First Aid

Ive just been pre-warned tonight that similar to the DCPC Qualification needed to drive professionally, All HGV and PCV Drivers will have to undergo and pass a First Aid course to also drive professionally, as we could save someones life on the scene of an accident… anyone heard similar or know anything from official sources?

Bloody part time Paramedics soon us! No pay rise though for skills and qualities I suppose!

We already have to be Lawyers, Police, Mechanics, Tyre Fitters, Cleaners, Fork truck drivers, Accountants, Load Planners & anything else you can think of (I bet a Wagon Driver has even delivered a Baby)
So Paramedic is just another profession we will be able to do. Lol. (Then we can have Blue Flashing Lights & Sirens on our Cabs)

Good idea. Why wouldn’t you want the skills to save someone’s life?

I done a first aid course couple weeks ago ,(paid for by employer) as 7 hours worth of dcpc ■■■■■■■■ ! I’m not a doctor thou but I could help save a close family members life one day !

stev:
I done a first aid course couple weeks ago ,(paid for by employer) as 7 hours worth of dcpc ■■■■■■■■ ! I’m not a doctor thou but I could help save a close family members life one day !

I am doing one next weekend, but would you really want to use it after only 7 hours training by some dcpc trainer if you do anything wrong think how they would sue you

Never heard so much twaddle. If this does became a requirement just to drive I hope I’m never in need!

Have you seen some of the ‘professionals’ out there!!!

Another jackanory that’s been going round for years. if it were to be implemented it would be for all riders and drivers of all vehicles ( think the Swiss have it built into their tests see below) pointless if its just for truck drivers if you think of it since there are more cars on the road than trucks…

geneva.angloinfo.com/information … ving-test/

The steps to obtaining a Swiss licence are:
-Complete ten hours of first aid instruction (Nothelferkurs/premier secours)
-Successfully complete the driving theory test
-A provisional licence/learner’s permit is issued
-Complete eight hours of road awareness theory courses (Verkehrskunde/sensibilisation)
-Successfully complete the practical examination
-Obtain a Swiss driving licence (for new drivers, two further training courses will be necessary over the next 3 years)

mac12:

stev:

I am doing one next weekend, but would you really want to use it after only 7 hours training by some dcpc trainer if you do anything wrong think how they would sue you

I imagine any case that got to court would be thrown out pretty quick.
Heaven forbid you’re ever in the situation but could you really stand and watch a man burn to death in a car because you’re too scared to pull him out in case you paralyse him? Extreme but that is the top end of your argument.

I have watched someone die…There was no way I was giving first aid with all the crap that was coming out of his mouth as he had a massive heart attack, I was a trained first aider, but the guy was old, obese and if I am to be honest, it didn`t look worth it…To save his life.

This may sound harsh to some, but I never have understood this enthusiasm to save another persons life :confused:

So if it ever became a requirement, I would pass the test etc…But in the event, it would not be me doing anything, that is for others who get this saving a life thing.

Just my honest opinion, it may seem strange to others, but I have done it twice now, I have no compulsion to save another human being in any situation.

10-08:

mac12:

stev:

Heaven forbid you’re ever in the situation but could you really stand and watch a man burn to death in a car because you’re too scared to pull him out in case you paralyse him? Extreme but that is the top end of your argument.

I stand to be corrected but which first aid course would advocate putting yourself in line to become anther casualty? Help the injured party once out of the vehicle but the intention of first aid is to preserve life until more qualified, equipped people arrive at scene.

I’ve always maintained that first aid should be a compulsory part of the school curriculum, far more use than most of the ■■■■■ they teach. I’ll be updating my 1st Aid/first on scene next year.

The first thing you learn is not to become another casualty as that divides the resources available to deal with the first victim.

Wiretwister:

10-08:

mac12:

stev:

I stand to be corrected but which first aid course would advocate putting yourself in line to become anther casualty? Help the injured party once out of the vehicle but the intention of first aid is to preserve life until more qualified, equipped people arrive at scene.

ok touchè no first aid course would encourage you to put yourself in danger. But it is completely beyond me how you wouldn’t try to help. Adrenaline just takes over, you see what needs doing so you do it not stand around going; oh it’s not my problem / I might get sued / somebody do something!

Right, alarm bells are ringing here!!!
I’m also an army reservist, we are given comprehensive training on this subject, as you would expect, however, were also told we should’t use these skills in civi street, reason being that if you were to do something to a casualty that then results in them surviving, although paralysed from the waist down, then potentially you could find yourself in court & looking at a compensation claim!!!
Now, there’s no way on this planet that I’m gonna watch someone burn alive in their car for fear of being prosecuted, but, picture the scene, your the 1st to arrive at an accident involving a biker, he’s come off & is lying face down in a hedge, there’s no one else to help & he’s unconcious.
He has only 3 minutes before his brain is starved of oxygen!! His only hope is for you to drag him out of the hedge, roll him over, remove his helmet & commence CPR, obviously the potential to do irreperable damage in that situation is horendous, but a familly who lost a loved one through your best intentions & prompted by an solicitor hungry for a commission could be driven to make that choice, and once one familly does it , I dare say it sets a precedent.
That’s just my tuppence on the subject :slight_smile:

DT@Leightonhaul:
I’m also an army reservist, we are given comprehensive training on this subject, as you would expect, however, were also told we should’t use these skills in civi street, reason being that if you were to do something to a casualty that then results in them surviving, although paralysed from the waist down, then potentially you could find yourself in court & looking at a compensation claim!!!

