Fiat Punto owners

Has anyone on here had a Fiat Punto?

The reason I ask,is because I went to look at an 83k, X plate 5 door today for the wife,and upon starting it,and during the test drive,it was slightly tappety from the top end.

The guy who was selling it,also had a 52 plate,3 door one,with the same engine,and after I had asked him to start that up,it was as quiet as a mouse.

Now it may be something and nothing,but then again it could be serious.The car is a minter,with service history,but the tapping worries me.

I would have posted this on the Honest John site,but it would seem that I’m not welcome,due to my views about car drivers v truck drivers. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Ken.

Mrs. Gnome’s had one for a few months. S plate 1.1 3-door. Timing belt went after a few hundred miles, cost us about £350 to put right (belt, skim head, two valves) but it’s been fine since.

Not a bad little motor to drive, and unlike earlier Fiats the body seems to be quite good…

i used to work in the breakdown game and came accross a lot of these with blown head gaskets. but like most small cars which are used on fast roads this can be common esp when regular servicing if forgone, has it got good history in that area

wahey, im onto the honest john site to sort out some of these sales reps who dont give us truckers any respect

Dogmatix:
wahey, im onto the honest john site to sort out some of these sales reps who dont give us truckers any respect

Unfortunately some of the “truckers” on there don’t help themselves much! :wink:

Could be old thin oil, see what it’s like on the dipstick if you haven’t already.

mucky:
i used to work in the breakdown game and came accross a lot of these with blown head gaskets. but like most small cars which are used on fast roads this can be common esp when regular servicing if forgone, has it got good history in that area

happened me bravo after about a year and a half from new

bloody thing only came with a one year warranty

I had a Bravo once :frowning: absolutely gorgeous car IMHO, Within 2 years it had a new throttle body, Head Gasket, new ECU (x2), stereo stopped working, sunroof kept messing up, 'leccy window switches go and the air conditioning pack up.

But they are great fun are little Fiat’s, I’d still have another one if they still made it 3 door, but when you buy a Fiat just remember it probably will go wrong!

(oh…beggar… just realised the roots of what’s in my avi :smiley: )

Alex

Remember Fiat stands for…Fix It Again Toni