Should this be in dcpc

was talking to a biker friend at the weekend who explained who had been on a course called “first-bike” where they were trained what to do in the event that they were the first on the scene of a bike accident it covered first aid info to emergency services managing the scene looking for other casualty’s (pillion ? ) managing traffic flow at the scene etc .
would this be a better type of content for dcpc the ability to help and possibly save lives rather than ■■■■■■■■ about driving frugally

It was in one of the modules I took. Next time instead of just taking whatever is on offer from your local cheapo training centre to get your 35hrs in try to choose ones that you think you would benefit from from an institution which may charge a little more but at least provide some value for money. I took a first aid & manual handling module, the training was given by a former ambulance service paramedic and I don’t think there was a single person who left that room who didn’t feel they’d not benefitted from that days course.

We do training for Driver First Assist that’s a 7hr DCPC module covering first aid, accident response and ultimately allows the trainee to legally stop live traffic lanes (approved by all UK police forces/fire brigade/DVSA/NHS) by correctly positioning the vehicle.
So it does exist in a similar format.

Conor:
It was in one of the modules I took. Next time instead of just taking whatever is on offer from your local cheapo training centre to get your 35hrs in try to choose ones that you think you would benefit from from an institution which may charge a little more but at least provide some value for money. I took a first aid & manual handling module, the training was given by a former ambulance service paramedic and I don’t think there was a single person who left that room who didn’t feel they’d not benefited from that days course.

unfortunately i dont get a choice of when and which modules i am taking its up to the boss who is paying and chooses the days etc this is the guy who sent three of us for our ADR refresher and didnt pay the £25 uplift as it was too expensive then had to pay for all three of us to do our full cpc two months later !

Conor:
It was in one of the modules I took. Next time instead of just taking whatever is on offer from your local cheapo training centre to get your 35hrs in try to choose ones that you think you would benefit from from an institution which may charge a little more but at least provide some value for money. I took a first aid & manual handling module, the training was given by a former ambulance service paramedic and I don’t think there was a single person who left that room who didn’t feel they’d not benefitted from that days course.

Entirely agree. It was the only module from which I think I benefitted. In the class were some PSV bus drivers. When the instructor got into his lesson, one of the PSVs said that it was a sacking offence to touch a passenger. He said that he would willingly throw the first aid kit to the casualty but wouldn’t touch him. probably joking.

in principle yes its a good idea - right up until someone sues you for giving poor treatment etc.

judging by the amount of questions on here a lot need to do tacho rules and regs 5 times as a minimum.

You are protected in law against being sued in the UK for giving first aid. It’s never happened yet, and never will, provided people do what they think is best and appropriate (so no amateur surgery!)

from what I have read its not your protected its as you say the negligence part which will require proof.

given how many things people seem to sue for and win (see the numpty who won 6 figures for trapping his own foot in a tail lift) - you need to cover your ■■■.

First bike, why no just first aid then you can help out with any type of accident. I looked at the prices of St. John’s ambulance first aid dcpc as I fancied doing it but it’s really expensive :neutral_face:

Do these “first assist” people have a hi viz with such written on them, or how are you meant to know who has a right to stop you or not?
I’ve come across people stopping traffic in the past, and it turned out to be nothing more than a minor shunt, no injuries. Person stopping traffic had no business interfering, just one of those knobheads that pitchup at an accident and bore all and sundry with their opinion of events.
I’ve done first aid courses in the past btw, but during the assessments I hated talking to those dummies. It reminded me of past employers. :laughing:

Bad enough with Womballs shutting 2 lanes so a fitter can adjust a mirror, we’d have Captain Twin spokes shutting a motorway for a splinter

I have attended a First Bike On Scene course delivered by the Northwest Ambulance Service and it was really good. Covered most of the content of a basic first aid course plus some specific motorbike (helmet removal) bits.

As a DCPC trainer I did used to have a 7 hours course based on a 1 day first aid course but also dealing with the actual accident scene at the roadside. I found the course difficult to sell and some people actively avoided the first aid course. I didn’t bother getting the course reapproved as it didn’t sell. I can only guess it is because of the rubbish about liability if it goes wrong. As has been said - in the UK you are protected when acting in someones best interest etc

So - these courses do already exists for DCPC. Just because your boss books and pays for your DCPC it doesn’t stop you going and doing an extra course off your own back to learn a useful skill :wink:

When I did First Aid I asked "what if the casualty is veiled/wearing a hijab etc."The consensus of opinion was to look the other way and keep it lit.If any man touches one of those, the woman would be ostracised by her own community.

Did first aid in feb as part of the cpc course which we are now qualified in first aid,which was better than the usual cpc stuff and did accident management today.

alamcculloch:
When I did First Aid I asked "what if the casualty is veiled/wearing a hijab etc."The consensus of opinion was to look the other way and keep it lit.If any man touches one of those, the woman would be ostracised by her own community.

If you saved a life I think silly unnecessary rules would be forgotten/ignored because it suits!!! Full face veil is not a religious requirement only personal or family wishes.

Euro:

Conor:

Entirely agree. It was the only module from which I think I benefitted. In the class were some PSV bus drivers. When the instructor got into his lesson, one of the PSVs said that it was a sacking offence to touch a passenger. He said that he would willingly throw the first aid kit to the casualty but wouldn’t touch him. probably joking.

I’m a bus driver, thats not strictly true, however, my company will not include 1st aid in cpc training.

Yes I think it would be first on list.

Muckaway:
Do these “first assist” people have a hi viz with such written on them, or how are you meant to know who has a right to stop you or not?
I’ve come across people stopping traffic in the past, and it turned out to be nothing more than a minor shunt, no injuries. Person stopping traffic had no business interfering, just one of those knobheads that pitchup at an accident and bore all and sundry with their opinion of events.
I’ve done first aid courses in the past btw, but during the assessments I hated talking to those dummies. It reminded me of past employers. :laughing:

I tried to stop traffic once but that was a runaway horse. They still sped past me then had to hit the brakes so they didn’t run into 0.7t of scared muscle. Some travelly type bloke turned up out of nowhere, ran up to it and rode it back to the field. :laughing:

My second DCPC module was on basic first aid. Because it was only a day, it couldn’t go towards any first aid qualification; the minimum is three days.
It was interesting though and might help you out somewhere.

Khdgsa says no amateur surgery, Shep532 says he learnt about helmet removal - make your mind up guys!