Fuel theft in feb 2009... driver arrested... but

as title states i had my fuel stolen in feb whilst parked up at seaham over night…

cops called and took statement… and took the pipe and 2 empty barrels away… said no chance of catching who did it but tey had an idea…

2 months later and forgotten about… copper called me to say that bloke arrested as they got DNA from pipe…

the bloke was up in court on the 15th sept… and hey guess what pleads NOT GUILTY… what a surprise

problem is … i have a letter in post today stating i have to go give evidence in court… now seaham is about 5 hours from me so need day off maybe two ( unpaid ) traveling costs etc …and poss a night in seaham depending on what happens…

courts will only pay loss of earnings upto £60 per day… well to start im out of pocket…and will pay 20p per mile traveling…

WHAT IS THE POINT… he will only get a slap on hand…

whats your veiws on this

Can you not get a run up there? but yea he will most probably get a slap on the wrist… can you not write a statement? I wouldn’t go its not worth it in my opinion gonna cost you to see him get a slap and you might not even get asked to give evidence so could end up a wasted journey.

Danny27404:
Can you not get a run up there? but yea he will most probably get a slap on the wrist… can you not write a statement? I wouldn’t go its not worth it in my opinion gonna cost you to see him get a slap and you might not even get asked to give evidence so could end up a wasted journey.

i have already done a statement… ok what can i say i didnt see him as i was asleep… thats it… everything else is in statement…

as i have been requested to go it looks like i have to … its the law lmao…

i will talk to boss on monday

ask the court to have the trial moved to your nearest court.

Are you saying it was a fellow driver that did it then? :astonished:

I would make the effort and do whatever needs to be done, slap on the wrist, out of pocket or not. Not turning up indicates apathy to me but then again, I ain’t no judge.

Saxon786:
Are you saying it was a fellow driver that did it then? :astonished:

no wasnt a driver… it was a thug from the town with 4x4 its not un heard of where i was parked…( out side yearsleys yard seaham )… so i was told after the event…

no sings up as usual… ( only sings i seem to see when trying to park up are ones wanting money from you… so ya cannot win )

i would go i now you might be out of pocket but it is the princple if they have dna the person has been in trouble before and your appearance in court just might give them the edge to put the person down.i sometimes pick groupage up at seaham and often run out of time there and end up spending the night on the ind est.it is well known that diesel goes missing i have been lucky and not had any pinched from there but that said i always park on the main road under alight with my tank facing the road and my cab curtains open i sleep very light there and any car lights would wake me up as soon as nine hours are up iam up and away

And I’m guessing that if he knows you’re there to give evidence,and the Police evidence is present as well,he will probably change his plea.

Ken.

I’m confused. Who’s DERV was nicked? Yours, as in your an Owner Driver… but seemingly not as you mention a boss, or the DERV belonging to the co. you work for? If so, why would you be out of pocket? Its their case, surely they must pay you for your time & travel costs?

If you were an O/D I could understand about the loss of earnings, not being worthwhile, etc. but not if it wasn’t your personal property.

If the guy is found guilty & ordered to pay recompense, who will that be paybable to? Not you if wasn’t yours to begin with that’s for sure.

As you say the Police had a good idea who was behind this and now have DNA evidence to make an arrest. It would be safe to assume that matey boy is well known to them - after all they wouldn’t have his DNA otherwise. I would expect the local Magistrates may have also had to previously deal with this parasite as well, so if I were in your position I would make every effort to go and see what happens. It may be his last strike for all you know and he may be on his way to jail, and whilst I think you will not be required to give evidence (as you were asleep so cannot make any material contribution other than being the aggrieved), it is important to ensure that these scumbags are put before the authorities. It will probably not stop him but even if he only gets a slap it would be worth it to see him grovel to the judge. If this is a trial at Crown Court definately go because the penalties can be severe depending on his previous.

Driveroneuk:
I’m confused. Who’s DERV was nicked? Yours, as in your an Owner Driver… but seemingly not as you mention a boss, or the DERV belonging to the co. you work for? If so, why would you be out of pocket? Its their case, surely they must pay you for your time & travel costs?

If you were an O/D I could understand about the loss of earnings, not being worthwhile, etc. but not if it wasn’t your personal property.

If the guy is found guilty & ordered to pay recompense, who will that be paybable to? Not you if wasn’t yours to begin with that’s for sure.

sorry i didnt make it clear :blush: yes its a company truck and there derv…

i take your point about them paying for it but i know its going to be like getting blood out of a stone lol… they only pay for what they have to… min hols no sick etc…will speak to them tomorow about it…