Don’t think that has ever happened in the UK

Now, there’s no way on this planet that I’m gonna watch someone burn alive in their car for fear of being prosecuted, but, picture the scene, your the 1st to arrive at an accident involving a biker, he’s come off & is lying face down in a hedge, there’s no one else to help & he’s unconcious.
He has only 3 minutes before his brain is starved of oxygen!! His only hope is for you to drag him out of the hedge, roll him over, remove his helmet & commence CPR, obviously the potential to do irreperable damage in that situation is horendous, but a familly who lost a loved one through your best intentions & prompted by an solicitor hungry for a commission could be driven to make that choice, and once one familly does it , I dare say it sets a precedent.

That will never happen as you would just as likely in the next breath be taken to court for doing nothing

I’ve attended such incidents 1 died the other lived it was a no brainer . if the cas is breathing leave the helmet on.
Any casualty that’s screaming is alive its the quiet ones you need to watch.

Duty of Care & The Law

Disclaimer: because of the generalisations made in this article, it should be taken only as guidance. For further information, consult the United Kingdom Resuscitation Council document “The legal status of those who attempt resuscitation.” or a legal expert.

One of the most common questions we receive is “Will I get sued if I give first aid to a casualty?”

This is a reasonable question given the increasingly litigious world we live in. The following article provides some of the important factors that must be considered to protect both yourself and the casualty.

This article is not intended to frighten or deter a potential First Aider, rather inform potential rescuers of the current legal situation where examples exist.

The most important thing to remember is that to date, no one in the UK has ever been sued for administering life-saving First Aid. The reasons — and how you protect yourself from litigation — are explained below.

realfirstaid.co.uk/dutyofcare/

Nick2008’s post above beat me to it but…AFAIK No-one has ever been sued IN THIS COUNTRY for trying to help someone - e.g. administering initial first aid. In the U.S.A. maybe, but we haven’t got to that stage yet. As for not wanting to attempt to save a life, what if it happened to be a work colleague lying unconscious?? Or even a family member?? Lastly, would you want someone to attempt to save your life? Yes or no?
As some have said, never put yourself at risk, if in doubt call 999 & always remember you are not obliged to give first aid if you don’t want to - only if you choose to (although I think it is an obligation in certain EU states). TBH I think 7 hours first aid ‘awareness’ could be very useful to most of us as part of DCPC Periodic Training, why not? We’ve got 35 hours to do anyway!!!

id be no good i cant stand blood and guts :frowning: :frowning:

Daz1970:
Nick2008’s post above beat me to it but…AFAIK No-one has ever been sued IN THIS COUNTRY for trying to help someone - e.g. administering initial first aid. In the U.S.A. maybe, but we haven’t got to that stage yet. As for not wanting to attempt to save a life, what if it happened to be a work colleague lying unconscious?? Or even a family member?? Lastly, would you want someone to attempt to save your life? Yes or no?
As some have said, never put yourself at risk, if in doubt call 999 & always remember you are not obliged to give first aid if you don’t want to - only if you choose to (although I think it is an obligation in certain EU states). TBH I think 7 hours first aid ‘awareness’ could be very useful to most of us as part of DCPC Periodic Training, why not? We’ve got 35 hours to do anyway!!!

if you make the 999 call that’s enough of a get out of jail free card .

I am afraid there are a load of people out there that will lack the confidence to do any first aid in any shape or form.
would I want some big Bertha slobbering down my throat just having a go :open_mouth: with the side garnish of what ever diseases she has blowing my lungs up like a world record attempt at blowing up hot water bottles no I don’t think so.
If your not trained I really think that you should not go into things.

I did my training years ago and yes I’m outta date with it all but still know the basics loosen clothing :wink: :wink: etc

like I said if they are making noise then they will last hopefully a little longer till the pros arrive.

nick2008:

DT@Leightonhaul:

Don’t think that has ever happened in the UK

That will never happen as you would just as likely in the next breath be taken to court for doing nothing

I’ve attended such incidents 1 died the other lived it was a no brainer . if the cas is breathing leave the helmet on.
Any casualty that’s screaming is alive its the quiet ones you need to watch.

It MIGHT not have happened yet, but will in time, the current blame/claim culture will ensure that.
And if he’s not breathing?? Or after extracating him/her from the hedge the cas then relapses & stops breathing??
Think there needs to be some clarification before this could ever be included into a driving test or made law.

This was covered on my recent EFAAW (emergency first aid at work) course.
They tried a couple of test cases and they were thrown out. If you are trained, and you tried, then you’ll be fine.

If the cas isn’t breathing then they WILL die.
If you paralyse them but they live then they are still alive. Which is a better scenario than if you did nothing.
If you drag them out, resus them and then they relapse and stop breathing again then you just start CPR again.
And the paramedics will be that much closer.

Part of the first aid training tells you to check for danger before doing anything. That is the first step.
Why is the casualty a casualty?
You can’t help someone if you’re lying on the floor next to them also unconscious and not breathing…