financial help

hi guys , nice forum very informative .
im 38 & unemployed , can anyone tell me if there are any schemes in the midlands that can provide financial assistance for training . i have enquire to a few places about the european social fund but i cant find anything.
can anyone suggest anything?
thanks

Not being funny, If you want to do the training get a job and save up

ok fair point , this is my current plan of action and i start 2 jobs next month.
can anyone tell wot my likely spenditure will be from begining to end of training assuming i want to take a fastrack course?
thanks

Your looking at £800 to £1000 per course plus theory test(£21.50, medical(£40-£100

Andy_:
Your looking at £800 to £1000 per course plus theory test(£21.50, medical(£40-£100

Try doubling it at least. Mine was £1220 5 year back for class 2 and 1, plus another £500 for class 1 retest.

If he’s 38 like he says then he should already have 7.5 tonne entitlement if he’s been driving more than about 5 years, so for class 2 and 1 one including theory, medical and all the tuition etc I’d say he needs to have a minimum of £2000 in the bank and that’s not including any additional expenditure like if he fails the test for example.

LGV training costs have gone through the roof over this past few years from the prices I’ve seen people pay.

That’s expensive I only paid £710 + £88 test fee and that was last week, I suppose it all depends on where you live.

where was that andy? that sounds cheap
i am in midlands

www.atkinlgv.net based in bradford, Can’t fault them passed c and c+e first time and its 1 to 1 tuition. Might be worthwhile you staying at a b&b if you can’t find anything cheaper.

Sorry to ■■■■ in :laughing: but is only 4 hrs a day training normal? I was under the impression it was allday :confused: That is what that link posted says.

Andy_:
www.atkinlgv.net based in bradford, Can’t fault them passed c and c+e first time and its 1 to 1 tuition. Might be worthwhile you staying at a b&b if you can’t find anything cheaper.

Hope they’ve improved a lot then because they used to have a diabolical pass rate and also train 2 of you at the same time and if I recall correctly used to use a flat bed drag on the back of the rigid they’ve got. I used to live just round the corner from their yard and they didn’t have a good reputation back then.

swordtail:
Sorry to ■■■■ in :laughing: but is only 4 hrs a day training normal? I was under the impression it was allday :confused: That is what that link posted says.

Yes 4hrs is the norm. It’s because after 4hrs intense training most people have had enough and start to lose their concentration.

Rob K:
Hope they’ve improved a lot then because they used to have a diabolical pass rate and also train 2 of you at the same time and if I recall correctly used to use a flat bed drag on the back of the rigid they’ve got. I used to live just round the corner from their yard and they didn’t have a good reputation back then.

They have a newish fleet of scania’s now and the training is 1to1, Like I said they were spot on.

Andy_:
That’s expensive I only paid £710 + £88 test fee and that was last week, I suppose it all depends on where you live.

EXPENSIVE :open_mouth:
mine cost £1800 for class 1&2
think i was ripped off :unamused:

me ,wills and i think there is another lad aswell that are using or about to use central transport training in wolverhampton im paying 595 for cours plus 107 for a saturday test 702 all in that for class 1 , class 2 is same price

does that mean for class 1&2 it is 1400 pounds?

yeh but remeber to add on your medical fee and theorey test before u start class 2 u wont need to them for class 1

Also keep a bit back in case you don’t pass first time and need more tuition/practice or (if you have a long wait for a retest) refresher time.

hi guyz just thought id update this thread, wasnt sure which direction to go in lgv or pcv so after some research i have decided that i will go for lgv , the stage im at right now is iv had medical sent off for provisional & about to start research on theory, oh & by the way the gorvernment seem to have withdrawn all aid in this area, so i have saved the money.
also havnt decided yet which training firm to use, seems to be either central, george lovatt, hughes, or att.

t3,

I am also based in the midlands (Walsall) and I start my class 1 in a couple of weeks.

Did some ringing around a few weeks ago and the figures I was quoted were (Off the top of my head):

CTT (Wolverhampton) approx £680
British HGV (Cannock) approx £850
Westgate (Aldridge) approx £850
West Midlands Transport Training (Aldridge) £747 (I know this one coz I had the free assessment and signed up :smiley:).

These were all five day course Monday Thru Thusday with the test on the Friday (Prices are slightly higher if you go for a Saturday test), and all apart from West Midlands Transport were 2 to 1 student to instructor ratio.

Class 1 & 2 prices were all the same.

I used CTT for my class 2 three years ago and can recommned them, the only reason I have not gone back for class 1 is because they use flatbed wagon and drag, unless you are willing to pay extra for the artic and I am getting 1 to 1 instruction with West Midlands Transport which means more driving time for me :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Hope this helps.

Ian.

so would it be a good bet to do class2 with west mids transport training?
do you have a link for them?