Shogun 2.8 4x4

I have been offered one of these and I am quite tempted to buy it, has anyone owned one of these and are they reliable and what are they like for parts etc. It is a 2000 2.8 turbo diesel 7 seater with full history done 114,000 alloys and tow bar (double socket) unmarked body 12months mot and 3 months tax. They are asking £2800 for it.

not long sold mine after 6 years.

good old reliable bus if it’s been looked after, biggest problem is if they overheat the head warps very easy and can lead to loads of probs if not fixed properly - the head has ceramic dowls so getting it skimmed is nigh on impossible.
Parts are easy to get and home diy is easy if you’ve got basic skills.

If it’s a UK shogun then check for rust on the chassis and rear wheel arches under the arch trims, Pajero imports often have less of a problem with this but are not factory undersealed.

The main downside to them in the current climate is the fuel economy - they are dreadful, mine was struggling to do 20mpg even on a run driving sensibly so ask yourself if you really can afford to run it and actually need a big slow 4x4 before parting with your money.

I loved mine, took me many places other vehicles wouldn’t and had huge fun getting there!

Get one much cheaper than that if you shop. I’ve had 2. Service 'em regular and grease the axles. Reliable as a Swiss watch. Thirsty ■■■■■■■■ though. :sunglasses:

that sounds expensive to me . having said that if you do buy it it’ll be reliable if its been looked after .

p.s. if you decide to look around for another one then steer clear of the 2.5 , they are slow enough to ■■■■ miss daisy off and they are timing belt engines .

had a 2.5 pajero( same as shogun) for nearly 7 yrs never had any problems with it and would buy another good solid car dont buy one if you want a preformance car check the gearbox is all working fine check underneath for signs of off road damage they are thirsty cars parts not a problem and not the cheapest to insure but very reliable knock him down on that price the big thirsty 4x4s aint selling

Don’t know about this make & model , although I have found in the past that the so called ‘reliable’ ones usually seem to come with a Big Bill if or when they do go wrong :confused: how reliable doesn’t come with a garauntee :unamused: Usually high on fuel costs & insurances can be high variably too :neutral_face: sorry about the spelling-dictionary gone AWOL again :unamused:

Had one until recently,got to agree with most off the posts about there thirst could only get about 20mpg out off it,mate had the v6 petrol one and he was getting 18mpg!.Never let me down in the 30,000 miles i had it only to replace bits and pieces for MOT and i got them mail order from milneroffroad.com. :sunglasses:
Meant to say we also pulled a Renault Premium loaded with chipboard with it!!

They are very heavy on fuel so take this into consideration before you part with your cash. Take a look on autotrader to look at comparable shoguns & check out the performance & economy section.

Mate of mine has a 2.8 pajero- same engine, he drives like a granny and only just squeezes 28 mpg out of it. Even that is otomistic i think.

bought a l reg pajero 2.8 lwb about 2 months ago went for its mot dec well chuffed only a bulb out on rear registration light
starts first time gets all my sea fishing gear in tows the caravan with ease

as said not too great on fuel
waiting for the snow now though lol

cost me 1000 on ebay or any other sites that are available

love mine just thirsty.

If its a 2000 surely it will be the newer model?

i would rather get a older deisel model and sod pay that much for one especially a petrol

Naaa leave well alone 4x4 are for drug dealers or farmers and youll look a right ■■■ driving one, but not over 30mph on a corner that’s when they tip over. :laughing:

skids:
If its a 2000 surely it will be the newer model?

Only the facelifted one with the boxed arches possibly but underneath a 2.8 diesel of any denomination is exactly the same underneath

I used a 2.8 LWB P reg 1996 one for work towing a Brenderup trailer doing berlingo van deliveries all over the country, lovely old thing loved it,during the time i used it, it needed new shocks various bits of welding but other than regular servicing it was bullet proof, lucky to get 10-15mpg out of it on the motorways,eventually it was sold with 369,000 miles on the clock. :laughing:

I had one, and it was a great vehicle, i was told by my insurance company to stay away from the pajero as it was very expensive to insure.
If i was you, i would go for the big engine ( petrol ) and convert it to lpg, but look at the cost first, the tank could go where the 7th seats are.

Prone to serious/expensive water leaks. My old 2.8 SWB was a nightmere, drove it to southern Spain and around for a few months and it barely made it home. This was after doing headgasket, new water pump, seals, radiator. Water leak came back eventually, just a few 1000 miles later. Sold it to a Polish guy who wanted to export it :smiley: Was great other than that, very capable off road.

Thanks for all the replies guys but I have decided to pass on it having read them all hopefully I might get something a bit more economical any suggestions !!

Fiat 500 ? they’re economical :wink: