First Aid

J_K:
This was covered on my recent EFAAW (emergency first aid at work) course.
They tried a couple of test cases and they were thrown out. If you are trained, and you tried, then you’ll be fine.

If the cas isn’t breathing then they WILL die.
If you paralyse them but they live then they are still alive. Which is a better scenario than if you did nothing.
If you drag them out, resus them and then they relapse and stop breathing again then you just start CPR again.
And the paramedics will be that much closer.

Part of the first aid training tells you to check for danger before doing anything. That is the first step.
Why is the casualty a casualty?
You can’t help someone if you’re lying on the floor next to them also unconscious and not breathing…

Someone with a bit of sense at last

Derf:

J_K:
This was covered on my recent EFAAW (emergency first aid at work) course.
They tried a couple of test cases and they were thrown out. If you are trained, and you tried, then you’ll be fine.

If the cas isn’t breathing then they WILL die.
If you paralyse them but they live then they are still alive. Which is a better scenario than if you did nothing.
If you drag them out, resus them and then they relapse and stop breathing again then you just start CPR again.
And the paramedics will be that much closer.

Part of the first aid training tells you to check for danger before doing anything. That is the first step.
Why is the casualty a casualty?
You can’t help someone if you’re lying on the floor next to them also unconscious

I was told by an technical instructor in 1987, that BMW, my employer at the time, would never fit airbags to vehicles in the uk because of the posible litigation issues. Here we are 27 years later and guess what, BMWs are fitted with airbags.
We only have to look at cases in court where someones house is broken into, the burgler gets injured while scrapping with the owner, the owner is arrested & charged & the burgler then sues for compensation.
We are professional drivers, NOT first aiders and at some point in the near future a person will be injured through the good intentions of a first aider,
Considering the laws that come out of brussells, that person may be found guilty and then ordered to pay compensation to that person or the familly of such, which will set a precedent for the future.
Whilst a judge may empathise with someone’s efforts to preserve & save life, if laws passed by the EU tie his hands then ■■■ me stand by!!!
Question is, are your first aid skills good enough and are you competent enough to prevent this happening■■?

I used to work for a large company that made and sold tractor parts.
I was asked to be the fire marshall for my office and said yes.
We had a half day training using fire extinguishers on this big LPG powered thing that simulated fires.
Last part of the training was.
If there is a fire in your office or the fire alarm sounds, make sure everyone is out of your office, close all windows and doors and DO NOT attempt to tackle the fire UNLESS it’s stopping you leaving the building.
Personally. I’d have had a go.
Same with first aid.
If I see someone injured and I think I can help, I will. Regardless of any chance of litigation.
I think it’s wrong that someone can accept first aid training but then not offer any help.
I think professional drivers should be taught first aid. My EFAAW course was also a CPC course.
90% of it I remembered from the last 3 first aid courses I attended.

Ive done all my CPC, paid for by my company, and at every single course I said we should have 1st aid training.
I think it’s a brilliant idea.

There is a big difference to being First aid trained to being a paramedic

1 of the 1st thing the do teach you is to call for help or get someone else to dont be a hero assess the situation But do not but yourself or anyone else in Danger

Simple many years ago ( 1993 ) yep I was First aid trained as were a few others ( back then a 3 day course now 1 day ) although not driving related a young girl ( 12 year old ) dropped down in front of my self & a few others ( running club ) we all rallied to help some took other kids back to base some called for help while others done CPR but all to no avail she died later in hospital but not for want of us all trying

If was in same situation I would do the same

I did come across a RTC called 999 told them the situation as were several casualties they despatched 3 of the emergency services although not a lot anyone could do except reassure all as non serious or unconscious just in shock ( although can be dangerous there is still a lot you can do )

Always stay calm

Then only going back a few years swimming club coach we had to do rescue test for swimmers teachers & coaches only a few mth after completing the course there was an accident I was 1st on hand had to lift a child out of pool ( my own btw ) not easy but had to stay calm which resulted in an overnight stay for him

Call for help asap even if that all you do

Do not panic

seth 70:
id be no good i cant stand blood and guts :frowning: :frowning:

+1

Did first aid course for powerboat licence several years ago and resuscitated a skier thanks to the course.
Did first aid course for dcpc (stayed for 8 hours instead of seven).
Reading some of the replies on here you would think they would stand by and watch their son/daughter die rather than learn a new skill that could save them.

Do you mean Diver First Assist @ driverfirstassist.org/

J_K:
If I see someone injured and I think I can help, I will. Regardless of any chance of litigation.
I think it’s wrong that someone can accept first aid training but then not offer any help.
I think professional drivers should be taught first aid. My EFAAW course was also a CPC course.
90% of it I remembered from the last 3 first aid courses I attended.

I think you’ll find that if your trained and you don’t offer your skills as a TRAINED Certified first aider and someone knows that your a first aider then you Could be liable…

Its all very good saying that everyone should do 1st aid but it has been said NOT EVERYONE is confident enough.
would you want some 6yr old who is a whiz at flight simulator to take control of the A340 because the crew have been rendered unable to land it :open_mouth:
or the 13yr old kid that plays truck simulator let him loose with a fully laden artic.

To be honest I think someone has seen this

sja.org.uk/sja/training-cour … t-aid.aspx

and taken it that all HGV and PSV drivers will be required to do it :unamused:
What you have to remember is a first aid course is a pass or fail . the DCPC is attendance only …

nick2008:
I think you’ll find that if your trained and you don’t offer your skills as a TRAINED Certified first aider and someone knows that your a first aider then you Could be liable…

I don’t think so.
That is the case in France though.

first aid should be part of Dcpc
its as simple as A B C

hitch:
its as simple as A B C

And what about us folks that pass out at the first sight of blood? We would never last the day on first aid, regardless of wether you just have to attend, or take a quiz.

Are you saying we should not be drivers and lose our livelyhood because of a weak constitution?

Yes I agree make the course available for those that want it, but don’t make it compulsory.

Semtex:

hitch:
its as simple as A B C

And what about us folks that pass out at the first sight of blood? We would never last the day on first aid, regardless of wether you just have to attend, or take a quiz.

Are you saying we should not be drivers and lose our livelyhood because of a weak constitution?

Yes I agree make the course available for those that want it, but don’t make it compulsory.

there’s no blood involved in an EFAAW course :wink:

Semtex:

hitch:
its as simple as A B C

Even if you dont like the site of blood there is still a lot you can do & not all accidents involve blood & guts

But yep some people just arnt as good as others in that sort of situation

Yes i agree first aid should be part of the DCPC ,how many times are hgv drivers first on the scene on accidents on the road.If they are not breathing so much can be done, because in 5 mins they are DEAD.
Klunk ,Nwas trained ECFR.
So in my ECFR (Enhanced community first responder) role i have saved quite a few lives and these people are alive today because of my NWAS (North west ambulance service) training.

I am also crap with blood (when it’s mine and it’s leaking) BUT I CAN hack it when it’s somebody else’s and they need my help!
But, I have to say that, over the years, whenever I’ve approached a casualty I am PRAYING for someone else to call out “I’m a doctor/nurse/paramedic/first aider” :wink:

I think that having a basic first aid training day as part of the DCPC would be a lot more beneficial than some of the crap covered on the DCPC at present,As for getting sued by someone who you have provided care to most countries have the good Samaritan law which protects the first aider from legal actions.
With a days basic first aid course a person would learn how to use a Defib, assess scene safety, CPR etc I know some people don’t like looking at blood/injuries sure there was a lad training with me as a medic who had to leave the class during the burns & soft tissue injury class.
There is also a good chance that you may never need to use it while out on the road,But more than likely use it while at home or out in a pub/ restaurant, If it ever becomes part of the DCPC it would be interesting to see if they credit me for a days training considering my qualification as a medic.

The worst thing that can happen is that you collapse in a crowded area like a shopping mall as everyone will look at you on the floor curiously but not do anything :laughing: :unamused:

If you don’t want to get involved make that 999 call to get the ambulance on the way.

99% of first aid is reassurance and calling for help from someone else. I’ve done my FAAW a few times now; I looked after a old lady once who fainted in a McDonalds in London. She was wearing a thick coat in boiling hot summer weather. I asked her to take her coat off and have a cool drink. She was fine afterward and we parted company no problems.

Mind you, no one else even took any notice of her, a little old lady flaked out on the floor :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Thank God I haven’t been involved in a big pile up or something. I really done know what I’d do until it happened, just do the best and ■■■■ the lawyers :laughing:

PS I think kids do do first aid at school now.