Fort William update:

Hi,thought id let u know how my week went after posting on here on monday worried about goin up to Fort William.
I ran up to Dunbar to tip and then reloaded at Blyth dock then up to tip at Alcan at Fort William,i got 3 loads done and ran back today.
The roads from Blyth to Sterling were horrible like across the country this week but i must say that from M9 J10 up to F.William the roads were great very frosty at times in the early hours but no snow whatsoeva,the gritters are on the ball up there i must of seen 4 gritters every trip they doin a good job.
The scenery up there over Glen coe is amazing ive promised to take the family up next summer to experience it cos ive neva seen out like it before,ive really enjoyed the week and they want more loads doing next week cos still havin problems gettin the train up so fingers crossed i will get up again next week.Ive just gota watch out for the ‘hell drivers’ up there hammering it round the tight blind corners,bit airey at times theyre probly used to it though. Some pics i took::

Jim stopped to make a brew at scottish border layby and got stuck,lol

-15 Tyndrum on wed am

Nice one. You do know your truck and username don’t match eh? :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

I used to work in a hotel in Tyndrum in 1978, I recall it could indeed get a bit fresh temperature wise and that still seems to be the case.

Excellent pics. It is a different world up there.

Stan

Coffeeholic:
Nice one. You do know your truck and username don’t match eh? :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

I used to work in a hotel in Tyndrum in 1978, I recall it could indeed get a bit fresh temperature wise and that still seems to be the case.

Hi I had the 16 up til couple wks ago and swapped it for the Magnum. :blush: I was only 3 in 78 ha ha

You lucky devil getting paid to drive up there :grimacing:

Bear in mind, if you take the family in the summer, it might look somewhat different :wink:

Yes id like them to see it with the snow and frost very breathtakin tbh,from start to finish i know the roads winding and bit dangerous but still id ratha be on there seein the sights than on the usual jaunt M25.

thanks very much for sharing such wonderful pictures
they are great one got up that way once would love to take
a long holiday in the summer up there travelling all over,

Glad you got on OK :smiley:

Its just as nice in the summer as well , living there all year you tend to take the scenery for granted.

As for the hell drivers :open_mouth: you will find most of them are well in on their own side and as long as you keep to your side of the road there will be no problems.

When you are used to these roads you get complacent and think everyone should be OK on them , i have now got to a point if its not a local i will slow down and give more room.

Could you tell your views to the guy driving your FH as well :unamused: , met him on Wed afternoon on the very tight corner south of Strarthyre :smiley: .

Its not only locals that whizz round corners in the middle of the road :wink: .

What do u drive dingo will look out for you,Yer ur rite we do av some knobhead drivers on for us,the roads just seem so narrow cos of the uncleared snow at sides makes it feel narrower.ur a lucky guy living up there. :smiley: :smiley:

The Gritting contractor in Northern Scotland ( Transerv) do a fantastic job in the most demanding climate in the UK . They have the best equipment and a few of the southern gritting firms could learn a thing or two from them ,
particularly BEAR Scotland who cover the eastern Scottish trunk roads and motorways .
They are an absolute joke !

Marty B7:
The Gritting contractor in Northern Scotland ( Transerv) do a fantastic job in the most demanding climate in the UK . They have the best equipment and a few of the southern gritting firms could learn a thing or two from them ,
particularly BEAR Scotland who cover the eastern Scottish trunk roads and motorways .

I can’t believe that shower have still got the contract!

44 Tonne Ton:

Marty B7:

I can’t believe that shower have still got the contract!

They got hunted from the north of scotland and replaced by Transerv .
I think they spent more time in court explaining how roads were not gritted at accident inquiries.

The M8 on tuesday night was an absolute joke . Police stopping traffic at Harthill services to allow one lorry at a time up the hill , the tail back went back past Whitburn and whats in the traffic jam ?..Yep , a single BEAR snowplow !
One snowplow on the M8 between Mossend and City By-pass and its sitting in a traffic jam . Sums this mob up .

It is stunning on that road up to Fort William & you should take your family although I understand they only had a little bit of snow there ( not like the rest of us ) although the "hills " had a nice covering

dingo are you local up there :question:

Some nice pics & agree the roads up to Edinburgh & round the M8 were abysmal

Stanley Knife:
Excellent pics. It is a different world up there.

Stan

there more proud up there then we are down here with our country’s. Nice pics btw

animal:

Yep i am local to the area , well from Inveraray ,Argyll.

Been driving those roads since i was 17 , so been at it a wee while now :blush:

dingo:

animal:

Yep i am local to the area , well from Inveraray ,Argyll.

Been driving those roads since i was 17 , so been at it a wee while now :blush:

Yep just my ex moved up there a few years ago he is the dj in Ossians ( if you go in say hi ) she work in the whisky shop on the high street kids sometimes go up there

It is awesome up there i used to live north of Spean Bridge i used to tear round there in my 4 wheeler merc :smiley:

I have cycled those roads quite a few times ,was a youth hosteller many moons ago.Always remember that there are lots of miles between fuel stations if you venture up to the real North of the country.