic 30 as the trailer I bought is slightly bigger than I had first considered and the unit hasn’t (yet) got alloys on it. That said the trailer does have alloys and the Premium is a very light unit so you never know…

Paul

for the alloys, keep an eye out on ebay if you are not too bothered what they look like, some are not as good as others, but if you want them for practicallity, not costetics, then it doesn’t really matter

shuttlespanker:
for the alloys, keep an eye out on ebay if you are not too bothered what they look like

Not even slightly bothered what they look like (as long as they’re not covered in big dings), they certainly won’t be getting polished up, it’s purely a weight thing. If I can get a set and have them fitted for under a grand then they should pay for themselves in under a year.

I’ve seen a few sets on eBay but they’ve mostly been sets of 6 recently which is a start but obviously on a 6x2 I would really do with 8. Also I’m not sure how much effort changing the studs to longer ones is as all the ones I’ve seen for sale recently have been the standard 26mm hole and not the larger one to use with retrofit nuts.

Paul

if you get the standard fit ones at 26mm, all you need to do is take them to an engineering place and have the holes machined out to 32mm.

i have had some done myself for a previous truck.

then you would obviously need theretro fit wheel nuts

i thought the Renault had the standard fit alloys on them?

shuttlespanker:
i thought the Renault had the standard fit alloys on them?

Do you mean that the studs are already long enough as standard for 26mm wheels with standard nuts? If so I’m not sure, I’ll check when I get it.

Paul

yes, that is what i mean :wink:

it may mean having to get longer wheel studs, if you see someone out and about with a premium with alloys on, ask them :wink:

if they are not sure, take a look at the wheel nuts, the retro fit nuts have 3 ‘o’ 's on the collar as in ‘ooo’

this signifies that they are retro fit nuts

Good luck with you new venture and you’ll not go wrong with the Premium for that all important payload on the bulkers. :wink:
If she’s a 420DCI you’ll find giving her a little “JIG” up to around the 475/485hp mark will make all the difference@ 44T and will help with the fuel abit too :exclamation: :sunglasses:

repton:

shuttlespanker:
for the alloys, keep an eye out on ebay if you are not too bothered what they look like

Not even slightly bothered what they look like (as long as they’re not covered in big dings), they certainly won’t be getting polished up, it’s purely a weight thing. If I can get a set and have them fitted for under a grand then they should pay for themselves in under a year.

I’ve seen a few sets on eBay but they’ve mostly been sets of 6 recently which is a start but obviously on a 6x2 I would really do with 8. Also I’m not sure how much effort changing the studs to longer ones is as all the ones I’ve seen for sale recently have been the standard 26mm hole and not the larger one to use with retrofit nuts.

Paul

there’s a set of 8 here cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? … SS:GB:1123

odd tyre size though

repton:

Wheel Nut:

I’ve never been much of a diary writer but I’ll see what I can do.

Thanks for the good wishes, I know I’ll need all the luck I can get to make it work in the current climate but hopefully I’ve done the sums right and the kit I’ve bought will turn out to be at least half decent. I’m looking forward to getting it on the weighbridge for the first time to see what my payload comes in at. I’m hoping for 30t in an ideal world but in practice as long as it’s the right side of 29.5t I’ll be happy enough. I might not quite hit the magic 30 as the trailer I bought is slightly bigger than I had first considered and the unit hasn’t (yet) got alloys on it. That said the trailer does have alloys and the Premium is a very light unit so you never know…

Paul

You’ll definitely be right side of 29.5t. My 54 plate premium with a 65cuyd trailer’s max tare was about 14200kg with me in the cab (steel wheels, split ali tank and merc axles, did have an ultra light Stewart canvas easysheet on though)