First Class C lesson today!

Just had my first lesson today and it was firkin great - as ive just been away on holiday,I was unable to book a week off and go down the intensive route so am taking lessons here and there with a test in 3-4 weeks max (maybe before).

Learning with a very small operation in my local area and driving a volvo (dont ask which type - 1. it was dark and 2. im not that much of a truck-spotter - it had a plaque with the number 290 on the drivers door if that helps) with a demountable box, so that with the box removed, the vehicle has been specially adapted so a 35ft trailer can be attached for c + e training.It has a 4 over 4 box on it which ive got the hang of pretty much(after 2 hours :blush: ).

Anyway,it went really well and my instructor reckons i`ll need a total of 6 lessons including the one tonight and the one before my test - really chuffed that it went so well and cant wait for my next lesson.

Will keep you all posted :slight_smile:

Glad it went well :smiley:
We dont get many on here who do their lessons as you are doing - most do an intensive course - I am interested to find out how you get on.

Another lesson next week :wink:

A quick update - had my second lesson yesterday - gear change exercise done amongst other things. It was a lot easier than when i sat my bus test - no double declutching to do :stuck_out_tongue: normal driving went pretty well only went for the wrong gear a couple of times(changing from low to high and looking for fifth where my left knee was :blush: ) looking at my test being end of the month/first week of december.

Will keep you posted :wink:

russjp:
only went for the wrong gear a couple of times(changing from low to high and looking for fifth where my left knee was :blush: )

could have been worse, like trying to ram it into reverse or crawler :open_mouth: :wink: :laughing:

Had another lesson today - reversing exercise and braking exercise included and all went very well - gearbox use was a lot better too :slight_smile:

Was supposed to be having two more lessons before my test(6th dec)but my instructor says that i dont need them all and would just be paying for more than i need so i`ve got one lesson next week then my test on the 6th with a 2 hour refresher lesson before it :wink:

HI mate,
Sounds like your lessons are going well. Just out of interest who are you training with?
Thanks Q

One man band operation called Twinways in Coundon - came highly recommended and so far i`ve no complaints :slight_smile:

russjp:
Had another lesson today - reversing exercise and braking exercise included and all went very well - gearbox use was a lot better too :slight_smile:

Was supposed to be having two more lessons before my test(6th dec)but my instructor says that i dont need them all and would just be paying for more than i need so i`ve got one lesson next week then my test on the 6th with a 2 hour refresher lesson before it :wink:

I’m still following your progress with interest as you are doing it in stages rather than intensive.

I feel like i`m being watched now :confused:

russjp:
I feel like i`m being watched now :confused:

Keep looking in your mirrors :open_mouth: :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

Another update - had my last lesson before test day today (6th dec)

Had a bit of extra driving time today and was also a bit of a mock test.Covered all the bases - gear change exercise,braking exercise,safety questions,uphill and downhill starts followed by a good 2 hour drive and on the plus side,i managed to do all things correct and had a very good drive - unfortunately on the negative side,i would have failed my test on 1 thing - I travelled down a road with a bus lane on it and stayed out of the bus lane - this would normally be ok but there was a time restriction on the bus lane which wasn`t in force so i should have been in the bus lane :cry:

Apart from this one mistake,my instructor told me that i would have easily passed so not feeling too negative about it.

The only concern i have is that many trainees appear to have a day where they make lots of mistakes and everything goes wrong - I havent had one of these yet and am hoping it doesnt occur on test day :confused:

The only concern i have is that many trainees appear to have a day where they make lots of mistakes and everything goes wrong - I havent had one of these yet and am hoping it doesnt occur on test day

In my opinion, the off dat occurs due to brain overload about half way through an intensive course. As your course is different then, in my opinion, you wont get that day.
Do not drive differently on test day - you now know what to do, so DEMONSTRATE that to the other person in the passenger seat - just as if you had to DEMONSTRATE to some-one on their first day in a lorry.

Imagine this - you are at the end of your training and a newbie on their first day is to double up with you. The instructor says to you “I’m not going to do the demo drive, you are and I trust you that much that I am going to have 40 winks - off you go”